1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Any ladies considering cosmetic surgery?

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Chim-Chim, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Chim-Chim

Chim-Chim Well-Known Member

I was curious if any of you have considered any type of cosmetic surgery due to your significant body change? I have seen several women (like myself) post that they have lost cup sizes and I wanted to see how all of you felt about it. I am having a hard time with the adjustment, but really don't know if I could fully consider implants. Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I contemplate this for about 5 seconds every week.

I'm pretty sure I'd be happier just keeping with what I've got. I've seen so many fake ones that look really weird that I haven't ever seriously considered it.

I also contemplate a nose job for about 5 seconds every week as well, so it's not really weight related.

3. Chim-Chim

I know how you feel

I would rather live with a small chest and a hard body, than a big chest and a flabby body. I don't feel to bad about it until I try something on at the store and I cannot fill out the chest area. This is when I get temporarily depressed. (usually nothing little ice cream cone can't fix :D ) I have never had a big chest, but now I am concerned that I will have NO chest!! The risk involved keeps me from seriously thinking about it, but I often wonder if anyone feels the same way and just hasn't voiced their frustrations.

4. JennyLynn

JennyLynn Well-Known Member

I'm too much of a wimp to voluntarily have myself cut open. I have also heard guys say that they can tell if a woman has had implants. I'm not sure if that means that they don't like it, or if they just think that they are special for having that skill. :confused: I have also heard guys say that a handful is enough- and I've at least got that. ;) I think I'll just stay the way I am.

5. Teriliel

Teriliel Well-Known Member

I'm really still in the begining stages of weight loss, so my opinion may change as I haven't even lost a cup size YET. My thought is that I might consider a breast lift, not augmentation. Before I got really heavy, (back when I was a teenager) I was a C cup. I have no idea if I will go back to that or smaller.

The thing I worry about is the stretch marks. I have them all over my breasts from rapid weight gain in the past. They definitely don't add any pleasant look to my breasts. :(

6. dimbulb

dimbulb Well-Known Member

Hey,
    I realize that this forum is for the ladies..... so John, please feel free to delete my post.

Chim-Chim, who are you considering the implants/surgery for? yourself? or so that you conform to what others think is "good"?

I think I can speak for many guys (you'll be surprised) when I say that we like small chests too!! ( I had a REALLY hard time convincing my ex about this.... ). As JennyLynn has mentioned, a handful is more than good enough. Heck, to put it crudely, guys don't care too much about the size. if its a boob, its good enough for me.

I understand your troubles with clothes. With this rapid supersizing of American society, I think its getting practically impossible for petite women to get clothes that fit properly.

7. piel2000

piel2000 Well-Known Member

i would like to have the perfect body of the year but heck i have enough to worry about now. i would probably say i would reject the decision. just one more thing to be worried about. if i were to get them instead of feeling not perfect i would be worried about people guessing if they were fake or not. have you ever been around guys that clown women w/ noticable breast jobs. i just put myself in those women shoes of humiliation and say, "not today." but i would not mind a lift as long as it was not an extra cup. just a little perfection from childrens destruction (breast feeding).

8. JeremyLikness

JeremyLikness Well-Known Member

This is depressing!

I can't believe people are so willing to have invasive procdures - ones that could kill them - to change a superficial, physical aspect. I guess I am just very blessed with having made friends and fallen in love with someone who sees past the surface to ME. This is why a lot of diets fail for people - they think they'll lose x pounds and gain back self-confidence, but instead, they drop the weight, and the self-confidence and self-esteem is still gone. So then they get surgery and transform their bodies, and guess what? Your self-image is not based on your cup size. It is based on the self-conversations and the internal image you have of yourself - so this is not going to be an instant fix.

And heaven forbid you land a date or satisfy your mate or find a lover because of your chest size. No matter how much surgery you have, by the time you are 80, if your relationship is built on something that shallow, does this mean you split up and die alone?

Or maybe you can be yourself, celebrate who you are, the gifts God has given you, and "settle" for someone who sees past the surface and cares for you despite your breast size? What is there to truly gain by changing your physique artificially - attention? Wouldn't it be so much nice to gain attention through the things you do, and the services you provide to others, rather than how big your bust is?

Ultimately its your body and your decision - but there is food for thought!

Jeremy

9. Teriliel

Teriliel Well-Known Member

Getting a lift would be for me. It's only something I have thought about. I will probably never actually do it. If my hubby had his way, I would get breast augmentation if I lose too much breast tissue for him. He's definitely not going to get his way on that.

As to thinking things will be perfect when I lose the weight, I know better. Losing weight isn't going to be the magic pill that makes me happy and secure and all of that. I would like to think that going through the process will make me a better person though. It will be ONE building block to improving my self esteem as it is I who will be responsible for acheiving my goals. This will be something TANGIBLE, something I can look on and say "Wow! I wanted it. I worked for it. And I did it!" Is that thought wrong?

Perhaps I am coming at this from a different angle than some as well. My main reason for losing weight is not cosmetic, it is for health reasons. My cholesterol was tested when I weighed around 220 lbs., which was about 3 years ago. My total cholesterol was 304. My LDL was too high, my HDL was too low, and my triglicerides (sorry for poor spelling) weren't good either. Now, I was only 26 at the time. It was quite a shock that I would have this to worry about at that age.

I did some initial work and lost 30 lbs. Then I stopped. I just had my cholesterol tested in January again. My total cholesterol was 266. While this is still high, it is much better than that 304. I figured that if I could lower it that much by dropping just 30 lbs., I should be able to fix it completely by working for the rest of the weight loss. I would rather work my tail off than be put on potentially damaging cholesterol reducing drugs.

I also have one other concern. My mother is diabetic. She didn't contract it until her early 30's, but she has the juvenile form. Her pancreas doesn't produce any insulin at all. Who knows if she could have avoided it by keeping better control of her health throughout her life, but I'm going to try my best. I don't want to end up having to stick myself with needles for the rest of my life.

Sorry to have gone off on this crazy tangent, but I wanted to explain myself a bit and hopefully let someone know that not every woman trying to lose weight is stricty doing it to look better. My hubby would rather I stay the weight I am, but understands that my health is more important than him having this larger version of me.

10. Chim-Chim

Well Jeremy here's some "food for thought" for you. Hold on tight because this will be lengthy. For one, I was really directing this to the ladies and I wanted to know how the women were coping with the issue of breast loss. If you read my post I stated that I didn't think I could ever fully consider getting augmentation. Saying that, even if I did are you saying that I am shallow and looking for a way to find a realtionship? I assure you, I make a full package and my choice to alter my body would not change how I interact with my boyfriend of four years. I don't deny that many women have that intention to draw attention to their chest. That wasn't my motivation by considering it. Some women have very small breasts, I am one of them. Would you be as quick to have that response if you were lacking in an important region? (I'll let you guess which one I am speaking of) I am surpsrised that you would feel the need to be borderline insultive towards anyone who might consider this procedure and I can assure you that I am not the only one upset by this. Usually you come across very helpful, remind me to steer clear of you in the future.

#10 Chim-Chim, Apr 2, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2004
  11. Destiny

Destiny Well-Known Member

I have also lost a cup size already and will probably lose a little more by the time I reach my goal. Personally, I like small-medium breasts on women, especially if they are in really good shape. Sometimes when I see women with an awesome body and big fake breasts, I am really turned off about how that looks. Especially if the implants are big and round and look hard and the skin is pulled too tight. Sometimes I look at before and after pics on cosmetic surgery websites and it seems like it must be really hard to find a doctor that can get them looking good. A natural breast of any size looks so much better to me than a fake breast.

Personally, I have no desire for larger breasts and would never consider getting implants. I think leaving yourself natural gives a person more character. Lastly,you shouldn't be too depressed because based on your pictures you look very well proportioned. You have great muscle definition and in my opinion that is far more imortant than a big chest! :tu:

12. woeisemma

woeisemma Well-Known Member

I agree with Chim-Chim. Jeremy, your "thoughtfullness" was not needed.

13. piel2000

piel2000 Well-Known Member

well i am not taking sides. i am w/ you chim-chim about how men if they were laking they would probably consider these thoughts but i really do not think he was directing those statements straight to you. you as well as i know there are many women who do this for attention and not self motivation many which will probably die alone too. do not take it personal as you said Jeremy has been good at questions and in-puts, but i think what he said and hope will sink in to those women whom do it for attention and feel it will be a cure for life love. but i am with you totally about just the thought of doing something like such (even though i would probably never get the nerves). i have been married for 4 and w/ my husband for 6 and i just want to look the best for him and feel the best about myself. don't let this get to you. you always had a good attitude about opinions on other threads. keep your head up. like my mom told me, "never take a mans opinion to heart unless they were born a woman." haha

14. woeisemma

woeisemma Well-Known Member

"never take a mans opinion to heart unless they were born a woman." LOL that's great! :D

15. JeremyLikness

I am thankful for the chance to share my thoughts and opinions. I do understand that this was a woman-thread and therefore I did step out of line in inserting my opinions. I was hoping to add a male's opinion because the real men I know could care less about the size of your breasts - they care about the quality of you as a person, and as a package. It is only an insult if you choose to take it that way. I know that the pursuit of gaining muscle mass is superficial. Whether or not that is derogatory is again a matter of opinion. It is not my place to judge - I have not earned that right and I have my own share of traits and characteristics I am constantly improving. Fortunately, people who care point out the places where I can make improvement, and I have learned to take that constructive criticism and choose to continue to disagree, or instead of taking it personally, do something with it to improve my life. If you choose to disagree, that is fine.

As for this - "Would you be as quick to have that response if you were lacking in an important region? (I'll let you guess which one I am speaking of)"

How do you know I am or am not lacking? Would I really care? Do I? I only know that my relationship with my wife has nothing to do with any physicial feature of mine, or lack thereof. So the honest answer is - yes, I would be as quick to have that response.

"I am surpsrised that you would feel the need to be borderline insultive towards anyone who might consider this procedure and I can assure you that I am not the only one upset by this. Usually you come across very helpful, remind me to steer clear of you in the future."

If you wish to steer clear, that is your prerogative. I can understand avoiding complex issues instead of facing them dead-on.

Here is why this strikes a sensitive nerve with me - that women continue to allow society, the media, and general pressure to allow them to become upset and obsessed over something trivial like the size of their breasts. Yes, I said trivial, and I meant it. In the scheme of life, it is trivial, and yes, it is superficial. Does that make me BETTER than you? Heavens no! We are all human, we all have our opinions. I have a friend who was 350 pounds. He had a lot of issues that created that situation for him. That did not stop me from pointing out he was doing something seriously WRONG and that he needed to change. He didn't like what I had to say, but it was because I cared about him, and the result was that he started to make the right changes. In the past, he simply reacted with anger and withdrew. Now, I could have tried to please everyone and felt bad but you know what? It was life or death so I chose to risk alienating him in order to help him realize what was going on. And I am happy I made that decision.

I have a friend who was burned - nearly 100% of his body - when he was young. He has suffered skin graft after skin graft. His skin is constantly dry and flaking, cracked. He cannot move several fingers on his hands because they were so damaged. He has a hole under his lip, cannot grow facial hair, and when small children see him sometimes they innocently ask, WHAT HAPPENED? Or stare with their mouths open.

Now he could play the "victim" and woe is me and go on, but he made a decision to simply live life and enjoy it. And he lives life like a normal person. He is a victor, not a victim. In fact, I often forget anything physical happened to him - it is only when other people who are still stuck on appearances have a reaction that I am reminded. And does he get offended? No - he realizes sometimes people simply aren't used to seeing that and gives people plenty of time to adjust. Some do, some don't - that's their prerogative.

So, yeah, I think it's sad that someone can be burned and almost die and live a normal life comfortable with who he is, but people who are otherwise completely healthy would choose to voluntarily risk their lives because they feel a physical component like their chest size is important. If someone could help explain to me how breast size is anything more than superficial, I am always willing to listen with an open mind and accept new ideas.

Sorry, I don't sugar-coat things - I prefer to be forward and direct, it's who I am, so if that makes us incompatible, then I'll take alienating a few when I know I have reached many more. I certainly don't intend to hurt feelings or insult - I work with many people with low self-esteem who instead of trying to address the deeper, emotional self-worth and self-esteem, try to stick a band-aid on something by focusing on the physical. It's not a man or woman issue - whether someone is obese, or doesn't like the size of their biceps, or breasts, or any other body part, fixing the physical issue doesn't do a damn thing - it is the personal, emotional, spiritual transformation that makes a difference, in my opion. The fact that you think I would change my perspective because of something superficial like my (you know what) simply means we have different priorities and perspectives, because that is the least of my worries in life.

Again, doesn't make me better than you, and doesn't make you worse. It is just a passionate opinion that I possess and share. I certainly have my own flaws and issues to work out, I am far from perfect.

Oh, yeah, and a similar thread has sprung up elsewhere - with John's belly button, for example. There is absolutely no health reason on the planet why that would have to change at all, but it is obviously an issue that bothers John. Now, he is trying various methods to address that - but if he were to mention liposuction, I'd share the exact same opinion with him. 1 in 5,000 people die from liposuction, and that could easily fall on the 1st or the 5,000th person to try it.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts as well, and I apologize for interrupting a thread that was largely not meant for males.

Jeremy

16. FionaMaeve

FionaMaeve Well-Known Member

I don't think that Jeremy was directing his post at anyone. Just making his opinion known.

No surgical enhancement would be worth the risk of death. No way. Plus, just think if you did die. Ack! I would die all over again from the embarassment of being known as "that lady who died getting a boob job." :p

17. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

From what I know of Jeremy, he would never intentionally insult anyone. I think he was just expressing his honest point of view. Of course this is a forum for women, so his opinion (and probably mine too - sorry!) may not even be wanted. That's cool. Please PM Lisa and she will proxy-smack the shit out of me, if you like. ;)

I'm just going to say that I would never judge anyone who decides to have plastic surgery, but I personally could never do it. You should know that I (and many guys I know - more than you may think) happen to prefer small breasts. The whole huge breast thing is pretty played out, and is becoming kind of old-hat. I predict that small breasts are going to make a big comeback. :D

Sorry if I've offended anyone here. Just my honest POV.

18. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I didn't think that anything Jeremy said was insulting. I appreciated his comments. :D

19. Chim-Chim

Jeremy,

Many believe that those who choose to work out and eat right are being superficial. EVERYbody here didn't like the way they looked, are you saying we all have deep seated emotional issues for wanting to lose weight since that would be considered "fixing the physical"? That going to the gym is just coving up another real issue? My small amount of interest in getting implants has nothing to do with attention from males nor do I feel sorry for myself for having a small chest. I simply wanted some women's input to see how THEY felt about it, and how THEY were dealing with it.

I KNOW people take their lives for granted I worked at a hospital for years before I moved. I have so many personal stories that deal with human spirit and triumph. I worked in a cardiac rehabilitation ward. What angers me Jeremy, is that you are attacking me as a person and not the idea. There is a difference between "sugar coating" things and being insulting. You could have stated your opinion without cutting me down. You anger me because you know absolutely nothing about me! You are making assumptions about a complete stranger. HOW on earth do you know what my priorities are? As a matter of fact my priorites are my family! I really don't like how you insinuate that people who get implants are shallow and have deep seated emotional issues. Oh, yes, and then there was the part where you said try forming realtionships based on yourself and not your chest!! That isn't even an issue! I look at how you replied and look at how John replied and you both feel the same but John was tactful about it. Thank you John!

20. JeremyLikness

I'll say one more thing and then we can take this to private e-mail, as there is not need to have a long, drawn-out debate.

First, eating right and working out are more than superficial - there are reams of research to prove it. The health benefits are well documented. The second leading cause of death in 2000 was improper nutrition and/or lack of exercise. I'm not familiar with any statistics linking breast surgery with improved health - so that argument stops being something logical and turns into just a matter of opinion - and everyone is entitled to one.

Chim-Chim, yes, often times being overweight is more deep than the superficial, extra amount of fat. It is often very internal, and has to do with emotions, with trauma in the past, with feelings of inadequacy, etc. Most of the people who have amazing breakthroughs don't simply figure out a special workout or calorie routine. They have an internal breakthrough - a mind, body, and soul transformation. Going to the gym, Chim-Chim, is a well documented method to improve your health. Again, it holds no water in an argument for plastic surgery because I am still waiting to read the article about how that improves health. I have read plenty that indicate how it damages health.

Second, I never once accused you, specifically, of anything. I can see because you started the thread that it would be easy to assume that my comments were directed at you - you are right, that is how it could appear and for not communicated that directly, I apologize. You are right - I do not know you, I don't know your priorities, and as I already said before, it is not my place to judge. And I also made it clear that just because people are focused on external factors doesn't make them shallow. Being focused on something superficial doesn't make you a shallow person. I have focused on superficial things in my life - i.e. gaining muscle mass for no other reason than cosmetic appearance, etc.

So, Chim-Chim, here's where the buck stops. You can continue to draw this out, I'm sure a few more people will jump in, etc, but I'm out of this thread. If it is important to continue, then take it up with me in private. The fact is, I am not attacking anyone. I am not accusing you of anything. I am expressing a general opinion that may or may not apply to people. You made a choice to take it as a personal insult, and you continue to filter out any information but that which you can react to emotionally. And that is why I know there is no point in continuing this discussion - you have already made up your mind based on your preconceived notions and interpretations of my first post, and I already made the mistake of posting without clarity and expressing an opinion that obviously struck a nerve, and ended up hurting someone's feelings when I did not intend to. I am sorry - I apologize, I made a mistake.

In case you are interested in where I draw my opinions from, here are a few links for your own research:

http://www.mercola.com/2002/oct/9/breast_implants.htm

And I'm no expert, but I can bet that when Dr. Mercola said "This is particularly sad, as the implants will in no way shape or form treat the underlying distorted body image that motivates the vast majority of women to have the surgery in the first place." he was NOT taking a personal dig at you, but rather relating the disturbing trend that I was trying to share with my post.

http://www.prwatch.org/prwissues/1996Q1/silicone12.html
    http://www.lawandpsychiatry.com/breast_implants_linked_to_suicid.htm
    http://wildcat.arizona.edu//papers/89/97/01_4_m.html
    http://implants.clic.net/tony/Corner6/016.html
    http://www.007b.com/who_needs_breast_implants.php
    http://www.smc.edu/voices/forerunner/volume2_1/our%20bodies/Human%20Sexuality.htm
    http://zine.dal.net/previousissues/issue18/editorial-life-thin.php
    http://www.healthypages.net/news.asp?newsid=3069
    http://www.prwatch.org/prwissues/1996Q1/silicone12.html

Jeremy