1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody do this Bench program?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by GRCRYSTYK, May 7, 2007.

1. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Good luck man :tucool:

2. GRCRYSTYK

GRCRYSTYK Well-Known Member

Ok,..It was progress day,...

I have to tell you a little story, but I will keep it short,..It's not an excuse, but I think I fared OK even in light of my previous evening.

My oldest woke us up in the middle of the night, with horrible stomach pains. I went the all night store, and got some Magnesium Citrate, which is suppose to clean you out, top to bottom, for times when your going in for lower GI exams and such. The kid hadn't had a BM for 4 days!

My wife was convinced it was apendacidis, or how ever it's spelled,..:),..I knew he was just plugged up. Well really long story short,..We were at the hospital for the rest of the night, only got about an hour of sleep, and of course, after all the X-rays and everything else they did to him, he was deemed plugged up.

So I was determined to stay of schedule for this program, and went to the gym as usual, to do the progress day routine,..The Bench portion wasn't to bad. All I did different than any other day to lend a helping hand, was have an apple prior to lifting. I ended up surpassing the required rep range, in order to be considered, "On Track", so I was pretty pleased.

The next few workouts are going to be more difficult. The weights are going up quite a bit for the working sets, but the rep ranges are still low, so I still feel like I'm not doing enough. I may change my mind after the next chest day, but it sure looks like it;s not enough. I'm sticking to the plan however,...

This whole bench program has me wondering if I need to incorporate some of the same principles into some of my other lifts,...Time will tell, but this whole program really puzzles me, with the strange rep ranges. Hey,.If it works, I'm all for it,..:)

>>>--->

3. DieselB

DieselB Active Member

So last Sunday I really worked on my tri's. I started out with the usual flat bench press and then moved on to incline and to decline. I didnt want to work my tri's again right after 3 successive pressing movements so I did standing dumbell curls next. Then like Joe said I tried the close grip decline to work on my tris. Took some time figuring out where I'd be weight wise but settled on 185. Did a set of 6 and bumped the weight to 195. Did another set of 5. Was struggling on the last rep so I left the weight at 195 for my third set and did 4 reps. 3 good ones and the last one I really had to push to get to 4. I did EZ bar curls after that and then did dips. This was the only day I worked out last week due to my son being sick and I started a new job along with working on a background packet for the highway patrol. I bumped up my eating last week also since I've been up earlier. We'll see how all of this affects my weight.

4. GRCRYSTYK

Second Progress workout today

Did the second Progress workout today. I worked out at home, so the setting was a little different. Also, I have been digging out for an addition to my driveway, the last could days too, ...By hand!,..So I'm pretty beat to begin with,..

Gave it my best shot, and according to the charts included with the routine, I'm on track,....There are quite few more lifting days ahead, so it should be interesting how ti turns out in the end,...

>>>--->

5. GRCRYSTYK

One week to go on this program,...

This weeks workouts were a mixed bag,...The first chest day of the week, was a bit disapointing,...For the first time int he whole routine, I missed the reps I was suppose to get on two sets. It was a high rep day,..High meaning a set of 6 reps, a couple sets of 5 reps, and a single test set, to check progress. I missed the sets of 5 by 1 rep on each set. I could only muster 4 reps with the weight I was scheduled to use via the program.

I have been doing a lot more heavy work, other than my weightlifting lately, and I'm sure it's had an effect on the whole process,...Not to mention the travel I do , has screwed up my lifting schedule again,...

The second chest day was better,...Low rep day, but with much more weight,...I hit all reps, and actually pushed a new high bench weight, that was part of the routine for the day, so I was pretty stoked about that.

This coming week, is the last week of the program, and travel is going to have me messed up again. It looks like it has worked for sure,...Not 40/45 lbs as stated in the article, but I'm going to make an educated guess and say, when it's all said and done, I will have added 25+ lbs to my bench. Time will tell,...The program has you testing your new 1RM at the end of the last workout,...I'm a bit confused by that,..Not being a veteran lifter, wouldn't that seem like a bad idea? Doing a 1RM attempt, after working a number of sets?

It is on a low rep day however,....so there shouldn't be too much breakdown, prior to the attempt,..Just curious though,..Would a separate day, after the program, dedicated to making a 1RM lift, be better, or not?

>>>--->

6. JoeSchmo

I would definately consider that a success. A 25 pound increase in a few weeks is nothing to sneeze at. Nice going. :tucool:

Yeah, that does seem a little odd -- although, it depends on what the "workout" is for that day. Is it mostly warmup sets working to a 1RM attempt? If not, then it does seem like a strange time to test your max.

Maybe give it a shot the following week. Do some warmup sets and then work your way up to the max attempt. That is the way I've always done it.

7. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

Regarding the use of Flyes.....the general consensus is to go lighter with more reps for Db Flyes on the belief that if you go heavy for Flyes you'll wreck your shoulders.

In a recent article in a well known magazine, Arnold The Great addresses this issue.

He states that there is absolutely no reason why you can't go heavy on Flyes. Himself using DB's in the 85-90lb. range per hand at times.
    In fact,he says, you have to go heavy on Flyes to get mass.

So don't discard the Flye. Simply use a weight that's going to produce.

Regarding benching....here's another tip from him if you're looking to get bigger Pecs from your bench (which in turn would help your Bench max).

Unrack the bar and lower it as normal. But instead of raising the bar to full extension, only raise it half that distance. Lower and repeat.

This is because as you near the top of the movement the triceps take over to a large extent and the pecs are less involved.

By going halfway up, then down while repping, you keep more effort on the Pecs continuously.

The way I improve my bench is to gradually phase through a strength cycle and then induce reps of 8 at a certain point.

Say I wanted to hit 300. Imight do sets of 5 and 3 at lower weights and a one rep max of 300. This cycle would last about 6 to 8 weeks and then I'd back off the strength program for a break by going for growth reps.

The idea being to hit a certain weight strength-wise through low reps and once there expand it by doing more reps of that max weight that you have achieved.

Once I could do 2 sets of 8 at that weight I'd move up again through single and low reps.

However you're always going to have a one-rep max that can't be repped out eventually.

So lets say this week I do:-

5x250
    5x270
    5x290
    2x300

Next week I might want:-

5x260
    5x280
    3x300
    2x310

Next:-

8x280
    8x290
    8x300
    5x310

etc.etc.

Feet flat on floor. Knees at 90 degrees. Tension on whole body. Tensing the whole body transfers your body power into the press.Also make a conscious effort to tense your Lats before the press starts.

No hiking butt off the bench. The only reason people do this is to get shorter bar travel and to turn the movement into a psuedo decline press where they are ergonomically a tad stronger. But it's bad form.

8. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Joe how heavy are you, that's a big bench, buddy.

9. JoeSchmo

Thanks man. I was probably at my strongest at 260 pounds. I was getting too fat though, and so I recently cut down to 240. I lost a little strength, but not too much.

10. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Dang man, thats a big coefficient, 1.85. Mine is only 1.78 :mad:. I'll catch you yet!

11. DieselB

DieselB Active Member

I just hita new decline max at 2 reps of 245. I'm maxing at about 205 for flat bench. Unfortunately without a spotter I dont want to push it too much in fear of leaving the bar on my chest. Maybe a smith machine workout would be in order? What would the difference be in lifting 205 on a smith machine and 205 with free weight bench press? I've noticed in the past smith machine is much easier in terms of weight

12. JoeSchmo

Well -- I wasn't doing the weight you are putting up when I was at your bodyweight, so you are definately doing very well. Who knows, maybe before long, you'll hit the elusive 2X BW. That would be very nice. :nod:

Nice going on your decline press! I would avoid the Smith machine if I were you. If you can't get anybody to spot you, I would just bench in a rack. I've been doing that lately because my gym is dead in the summer, and I can't get a decent spot.

13. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

:tu::tu::tu:

14. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

Joe, sounds like you are one big guy. 400+bench @ 240:tu:

15. DieselB

DieselB Active Member

Whats your method for benching with the rack? Just put pegs toward where you bottom out so if you can't get the bar up you can get it up on the pegs? I've never used the rack for anything before...

16. JoeSchmo

Heh...If you saw me on the street, you'd think I looked like a 240lb guy who lifted weights, but nothing special. :cool:

No, I put the pegs in a normal spot, but I put the safety bars at about chest level (you'll have to experiment with it a bit to see where that is for you). Therefore, if I can't get the bar up, I just set it down on the safety bars and climb out from underneath the bar. In fact, that happened to me just last week. :)

I hope that makes sense.

17. GRCRYSTYK

Ok,..Today was the end of the program,...

Unfortunately, the last couple days have been hell for me,...Had to travel yesterday,..Got up at 4:00AM,..Traveled and worked all day,..Get home, get all settled in, just get to sleep, and the phone rang. The inlaw has a backed up sewer main in her house,...I was all crunched up, in a crawl space, trying to use a manual drain snake, over my head, through a pipe that wasn't designed to be a clean out, until almost 2:00 AM today.

If that wasn't bad enough, what had come up at work, while on the road yesterday, put me working with my hands over my head most of the day again, burning out my shoulders like nobodies business.

I know, all this sounds like a bunch of excuses as a lead into a disappointing finish,....Well,..I must say, I am disappointed. Not with the program, but with the odd events that came up the last couple days,..I have been 7 weeks preparing for this "day", and bang!,...strange things happen, that directly effect my performance int he gym. I am for sure bummed.

I'm not saying helping my inlaw, is less important than a new 1RM on bench press, and work, well, is work,..but I had really been looking forward to giving this my all, in hopes of being happy with the results. In recent preparation for today, I had been eating a bit more, and "trying" to get extra rest,...

So anyway,..I went for it even knowing, I wasn't going to be at my best,....The last workout is geared towards the 1RM lift,...After a couple three warm up sets, the workout calls for a heavy set of 3 reps, and heavier set of 2 reps, and then a single, with what would be the 1RM test,...All these weights are provided from the charts in the program,...

My oldest was to give me a hand as a spotter and would be getting home shortly after I began lifting. I approached the workout as I would any other day. Tried to put out of my mind what had happened the last couple days, and,... how I felt,..:) I Put on my Layne Norton attitude, and got busy,...Warm ups felt pretty good. Not over the top, like when you "Know" you going to have a great workout, but not bad at all,...I got through my first working set of 3 before my son arrived. He had never spotted me for anything before, so I had to take a minute to explain exactly what I wanted from him,....kind of broke the flow a bit,...He started to spot me on the second set, and I explained, I didn't need him on this one,...Cranked out the double no sweat,....Loaded up the final plates,...Paced around like Layne for a while,....Got under the bar, and pushed out a single rep, of more weight than I had ever pushed on Bench Press before. My son didn't touch the bar, as instructed.

I told my son, "Add 5lbs a side" I'm going straight for my target weight. I think I can do it, if I do it now, and not waste energy on a lift in between. That would put me at my goal, and I will be one happy cat.

Of course I had to pace around for a while, like a crazy man again. I wasn't feeling the "Edge", but I was going for it anyway,...My head was pretty much in the right place.

Under the bar,...Hands,..Feet,..Breath,...Unrack,...and I felt my son hit the bar. No matter, it wasn't part of the main lift. Didn't give it a thought,...Down to the chest,..exploding up,..the bar began to slow a little, and I felt the slightest bump on the bar again. It didn't really do anything, but I did feel it. I said "No", and began to break through the sticky spot. As I got almost to the top of the lift, just before racking the bar, my son was on it again. At that point the lift was over, so it didn't make any difference, but I was really disappointed, that when I hit the sticky spot, my son hit the bar. I can't help but think it made a difference in the lift. I didn't feel any of the weight being taken from me, but it really makes me feel like I need to do this again,...Thoughts?

I made a second attempt at the same weight, and couldn't get past the hang spot with it,...It was clear at that point, I was done,..

I'm over due for a deload week, and over due to cut,..I was planning to cut again, starting Sunday. I may just have to put that off a week, and go for the 1RM again next Thursday. Just to make sure,...:) Last minute edit,..I might mention, if you are wondering, why I didn't just wait a day or two to do the last workout in the program,...The reasons stated above, as well as, I'm back on the road again tomorrow AM, and won't be back until Sunday, so I was really wanting to finish things up, and start a new, come next week. Nothing that "Can't" wait, but it would have worked out nice that way,...

So all in all,..I think the program worked, for me, very well. If next week, I can push the same weight I did today,"without anybody touching the bar", I will have added 30lbs to my Bench 1RM,....230lbs, to 260lbs. Bench has always been a weak spot for me,...On my next gaining phase, I'm planning to go with more of a body building, mass building protocol,..with emphasis on my chest, Lats, Triceps, and Legs. Maybe during the winter, I will do another power type routine. This one sure worked for me,....

>>>--->

#37 GRCRYSTYK, Jun 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  18. DieselB

DieselB Active Member

Well I tried out the rack. A little strange because the bars come into play right where my chest ends. So if the bar somes to my chest it hits the bars on the rack. If I were to leave the weight bar on the rack then it would be sitting on my chest somewhat and tough to get out from under it.