1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Any of you ever get "burned out"?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by inurb, Jul 6, 2005.

1. inurb

inurb Well-Known Member

I've been going to the gym 5 days a week to lift weights and 6 days a week to perform early morning cardio. And the only time I ever get burned out is when I'm on my low carb low cal regimen. Like I get home from work and sometimes I just want to sleep for like an hour. But on the flip side when I'm either on a bulk or maintenance regimen I feel real good and I am ready to do whatever. I'm sure it relates to how many carbs are in my body. What kind of pre workout nutrition do you guys take before hitting the weights? I am really tired of feeling lethargic at the gym. Yet I don't want to screw up my cutting cycle because of too many carbs. I get my dex and whey after lifting but is there anything I can take to give me the extra "oomph" to finish my lifting session before I go to lift?

I just wanted to hear if any of you ever get burned out or get a brain fry when you are on a cutting cycle.

2. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Most people on this forum will tell you to reduce Cardio. That's a pretty hard regiment. I do 1 to 2 cardio and 3 to 4 weight training per week.

3. curvature

curvature Well-Known Member

I'm interested in hearing these replies. I do 3 days of weight training and 6 of cardio, and by the end of the week, I am very tired. I'm pretty sure I've heard before that you just need more rest when you're cutting to let your body catch up. Wish there were a few more hours in the day...

4. Sean_Vienna

Sean_Vienna Well-Known Member

In my opinion, you are probably overdoing it as far as the long term is concerned. Depends on the individual and what your routines are like, but most will get great results with 3 - 4 days a week of weightlifting with a solid routine. Rest is vital. As far as cardio is concerned; never do more then you have to in order to get positive results; if you can get good results with 2 or 3 days a week, then why do more? When you reach a plateau you can always add more if fat-loss is your goal.

If you have time, ideally you should eat a large ammount of Low G.I carbs along with a good protein source, wait 60-90mins, then lift. If time is a problem then have the same shake before your workout as you would afterwards. As a general guidline your shake should be made up as follows:

A good rule of thumb is to divide your weight in lbs by 10 and then multiply the result by 2.5; this is the amount of carbs you should consume in the shake. Add to it an equal amount of Protein. Take this 15mins before your workout if you don't have time for the "whole-food" option. 1/2 of your Post Workout Shake should be consumed immediately after the workout, and the rest sipped on for the next hour. 1/2 an hour after this, tuck into a healthy whole food meal.
    *This is a general guidline for those cutting and works for me (maybe not everyone) and so people's opinions may vary on the subject. Depending on whether you're the type to retain muscle easily or not, you may get leaner by taking away the dextrose altogether and having another whole-food meal.
    I believe this only really happens primarily when carbs are cut and/or calories are too low, and/or one is not getting enough recovery time. Carbs fuel the brain so a lack thereof can certainly fry it :eek: .

Just a suggestion, but maybe while cutting you could decrease your number of work-out days and/or cardio days and/or slowly bring back in a few carbs :confused:
    :gl:

5. Jaybird

Jaybird Well-Known Member

My philosophy is getting in shape is a lifestyle change. You have to develop a plan you can stick to for the rest of your life. You shouldn't get burned out--you should enjoy what you are doing and incorporate it into your everyday life. If you feel burned out, you are probably training too hard. Back off to a more manageable level.

6. BigDog

BigDog Well-Known Member

Schedule a few days off

Burnout is tough. If you have been dedicated and diligent for a few months, you may need to schedule a few consecutive days off of either cardio or weights.

At some point, your body will tell you that it needs a little bit more of a break than you are giving it. This comes from fatigue or injury. It sounds like you have been really going at it for a while - which is good.

But it's also good to take a few days off once in a while. Not a month, but a week where you aren't taxing yourself isn't a wasted week. It's a recovery week. It's probably the most overlooked part of training - I have made the mistake of going for 17 weeks without giving myself a break from lifting. I hurt my shoulder and neck - not traumatic, but just overuse. I now work in 9 or 10 week stretches, then take a week off of weights, and do pretty light cardio only. No injuries since.

A mental parallel occurs as well. And the solution is to give yourself a really light week.

As dedicated as we can be to our fitness, it helps to remember this is volutary exertion, not a day-to-day survival issue for most of us.

I have always come back from a recovery week stronger and more motivated than before.

7. Sean_Vienna

Sean_Vienna Well-Known Member

Too true :nod:
    Agreed! Sometimes it's easy to lose sight of this and over-do it somewhat.

8. slowpoke

slowpoke Well-Known Member

Take it from me, cutting can throw your whole world out of balance when the actual idea of becoming "fit" is bringing everything into balance. I was working out, doing cardio and tracking my dietary intake to the nanocalorie... it became too much and I had to step out for a few weeks. I still lost fat during that time, but I didn't obsess over the numbers.

Remember, these are supposed to be lifestyle changes. Do you want to do what you are doing the rest of your life? Understand, a few weeks of increase or decrease (for that matter) may be necessary, but the key is to find your balance (not what someone else suggests). Back off for a week or two and assess the situation, then kick back in at a level you enjoy.

Note: this is a quick reply and my $.02. I didn't explain myself fully.

edit: just noticed the above post...good advice that goes with my response...i'll read the whole thread next time...over zealous about being encouraging...

9. KMD

KMD Well-Known Member

I'm feeling burned out alot but not from the gym. I think its the fact I'm working 7 days a week to pay for school and the fact i'm taking night classes and a morning class before work heh. I need a vacation. But ya the thing is the gym is the only place right now I have to relieve(sp?) all my stress.

10. Jaybird

Jaybird Well-Known Member

I'd like to clarify my first post little. Personally, I view burnout different than resting. I think burnout is mainly mental--you are tired of doing what you're doing. You need to find a routine that you can do every day and enjoy it. However, you still need to rest. When my body tells me to rest, I rest for a day or two. Every 10-12 weeks or so, I take a week off from lifting. While I'm resting, I'm still eager to workout again. So from my standpoint, burnout is more mental and resting is more physical.

11. dczoner

dczoner Well-Known Member

My response to this also has to do with my psychological state much more than my physical. Honestly, when I'm doing well in my life, I will fight through any sort of physical burn because I'm willing to.

Just this last weekend I went out for a session of total drunken fun, saw a bunch of friends I haven't seen in a while, etc. . . Basically, I tried to get my head well enough that I can tackle the physical challenges. Even after a weekend of solid drinking (including *gasp* beer) and friendly hilarity, I feel more capable than I did the week before.

Last night I was physically exhausted when I returned home (after having a 13 hour day), and instead of vegging and watching tv or whatnot I took an hour and a half walk (I wasn't ready to resume true training).

I think a burnout just means take some time away, change your state. Perhaps you will return with a whole new energy and focus.

Dave (thinks its hard to get burned out if you keep things new and different)