1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyine taking Calcium/Magnesium supps or know about it?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Justitia, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I posted a thread in the Nutrition Forum about some issues re: taking Calcium & Magnesium.

As you all probably know, Calcium and Magnesium is considered a very important combination for women to start taking when they reach 40 to prevent osteoporosis. (They are beginning to recommend it for women in their 30's and 20's though in lower doeses.)

I, myself, have been taking it relgiously for 10 years.

It was brought to my attention in the last couple of weeks by 2 people (males) that Cal and Mag compete for the same receptors and should not be taken at the same time.

But almost all quality manufacturers of Calcium for Women package it as a combo Cal/Mag/Vit D (which is also important for the 3 to work together.)

My research comes up with articles demonstratingthe importance of all three being taken and that all three reinfoce each other...but none of what I have found addresses about taking them at the same time.

I am just starting to learn about recpetors; I haven;t a clue what all this means.

If you have anythiing offer or want to read the info posted there, please check out the thread and make whatever posts you want there.

TIA....Justitia

2. Weight-Tress

Weight-Tress Well-Known Member

Hi Justitia,

I recall either reading or seeing something years ago about taking 'hard' calcium pills.( and other 'hard' multi-vitamins) They are not absorbed as much as the manufactorers would like us to believe. I don't know if this is true or not but I take chewable calcium only and a magnesium supplement at the same time.(Any time I can take a chewable form of a vitamin, I do. Including my multi-vitamin and a Vitamin C.) I never heard that you shouldn't take both of those together but I have not read up on it either.

3. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

You might want to check the thread on the topic in Nutrition... there the issues is really thoroughly discussed. The bottom line is to take both, together, with Vit D if possible with about 2 x calcium as mag. High qulaity manufacturers of Cal/Mag pills, like Pioneer, market their product that way.

4. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Stay away from Dolomite. While this supp is often touted as having a naturally balanced ratio of Cal/Mag, numerous studies and reports have shown it to be toxic in many cases. I think it is also known as Bonemeal.

Get your self a mortar and pestle. If you can't find one a spoon and a small hard dish will do. Takes about 2 minutes to grind a cal/mag tablet into dust. Then add it to a liquid.

Part of the problem with degenerating bones in women is not all Calcium's fault.

It has a lot to do with Estrogen hormones declining with age.

But Estrogen replacement therapy can present as many problems as it tries to fix.

I think time is the factor for older women. Don't expect results overnight from lifting. Take it slow and gradual. Your body needs lots of time to adapt.

I would make sure I was getting at least 600 units of Vitamin D a day, especially in the northern hemisphere where the angle of the sun's rays are simply not strong enough for most of the year to produce that Vitamin on the skin.

Although I'm male, I take on average 4 tablets of Jamieson Cal/Mag which gives me 1332mg of Calcium and 668mg of Magnesium.

For other vitamins the Carbonate/Citrate version is better absorbed than the Gluconate version.

Jamieson's is a microbound formula of carbonate,citrate,fumarate,malate,succinate and glutamate.

Best taken with meals.

Not that I'm shilling Jamieson's.......but it seems to work for me.

On the other hand I use low-fat evap milk in every single cup of coffee I drink ( quite a bit through the whole day). And I use 2% milk in my whey shakes and on my oats in the morning.

So Calcium from those sources as well.

I've never read anywhere that you should seperate Cal from Mag.

Always the oppsite in fact.

5. brie

brie Active Member

I just wanted to add that Vitamin D is fat soluble, so keep in mind that you should take it when you're eating fats or it won't be well absorbed.

I take supplements for a variety of things, calcium being one of the main ones. I'm not old enough to be at risk for osteoporosis yet but my absorption of some things is hindered by my treatment for acid reflux. Getting high quality tablets and taking them with meals has been working for me.

6. alleyes7

alleyes7 Active Member

I have been taking Calcium/Magnesium pills for the past year or so, and it is my understanding that it is actually better to take them together (rather than separately). Magnesium helps Calcium absorb into the body. If you don't have enough magnesium in your diet, than calcium is not as easily absorbed into the blood and bones.

Personally, I take them because they (the magnesium part) have really helped me stop getting so many charlie horses (that killer muscle spasm pain when your muscle gets stuck in the contracted position.. :S ).

7. kateykate

kateykate Well-Known Member

Weird.
    So a few of my mates are clinical pharmicists, and a little while back I dragged one of them in to a pharmacy with me when we were out having lunch in order to help me choose a Calcium supplement.
    Incidentally, my Ca levels are fine as my dietary intake is adequate (I drink a lot of milk), but bone deposition begins to occur at age 25-30 and so I feel a Ca supplement isn't a bad idea.

He recommended a supplement that contained Vitamin D and Magnesium in addition to the Calcium. I think the bottle's recommended dosage is several tablets a day, but that's for women over 50, and, well, I'm 29 and have a healthy diet already, so I take 1. I can't remember what my mate's advice was regarding dosage.
    Also, he never mentioned the chewable thing? I assume he'd know, but, yeah, never said, "oh, get this chewable one, you'll absorb it better than a hard pill"... so I don't know about that? But, meh, if, all else was equal, I'd opt for the chewables. Just cos I like the taste. ;)

8. kateykate

kateykate Well-Known Member

Right, so I asked the pharmacist, and he said taking calcium tablets with food would help them be absorbed better, because calcium carbonate doesn't dissolve well, so taking it with food allows it to sit longer in the stomach. I think that then it would be the opposite with Vitamin D? If they're fat soluble?
    Not sure on the Mg and Ca.