1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

any weight loss suggestions??

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by CORROM, Apr 10, 2004.

1. CORROM

CORROM Well-Known Member

Hey...It's my first day signing up for this site. I kind of just happened to find it, and I am trying to lose weight so I figured if this is a site about fitness, then why not join it? Anyways,...

Ok, well I'm young, and I want to lose weight. I know how people say that its easier for us younger people to lose weight, but it still is quite difficult! I don't have a big problem, I have a pretty average body, yet no one seems to know how much I really weigh, (which I'm definitely not complaining about heh). Yeah, so I've been doing quite a few things to try to take the extra pounds off, but they seem to work and then I either gain the weight back, or I lose a lot at first, and then I stop losing and stay at the weight which I had lost.

For instance, I was on the South Beach diet like maybe 4 weeks ago, and I had lost 11 lbs in the first two weeks which I thought was pretty good. I was satisfied. My clothes and stuff were starting to get looser, and they still are. However, after those two weeks, I pretty much stopped losing weight, I think maybe I have lost another 3 lbs? Yeah, and I do work out a lot. I guess maybe I'm just not doing the right things to lose what I need to. The problem is all the weight is in my stomach. I mean I have really great legs! I have no problems with my face, I mean i don't have any like double chins or anything. My arms are pretty good, and so is my behind and chest. My problem is really my stomach.

HOW CAN I LOSE THE WEIGHT THERE?! :confused:

Please, if anyone can give me some suggestions, I'd appreciate it! :nod:

Well, thank you!

2. JennyLynn

JennyLynn Well-Known Member

Welcome! I'm in about the same situation as you. I have a pretty average body, but I carry a lot of extra weight in my stomach. Too bad we can't spot reduce. :d_frown:

You've come to a great place to find information on how to lose weight. Take some time and read through some of the posts already out there. There is a search function at the top of the screen that is very helpful. You should be able to get a general idea of the weight loss process by doing that. After you've looked around a bit, if you have more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

If it seems overwhelming, take it in three phases:
    1. Diet
    2. Cardio
    3. Weights

3. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

How long did you stay on? If you mean you were on for 4 weeks total, then a 3lbs. loss over two weeks would be quite healthy. Weightloss is a slow process. :tucool:

Ultimately, weight loss is about calorie deficits. A study I read on the BBC a few months ago concluded that weight loss on different diets (South Beach, Atkins, BFL, calorie controlled, etc.) all induced weight loss because, whatever the macronutrient breakdown of food consumed, the dieters lowered their calorie intake. I would suggest you deterime your lean body mass and your daily caloric needs (basal metabolic rate), and start tracking what you eat on a daily basis. This will tell you unequivocally whether or not are overeating. Try something like Fitday. One you understand your caloric needs, aim for a daily intake of 500 calories below your basal metabolic rate. I think you'll find this site gives a very easy-to-undertand introduction to these concepts. Our own Jeremy Likeness has some very user-friendly tips on this topic here.

Are you exercising? That is absolutely key to both initial and sustained weight loss, as well as (and more importantly) your health. Check out this site for a great beginner's introduction to weight training.

Oh, and there's no such thing as spot-reducing. Sorry. :(

:gl:

4. Trinity

Trinity Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with this statement. 500 below your BMR is too low. Your BMR is just the energy you would spend if you did nothing all day. But you burn calories from moving, breathing, even eating. She needs to figure out how many TOTAL calories she spends in a day, including from eating (about 10% of calories eaten is spent digesting), exercising and activities. Then subtract 500 to get how much she should eat.

3 lbs in two weeks is pretty aggressive in my opinion. 1lb a week is ideal if you really plan to keep the weight off. :)

Lots of good info on this site. Keep in mind that 80% of the battle is your diet.

Good luck :claphigh:

5. Chopaholic

Very right. I was erroneous is equating daily caloric output with BMR. Here's a quick explanation from Hussman:

Your BMR is the number of calories you'll typically burn lying in bed all day. If you work out solidly with weights for about 45 minutes, or do aerobics for about 20-40 minutes (no more than 20 using high intensity intervals), you'll probably burn about 1.5 times your BMR that day. If you don't work out, but have a normal level of activity, you'll probably burn about 1.3 times BMR. If you've got a sedentary job where you're at a desk, or you're worried about a "slow metabolism", estimate 1.4 times BMR for workout days, and 1.2 times BMR on non-workout days. When scientists talk about "slow metabolism", they're hardly ever talking about shortfalls more than that.

Every day, take the number of calories you take in, and subtract the number of calories you burn. If you're trying to lose weight, you want this to be a negative number - a "caloric deficit." For instance, if you eat 1500 calories and you burn 2000, you've created a 500 calorie deficit that day.

Your main goal for fat loss is to accumulate a significant caloric deficit over the entire week. If you're aggressively targeting fat loss, try to keep your caloric intake close to or slightly below your BMR (but not more than about 10% below, or you'll tend to tire out easily). If you take a "free day", try to keep your intake below about 1.6-1.8 times BMR. If you do this, you'll accumulate a good, solid caloric deficit for the entire week.

In order to lose 1 pound of fat, you've got to burn 3500 calories more than you take in. This is true whether you have major fat loss goals (which was my challenge a couple of years ago), or whether your goal is maintenance and "cutting."

I don't think 3 lbs in two weeks is too agressive. That's only 1.5 a week, which is within the 1-2 lbs. a week range. Some weeks you may lose more, some weeks nothing at all. Scale weight in fallible. Actually, while we're talking about it, I would reccomend keeping track of some basic measurements (waist, thighs, biceps in inches or centimeters and lean body mass in pounds). These can be very reassuring during those times the scale won't budge.

I totally agree with Trinity: diet is (almost) everything.

:gl:

6. Chopaholic

Addendum

This is a very helpful thread, too!

:tu: