1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else using Intermittent Fasting approaches?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by kinewone, Feb 26, 2010.

1. kinewone

kinewone Active Member

Be it Warrior Diet, Eat Stop Eat, Leangains, Fast-5, etc, who else is using these approaches and how do you find it? In the past, I've internalized a lot of the stuff that seems like sacred cows in the fitness world (eat every 2-3 hours to increase metabolism, otherwise starvation mode etc). Well, after lots of reading it seems like a lot of those core beliefs were not quite true. Now I'm not here to proselytize or say that 6+ meals a day is silly or a waste of time or anything. Hell, the best approach to your diet is the one you can stick with over the long haul. I'm curious as to the communities experiences and thoughts on IF.

Personally, I started IF with the Warrior Diet and really liked it. I'm currently working with Martin Berkhan at Leangains and have made pretty good progress IMHO.

Cheers!

2. BJ

BJ Active Member

3. needachange

needachange Active Member

4. kinewone

kinewone Active Member

5. needachange

You said Warrior Diet in your origional post. Warrior Diet consists of eating one giant meal a day.

IF kinda follows the same principals only you have a feeding window. So essentially you are eating for "one" period during the day.

6. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

and I believe IF has more studies backing it up, but I'm not entirely sure. I tried IF for one day but I was too hungry by the time chow time came about.:D

7. George

George Senior Member

What kind of calories are you guys hitting with the single meal/short window approach? Is everyone cutting?

EDIT: Almost forgot; from what I understand, eating infrequently may lead to a higher risk of gallstone formation (at least that's what they taught me in clown college). Is this a concern in the IF community?

#7 George, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  8. kinewone

kinewone Active Member

Ah. Ok. I said I was originally doing WD which is 1 meal a day. Leangains, which I'm doing now is more than 1 meal a day.

This part is copied from the leangains site:

IF, as a concept, covers multiple methods of fasting/feeding:

* ADF (alternate day fasting, 36/12 hrs fast/feed)
    * Warrior Diet (20/4 hrs fast/feed)
    * Fast-5 (19/5 hrs fast/feed)
    * Eat Stop Eat (24 hrs fasting, 1-2x/week)
    * Leangains (16/8 hrs fast/feed)

@George

I'm currently shooting for strength and managed to put on some solid muscle with IF while my strength has gone through the roof (for me at least). Dunno about the gallstones. I'll hafta look into that

9. George

George Senior Member

Wow, how much are you eating? I guess I could see it being doable with the 8 hour window you're using. Trying to get all of my bulking calories in during a 4 hour window would suck, though.

10. kinewone

kinewone Active Member

Since I'm under consultation with leangains still and with non-disclosure and all that stuff I'm not really able to give you an exact number. But it's a fair amount of food per feeding. My PWO meal is frickin huuuuuuge though. It's kinda fun because because one of my workouts is right before a class so I eat during lecture. I practically have the seat beside me just for my food, hah.

I remember with WD that it's not really supposed to be a complete fast for 20 hours (although you can do that). So if you're trying to put on some weight or work at a kettlebell factory moving iron or something WD does recommend getting some fast absorbing proteins n carbs in ya. Regardless of cutting or bulking, WD is all about UNDEReating for the 20 hours then OVEReating for the 4 hours.

11. Nowhereman

That is cool, so your working with Martin? I'm really looking forward to the 4 horseman book.

12. Azure

Azure Active Member

I've played with it before.

Done the 10 hour fast. Didn't really have a problem with getting hungry at all. Actually helped me cut fat.

I like it just to throw my body a curveball.

Something different is always good.

13. George

George Senior Member

This thread made me curious so I decided to try it out for a day. :no: Or at least the 8 hour window. Mostly because I enjoy putting away a lot of food in one sitting. I'm going to pretend it's for science, though.

Just had "breakfast" at 9:10. Ate a little over 1600 calories without a problem. I'll have a slightly bigger meal in about 5-6 hours to finish up the rest of my daily cals.

14. kinewone

kinewone Active Member

yeah it's been good working with him. Can't say I'm not getting results.

George: Let us know what you think. How many cals are you planning to pack away in your last meal?

15. George

George Senior Member

A little over 1800. I took a picture. :lol:

[​IMG]

That's about a quart of whole milk, and there are 4 tablespoons of olive and cooking oil hidden in the food. Other than that there's 6oz cooked chicken breast, 8oz mixed veggies and legumes, 8oz kidney beans mixed with 8oz cooked brown rice and some chili sauce. I also put a little bbq sauce on the chicken :o

I was feeling pretty uncomfortable for a few minutes after this, but not "unlimited bowls at mongolian bbq" uncomfortable. Probably 'cause my stomach isn't used to this much volume.

It's a convenient way of eating, but it doesn't really work with my schedule. I have to lift in the mornings due to crowding issues at the gym, so that's when I would be doing the eating window. Unfortunately, I have a bunch of 80 minute lectures in the morning/early afternoon which makes big meals and their resulting bloat/bathroom trips inconvenient.
    Might be something to adopt later when I have a different schedule and am eating a little less.

16. needachange

I do more so Warrior Diet style eating. It takes a few days to get used to the hunger. The best way to do it is consume lots of water and eat some fruit through the day. After a while I stopped needing the fruit to satiate me through the day. Now I just drink water all day long. I get home from work do my workout fasted and then eat all my food.

Typical feast for me looks like this:

Directly after workout I take 2 Scoops ON 100% Whey in Water

Large Spinach Mixed Green Salad (full pre mixed salad bag) w/ Blue Cheese Dressing

Plate of veggies (usually 2 cups broccolli and 1 - 1.5 cups brown rice)

Protein, Two Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast or Large Ribeye Steak

3 Whole Eggs scrambled with shredded cheese and salsa

After that I will kinda eat whatever I want. Most of the time I eat Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream. Just depends on the day and what I feel like. I just make sure I hit my calories for the day.

17. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I do Eat-Stop-Eat (ESE), actually. Am back into it. I've been off and on it as I try other things, but in the end, I find it an easy way to manage weekly consumptions. Think I'll stick with it a while this time around.

After the first few fasts, I found hunger was not really much of a problem, nor did I ever get head-aches from it. Around lunch time at the office, however, all the other lunches being microwaved (which I hardly notice other days) smell crazy-good on fasting days. The senses perk up, and by the end of day when I have dinner (I go dinner to dinner when I fast), everything smells and tastes incredible.

Here's why I like it, though. Fasting has helped me identify my eating habits and cravings. I would take 3 or 4 small meals with me to work. I would have one every 3 hours, but I would always be watching the clock for when to have the next meal, not so much because I felt the "every three hours" was highly important but because I always WANTED that next meal.

I wasn't hungry, not really. I just knew the next meal was there and I wanted it. I'd crave the taste of it (which is more of my food weakness then actual hunger), and it would be very hard for me to wait the appropriate amount of time for the next meal. Never has the term "the food was taunting me" ever been more true.

And yet on fasting days, I go through a whole 20-24 hours without caring about eating. I might get a sensation of hunger, but it's gone quickly. Hunger, I found, is easy for me to deal with. The Taunting of food being within my grasp, that's much more difficult and is the general cause of my over-eating (not at work--I can mess up meal timing but not over-eating since that's all planned and I don't bring extra). It's something that fasting taught me; I had equated these cravings with hunger, but they aren't. It's something I need to watch out for, and I find that now that I have this information about myself, I am better prepared to deal with these cravings.

18. Nowhereman

Are you trying to tempt everyone with different angles of your BnJ's? I personally like Colbert's Americone Dream (with little bits of freedom)

19. needachange

Nah, I'm just on a really big Cinnamon Buns kick lately :lol:

20. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

After extensive perusal of articles,books and nutritional blogs I've come to the conclusion that the nutritional aspect of bodybuilding is THE most discussed yet least understood part of the game.

6 feedings a day for starters.....means what? Absolutely nothing unless you're a diabetic.

If you are NOT a diabetic, albeit you could become one by using this meal structure. Why? because with 6 feedings a day you're blood sugar/amino levels are constantly elevated, taxing your system to continually regulate abnormal insulin levels. Not so much a problem with a lifter who is 25 or younger....but as we get older the walls of the cells harden (which is one reason why older lifters don't gain muscle so much....the nutrients do not penetrate the cell walls as effectively).

In my view the body "plateaus' using various feeding forms....just as it plateaus from the same-old same-old routines.

I will go days where I depart from the standard eat-every-two-hours format.

The only time I would fret extensively over diet is if I was "cutting".

The Warrior diet, or 3 meals a day, or Pulse feeding, or any other way of eating is fine with me as long as take in the required nutrients and caloric requirements for my needs. However.....we need to keep our Insulin response system working correctly, and it can get very dulled by eating to the point where the stomach is never really empty in a 24 hour period , 7 days a week.

In my view, being in a continual state of amino/blood sugar elevation is no guarantee of anything in terms of strength or growth.

I also think that people pay far too much attention to diet/macros and the like...claiming that diet is 80% of the result. And with that quote they will immediately advise you to start taking protein feedings every 3 hours, with a nod to some protein/carb/fat ratio such as 40/20/20 or whatever is currently popular.
    This might be fine and dandy if you are trying to go from size 38 jeans to size 36....but it has little if anything to do with anything else.

From my own personal experience I have found:-

(1) Eating 6 meals a day will do nothing for you in terms of muscle gain if you are on an inferior program. Even if the 6 meals meet the caloric/nutritional requirements.

(2) I would almost dare to say the program is more important than diet...since everybody in this part of the world can't stop eating anyway, it seems. So most people have no problem meeting caloric requirements in North America.

(3) If all you/we do are Bicep curls, 15 minutes on the Eliptical, and some Rubber-band kickbacks....believe me, worrying about macros
    is a major waste of time.

(4) Recovery....the most mis-understood concept of weightlifting. Everybody can't wait to get down to the gym everyday and lift and lift and lift and lift and lift and lift and lift and lift and lift and lift and lift and lift and lift and lift...and then do some cardio and some more cardio and some more cardio and some more cardio and.....then some aerobics and some more aerobics and some more aerobics and some more aerobics and some more aerobics and some more aerobics and...well, hell, it's o.k. because they're taking Nitrean and now they're getting 5 hours a sleep a night instead of 4.
    They're bitching about hitting a plateau ?.....it's a wonder they ain't friggin' paraplegics!!...

Most of these people don't lift anything substantial enough for muscle growth...simply because they're training regimen won't allow it.
    You can lift heavy or you can lift long...but you can't lift heavy and long. If you try it you will nosedive quckly into overtraining and/or injuries.
    Many will try to overcome this setback with diet.....but part of growth is a healthy Central Nervous System (which just got fried from overtraining),plus genetics and our genetically programmed recovery rate.
    They will say "I'm not eating enough" or " I'm not getting enough protein" or " I'm eating too much carbs" or "I need to eat more often".
    etc.etc.
    Wrong. Actually they need to recover more. If they are overtraining they are overtraining.....and they can eat all the Whey they like ,as often as they like and it isn't going to make a bit of difference.

Fancy diets,fancy Macros and eating every time the clock chimes the hour are NOT miracle guarantees that results will take place. Neither will going from 100 grams of protein a day to 200 grams be a guarantee of anything either.

I think it is a good idea to change the food-intake schedule/ratio for a day or two every so often.

I don't believe in actual Fasting (where you go for days/weeks on end using some bullshit plan like the Lettuce and Water Diet etc etc.)

I think it serves absolutely no purpose unless your name is Jesus or you happen to be a Shaman.