1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever tried Larabar's?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by nksmith, Nov 10, 2007.

1. nksmith

nksmith Well-Known Member

I've recently been eating these as a snack. They are incredible delicious, and from what I can tell, fairly decent for you. My favorite is the Cashew Cookie one, and the only ingredients are dates and cashews. I don't think there are any processed ingredients in the other ones either. Not too much protein, but as a treat they're great. Check em' out.

https://www.larabar.com/

2. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

love them, love them, love them. cashew cookie is my favorite, too. :dreamy:

they go well with protein powder for on-the-go meals.

3. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

Thanks for that, their site says they sell them at a store just around the corner from me and I'm going to try them tomorrow!

Nifty idea they have, looks like they use dates for sweetness and to hold everything together. Not only can I pronounce every ingredient, but I probably have half of them in my cupboard and the ones I don't I can buy at any grocery store (without visiting the chemicals isle).

4. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I like them, but I only ever bought them once, when they were on a super special. For me, it's just as easy to carry around a little bag of cashews and dates to snack on.

5. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

Are they pretty expensive?
    I went to get some today but the place that sells them isn't open on sundays :nope:

6. NYTrooper

NYTrooper Active Member

I checked out their website & thought they looked awesome, so I bought one of each flavor. My Target sells them @ $1.39 each. Thanks for the tip guys, they are fantastic.

7. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

They're delicious :D

8. deleteall

deleteall Well-Known Member

They're excellent!! Trader Joe's always has them at a good price.

9. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I think they're about $1.99 at Superstore or Shopper's Drug Mart. It's about 50 - 75 cents worth of nuts and dates, so I don't buy them unless they're half price. But others might like them for the portion control, and the different flavors would add some uniqueness.

10. nksmith

I buy them for about $1.39 as well. They are perfect for an afternoon snack and portion control is definately an issue :D I could easily down an entire bag of nuts and dates (although I would love to eat about 4 larabars in a row too).

The cashew cookie flavor actually tastes better than a cookie to me....

11. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

After reading this thread, I bought one at the grocery store near my work, for a snack and out of curiosity. Man, it made me want to puke...way too sweet for my taste.:(

12. nksmith

Which kind did you try? I definately like the cashew cookie one the best. It seems to be less sweet than some of the others....

13. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

I had the cherry pie...it was weird, I was about half way through the bar and my stomach began to churn. Not a pleasant feeling :nono:

14. Brian Golden

Brian Golden Well-Known Member

I realize this is a very old post, but I ended up buying an 18 pack at Costco, which roughly came out to $1.00 a piece.

Is probably cheaper to make them yourself. They are basically unprocessed, come with about two to four ingredients per bar. Each bar has roughly 13-15 grams of sugar, however, the sugar is natural so.

15. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

It would be pretty darn easy to make oneself a batch of cashew cookie larabars, eh? Maybe you could throw in some protein and see how it tastes :)

Natural or not, though, that is a good chunk of sugar for being paired with a high carb fatty nut.

16. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:nod:

Just because it sounds like a health food product, doesn't mean it's a health food product.

I'd use this as a substitute for a chocolate bar or granola bar or bran muffin, or as a snack if I have a huge craving for sweets, but I don't pretend it's a good substitute for a meal. Like the others said, if I was in a hurry and wasn't particularly worried about my protein intake, then I'd go for it.

Here's the recipe I use (without the butter). It calls for flour. Can't remember if I've ever tried substituting oats into the recipe or not.

Sugarless bars :drool:

17. Brian Golden

1/2 cup margarine
    1/4 teaspoon salt

?

What is the nutritional information for the sugarless bars? Seems to me you are still going to have just as much sugar in these sugarless bars as a larabar since:

1/2 cup pitted dates
    1/2 cup pitted prunes
    1/2 cup chopped raisins

So the issue is the fat and the carbs together. . .?

Edit: I have read prior theory that as long as fat does not exceed 10g the meal can still be considered protein/carb.

18. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean that my version was better. The reason I make them from scratch is because they're cheaper.

The original nutrition value (with the butter) is on the site. I don't worry about the nutrition information so much because anything that's mainly dried fruit and nuts is just a treat or a snack that I eat in very small quantities. I wouldn't use this as a main part of a meal.

Well, you'd have to look at how many grams of protein and carbs it contains as well. If it's only 20 or fewer grams of protein, then it would still have more calories from fat than from protein.

19. Brian Golden

Any good substitute for butter that tastes?

I imagine olive oil and bars/muffins = meh! :D

20. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Butter.