1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody Into "The Waterfall Diet"?.....

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by HevyMetal, Jan 7, 2012.

1. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Noticed my weight was fluctuating a couple of pounds here and there with no apparent cause.

One day I'm 196lb when I go to bed and I wake up and I'm 200lbs.

So started doing a little scouting on Dr.Google......there are numerous causes why we do or do not retain water weight. But the water weight can come and go at a moment's notice.

Salt intake,age,lack of protein,base insulin level, insufficient minerals,sudden dramatic low calorie dieting,food allergies,de-ydration,hormonal imbalances....the list goes on as to why we will or will not retain water..

In the course of my meanderings I stumbled into the The Waterfall Diet
    by Linda Lazarides (nutritional therapist).
    This diet is designed to target your food allergies and also make you lose water that you might have harbored for years edemically.

Just wondering if anybody is on this diet...and what are your comments and results from it?

2. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I get scared of any program that ends with the word "Diet", but out of curiousity, I looked into it a bit.

In the comments posted on this page http://www.water-retention.net/waterfall-diet-downloads/ I found this.
    To be fair, that is not the entire quote, but for $12.00, I'd expect something less trite. This is spoken from a female at has been battling female plumbing issues for years and has yet to figure out how to get a handle on the 5-7 pounds of water bloat that I gain twice a month. The best solution to atleast keep it somewhat under control sans reducing salt intake, drink more water. The extra water doesn't keep me from looking like Mr.Staypuft from GhostBusters, but the bloat doesn't hang around nearly as long.

If I were you HM, I'd save my cash and really look at my diet to see if there is any hidden salt that you may be taking in.

3. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

You're heavier after a nights sleep? You sure you're not sleep eating?

It can't be water retention. I guess if you're sleep drinking maybe. That's 2 litres of water. Where would it come from while you sleep?

If you're in an average North American house this time of year with forced air heating I'd expect you to be drying out from the overly dry air.

4. HevyMetal

Zilla:-Salt/Sodium... I eat clean as a whistle these days. That said, when I go on Fitday or Sparkpeople and log my foods I am always absolutely amazed at my Sodium percentage for the day.

I don't eat processed meats (except we had some sausage at Christmas) and I never use the salt shaker.
    I am always reading the labels on packages of food.
    I have upped my daily intake of water considerably since the end of December.
    I drink a fair amount of water as well as other liquids but I'm not "nutball" about it. I figure I hit my eight glasses from all sources pretty easy and I also drink extra water as well.

But I don't think I've ever had a FitDay session where my Sodium intake
    was within the RDA. It's always over....

I like to think I monitor my Sodium intake with vigilance.......but it seems the damn stuff is in everything....even natural foods.

I realize we do need SOME Sodium though.....but it's really hard to monitor the stuff.

Robert:---

I don't think I'm sleep eating.....I'm not hungry when I go to bed.

I often have something before I go to bed....but the total caloric intake
    for these items would be,say,150 calories.

To gain one pound of bodyfat I would need to ingest between 3200 and 3500 calories above and beyond normal daily requirements.

4 x 3500 cals= 14,000 cals

My before-bed snack didn't even come close......so it has to be something else. I'm probably right now hitting about 2500 cals a day, give or take.

To be honest I have absolutely no idea.

I drink lots of water, I lift weights, I cardio, I get good sleep, I'm not over-eating at all, I'm eating clean, I eat no junk food or crap.

On December 16th , last year I weighed 196lbs..

Today I weigh 200lbs.

Maybe I should post a pic of myself currently and see what you people think........

5. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

Can you post a few days of what you've been eating?

I'm not suggesting that you're eating crap. I just don't see the point of spending 12 bucks on some program that says it doesn't use salt, that's all. You already know that too much sodium is a problem. Why pay somebody to tell you that? If you really want to spend the money, go for it, but if I were you, I'd try the "extra set of eyeballs" method first. It could be something simple that you may not have noticed or unintentionally overlooked.

As a example:

The organic salsa that I enjoy so much has 130 mgs of sodium per serving which is 2 tablespoons. That's alot of salt for 2 tablespoons of chunky tomoates and such.

6. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

But you can make the scale move with no calories. 1 litre of water is 1kg of weight. Drink a bottle of water and the scale goes up.

It makes no sense to me that you're heavier in the morning. It's like those movies when they fiddle with your clothes and scale. :p

I forget how much moisture your breath puts out but just that should mean you're a little lighter in the morning. Heavier confusing.

7. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Water retention has many causes other than sodium intake. Digging a little deeper, table salt is a much different animal than the sodium found naturally in foods. Sodium is an essential mineral necessary bodily functions AND gains in lean muscle mass. Yes, you might hold a little more water, but remember that muscle is almost 74% water. Therefore, a wet cell is an anabolic cell. This also equates to a better fat burning environment.

Without knowing anything about anything (concerning your health, meds, macro intake, calories) if you don't have high blood pressure, I wouldn't put much emphasis on water weight from sodium. In all likelihood it's something else entirely. Especially if you are waking up 4 pounds or so heavier.

To go out on a stretch.... when natural bodybuilders and figure competitors want to shed excess water weight and fat, and I'm talking about reducing from single digit to single digit, a very difficult and nerve wracking process.... what do we do???? We drink more water, drop fibrous veggies, increase protein. And drink more water. :)

BTW I wouldn't spend a dime on this waterfall diet. Maybe a nickel, but even that seems a bit too far fetching.

#7 mastover, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  8. HevyMetal

Thanks everyone for the responses....:tucool:

I'm not going to drop 12 clams for the W.F. diet.....but I was interested in the whole physio-science behind this water retention thing.

I don't want to play around with all the factors TOO much.....or I might open up another can of crawlers.....:eek:

I think my scales are o.k.......but you never know.

Maybe I need better scales......:read:

Also an even better diet...and......more water.....:love:

9. redsquareblack

More than that, though, in my experience, unless you're weighing yourself A) at the exact same spot, B) at the same time, C) under the same conditions, with a high-quality scale that is absolutely level, AND you've got someone coming in on a yearly basis to validate your bathroom scale, it's bound to be relatively imprecise and inaccurate (some scales more than others). In my opinion (which, at the end of the day, is just that), the only thing a scale is a good for is demonstrating a trend over time.