1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Any suggestions for Vegan food

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by tbksandeep, Nov 29, 2011.

1. tbksandeep

tbksandeep Member

Hello All,

Wow this is a wonderful forum for enthusiasts. I am a pure Vegan. NO EGG,NO MEAT,NO FISH. I take dairy products so i am ok with Whey. Any suggestion as what kind of food can I have to develop leaner muscles. I weigh 230 and I am 5'11". Any vegans here as members? I eat rice but I can also eat wheat

2. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

How do you get your protein now?

Rice and beans is a common mix. Various kinds of of protein can be had from vegetables. If you're okay with diary it gets easier. Cheese and yogurt in various forms.

But to get lean you need to eat less then you burn.

3. tbksandeep

tbksandeep Member

reply for robert

Hello Robert,

I eat lentils, curd(yogurt),whey. I eat green beans,pintos,all nuts. I guess that's pretty much I eat. I eat deep fried food but now i have cut short a lot and to be more honest I do not eat so much protein and when i met a person and asked him he said that I have to eat chicken. Since I cannot eat any meat it I thought to open a topic since there could be some one who is a vegan and still is able to develop muscles. I started a serious workout since a week.

4. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

You don't have to eat chicken. Sheesh.. :lol:

You do need a good amount of protein. A lot of sources say 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight(give or take 0.25g). You have a lot of good protein sources in your menu, too.

Dairy, nuts and legumes will most likely end up being your primary protein sources. I would make sure to get around 230 grams of protein each day and if you plan your food choice between those three categories, you should be able to find a good balance of fat and carbs that suits your tastes.

Nuts tend to be more fatty as a protein source, while legumes are going to be geared more towards carbs in addition to the protein. Dairy will depend on whether you get fat free, 1%, 2% or whole milk. Milk does generally have a good amount of carbs, too. The choice of fat content for dairy will depend on how your nut and legume consumption is distributed and what you want your macro ratios to look like.

Adding in whey shakes will help with protein consumption since you won't be eating the more dense protein sources like beef, chicken and pork. My opinion is that protein powders are to be used sparingly only when the protein amounts needed cannot be taken in from whole foods. That ideal is a matter of personal preference, though. Many people do quite well using protein powders and shakes.

Good luck! :claphigh:

5. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Only thing I'd add mix things up during the course of the day. Lentils/beans and rice combine to give you a more or less complete protein. Supposedly so does bread and milk. So try and have a bit of everything not just a lot of one thing.

6. ianmez

ianmez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not a vegan, but I'm vegetarian.

I eat eggs and I understand that you don't. Most of my protein, however, comes from whey powder. I eat a ton of this.

One of the challenges for vegans and vegetarians is that any source of protein is frequently going to come paired with a substantial number of carbs, too (beans, lentils being very clear examples).

For that reason, I don't include many of those in my diet.

If you eat dairy aside from eggs, I would recommend Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt (especially Chobani or Fage) and non-fat cottage cheese. Cottage cheese, though, is high in sodium.

I also eat natural peanut butter and almond butter, and sometimes almond. I occasionally, but rarely, have soy.

In short, get the bulk of your protein from whey and greek yogurt. Be careful about using rice and beans, lentils, nuts, soy, and other products as you'll run up your calorie count quickly while you use them--but by all means eat them, too.

Because you're going to get so many carbs while you take in your protein, you'll probably also want to think about limiting your intake of refined sugar, flours, and other similar simple carbs.

7. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Good points above...

If you take in whey, can you not eat eggs? Check your protein powder. It may be a blend containing egg white...

Rice protein is another very good alternative to get in your daily requirements.

For the vegan, fermented soy products are the best choice but they should never be considered nutritionally complete when stacked up against their counterpart. Fermented soy products such as tempeh, miso, natto, etc., should be combined with rice, seafood (yes, I know you do not consume seafood), and veggies. However, these proteins cannot be relied upon as a source of vitamin B12. And if you delve further, soy products actually increase the requirement for vitamins B12 and D. Vitamin D is a powerful precursor for testosterone production.

With clients, I have seen a pattern of vitamin D and testosterone deficiency via blood test reports.

On a personal level, I was vegetarian after I got sober back in 1984. For 4 years I felt "wrong" LOL, that's about as accurate as I can describe it. I lacked energy, strength, and it even effected me mentally. No confidence, no aggression, and when I went to the gym, something was definitely amiss. Within one year after I began eating meat again, I became a natural bodybuilding champion. Lower body fat, yet higher body weight. Win-win.

This is exactly what I notice with clients and others who transcend into a meat eating diet.

I am not attempting to sway you towards a different way of eating, but just giving you the skinny on what to expect. I have many vegan clients and friends (non-clients) and respect their, and your, commitment to a specific cerebral and physical way of life...

Vegan clients also require a training protocol totally separate from the meat eaters.

Another interesting tidbit is that vegans have higher body fat levels than meat eaters.

Good luck and enjoy your stay here! :tucool:

8. baldridges

baldridges Well-Known Member

I am a pesce/vegetarian. I eat some fish, but little/no dairy. Unless you are eating a ton of processed foods, the simple fact is that you don't need as much protein as those eating processed foods and animal proteins. For instance, if you eat a steak that contains about 60 grams of protein, your body will use about 50-53 grams of that protein just to digest that steak, leaving your body only 10 grams of protein for other body functions. If you eat a natural, high net gain plant based protein (hemp, legumes, spinach, etc), your body can use almost 100% of that for body functions/muscle recovery. If you are on a plan based diet (limiting whey and eggs) then your ratios don't need to be anywhere near 40/40/20. If you stick with natural, whole, plant foods, your body can build muscle and recover with around 15-20% protein.
    I eat no meat outside of the occasional fish and I have never had so much energy in my life. I am working out better and have more energy than I ever did on a more traditional 40/40/20 diet with animal proteins. I chose to do it due to health reasons and I have never been happier. Unless you are looking to be linebacker sized, I think you can experience no significant muscle loss and get quite lean on a plant-based diet. I certainly think if you are looking to be on the competition level of Mastover, or to do a serious bulk, I would have to evaluate things, but cutting and performance wise I have been very happy.
    A great resource is a book by Brendan Brazier (professional athlete) called Thrive: A Vegan's Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life. It is filled with the science behind veganism and sports, and a lot of great recipes.

Good luck!

#8 baldridges, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  9. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

This has got to be one of the most hilarious posts I've read here in recent memory, far exceeding what I've been reading downstairs in the Wasteland. LOL.

#9 mastover, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  10. baldridges

baldridges Well-Known Member

I'm glad I could entertain you.

#10 baldridges, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  11. redsquareblack

Minor quibble, but if you take dairy products, you're not "pure Vegan". You're a vegetarian. ;)

That aside, what sort of vitamins/supplements are you taking?

12. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This website might be able to help you: http://veganbodybuilding.com

Jaer
    flipped through it briefly. Some interesting articles, but overall, not the best put together site, organizationally.

13. sudy

sudy Active Member

14. ErikTheRed

ErikTheRed Well-Known Member

Gardein protein (available at many grocery stores in the frozen section), seitan and vega protein powder

15. elliott

elliott Well-Known Member

16. fierce_pierce33

I'd recommend Quinoa. Tastes like cardboard, but it's high in protein and super healthy. If you season it right, It can be delicious. Easy to make too, I think its only 15 minutes to prepare whereas rice can take longer. :tu: