1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Any advice?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by cheech81, Jan 23, 2004.

1. cheech81

cheech81 Well-Known Member

Hello all, this seems like a very friendly message board so I thought I'd come to you with a couple questions.

I'm 22, 6'2", 200-205 lbs. I'm by no means fat, but far from skinny. Since I've started my new job 6 months ago I've also put on a little weight around my mid section (something I'm not used to). I don't think it makes much sense from what I've read for me to bulk at this point in time... cutting seems like the better option(?)

One big problem I have right now is with my work schedule (3 pm - 2 am Monday-Friday). This usually means I'm lucky to drag my butt out of bed before noon and makes it especially difficult to get in the necessary 5-6 meals/day I've been reading about. I'd hate to have to set my alarm every 3 hours to wake up and eat :) Anyone in a situation similiar to mine? Do I cut or bulk? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Andy

2. Super Fink

Super Fink Well-Known Member

Andy-

As long as you stay active at night then pushing your meals back to fit your schedule should be OK - prob not the best, but better than eating crap or ruining important sleep to get up and eat!

If you wake up at 12, look at that as meal one and go from there. You should be fine, but try to eat less in the evening and more in the day.

Good Luck!

3. Collegefour

Collegefour Well-Known Member

I would suggest adapting your entire nutrition/workout schedule to your work schedule. I work graveyard (11pm to 7am, Thur-Tue), and that's what I do. I get up about 3 or 4pm, work out, eat "breakfast", and time my meals from there. I have to eat two meals at work, so I make them before I go to work and put them in a cooler. If you're dedicated, you can make it work.

4. andi

andi Well-Known Member

Yep, I do the same thing. I work 5pm-1am, so breakfast whenever I get up, meals through the day, and I'm having dinner right now. 9:40 pm Eastern. And I'm at work. Eating dinner at work sucks.

5. Naytch

Naytch Well-Known Member

I used to work nights and it would completely throw my body off. Try to keep to a schedule and get your 8 hours of shuteye! Rest is one of the important factors that many people forget about. Muscles grow while you are resting.

6. Tiger King

Tiger King Well-Known Member

Too true, too true. I forget how many people I've met who think they are building muscle when they lift weight, and go home and eat chocolate and drink pepsi and stay up all hours of the night while thinking their muscles are getting bigger, not being aware that it's just the opposite.

7. map200uk

map200uk Well-Known Member

hey cheech8,

ive read about a lot of people in that situation and yea i can imagine it is hard, im a student atm so i also have some difficulties in that i cant take full meals to college/get them there so i substitute with supps,

you may want to check out, meal replacements and whey protein to provide an easy source of protein/meal.

Would mean you could take 2 to work

good luck mate

Mark