1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Another new one here!!

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Lola, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Lola

Lola Active Member

Hello everyone, first off I loove this site and I've learned soo much reading and I'm still learning, but I need a lil help.
    My stats: I'm 5'4" I was at 115-116lbs 6 months ago, and now I fluctuate btwn 107 and 110 lbs.

A little back story, I've always been thin and in pretty good shape for normal standards. I worked out off and on for years now, but for the last 5 months I have been really at it. I have always been a very good eater and have never been into junk food with the exception of high school but that was 12 yrs ago (i'm 30). I cut out all sugars from my diet (with the exception of certain fruits) I don't drink any kind of soft drinks or artificial anything, and almost everything I eat is organic (but that's just the way my parents brought me up). To make a long story short as far as my diet is concerned, I eat very, very clean.

Ok, so to my workout. I do cardio average 3-4x a week 30-40mins and I have been lifting 2x a week. I don't want to write a novel here but I have been lifting weights that make me tired by the end of the first set. A quick example is when I do the seated leg press machine I'll do 3 sets starting btwn 75-90lbs and work my way up to 105lbs. I worked my way up to this point, and I've only been doing that weight for about a week. My point is that I don't feel like I've made that much progress, I did loose about 5lbs when I quit eating sugar, but I am trying to gain more muscle and loose body fat. I think my body fat is about 18-19%, but I'm not quite sure, and I'd like to loose a bit more fat.

So, how often should I be doing weights? Should I keep up my cardio? I come from a dance background and only in the last 5 months have I been really into the gym, so I'm still getting used to it. I'm feeling a lil bit discouraged because I feel like I've been doing soo much....but I guess I have not been doing enough. Any help and or suggestions would be really appreciated!!! :D:D

I'm posting pics of me from about 6 months ago and from this week.

Thanks!!!! :)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    This is an idea of what I want
    [​IMG]

#1 Lola, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  2. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

Welcome!

We're going to need more information in order to give advice. Please post your calories and macros, plus the amount of the food you eat for every meal. Remember to include the time of your training as well. :)

My advice is to lift for strength. Use free weights and compound movements such as barbell squat, deadlift, bench press, back row and military press. Look into some out-of-the-box program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 (you can google those). Right now, I don't think you need to lose fat; you need to build some muscle. To that end, the cardio is probably not going to help you much, so I suggest cutting back on it. If you're doing one of the programs I mentioned properly, you probably won't have much energy left for cardio anyway.

In all honesty, I think you're already there :).

3. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

agreed. i've never seen someone look more like their "what i want" pic!!

4. goonie

goonie Active Member

Is this the long way of asking "where can I buy a green bikini"? :confused:

Your photos show very noticable progress in taking fat off your hips and waist, and adding a bit of muscle. Solid recomp work.:tucool: Tape measurements would certainly validate this, as would a "before" profile shot.

BF% is probably slightly higher than what you're guessing, but close. Scale weight is definitely going to be near meaningless as a progress indicator--nothing but head games there.

Need more info on the diet beyond just "clean". That tells me you're not eating Big Macs, but past that, we're guessing at macro totals.

Not trying to question your intensity (ok, maybe a little :)), but I'm guessing a dancer's legs are going to be stronger than a 105 lb leg press. How many reps? ~45 degree incline press?

Where specifically would you like to see the additional muscle? Back and arms?

5. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

That's what I was thinking. :nod:

6. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

I third. :tu: I think building muscle will take care of your shape, as muscle has very high caloric needs in comparison to adipose. A growth-orientated program will, IMO, instigate the change you're after.

Here's a good resource for getting an idea of what lifts look like, and how to put them together.

7. Xkn

Xkn Well-Known Member

I agree that you're pretty much there already. Aside from a bit of a tan, the only minor difference I see is that you appear to naturally have a slightly wider hip structure. If you are wanting to decrease your hip/shoulder ratio, it can be visually offset by increasing overall size in your upper back and shoulders. Make sure you're hitting the dumbbell shoulder press, lateral raises, rows, lat pulldown/pullups, in addition to the other major compounds. Rack chins if you want to be creative. If you are wanting to lift more frequently, you could hit your weak parts 2/wk, just stop a rep or two shy of failure on most of your sets to prevent CNS burnout.

Remember you will never look like someone else. Just strive for the best you. :) It's easy to lose objectivity when looking at yourself.

8. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:lol:

I'm glad four other people said it before me.

I don't see a difference between you and her, except maybe your tummy is a little more firm.

Is there something specifically you can describe that you'd like to improve about the way you look?

Actually, I really like the way your shoulders look in the "before" pic, and if I were you, I'd focus on that as a target bulking spot. But that doesn't mean there's anything wrong about your shoulders now.

I don't think you should aim to lose more fat without aiming to also gain muscle at the same time. You're very tiny and if you get much smaller, you'll start to disappear. Your target is definitely not any smaller than you are. You might want to consider swapping the strength training vs. cardio frequency. I think you would do yourself some good to save some of that energy for your strength gains. :gl:

9. Lola

Lola Active Member

Hi everyone!!
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm gonna try to answer everything. As far as dancing, I danced from the age of 10 till I was 22 and I haven't really kept it up in the last 8 yrs...I miss it though..but that's another topic. lol
    My eating...well I have never been a really big eater, I've always had to remind myself to eat. I always, always have breakfast though. A typical day is 3-4 egg whites or 2 eggs scrambled with onions and tomatos or green peppers, with 1 or 2 slices of brown rice bread (I have a problem with wheat). A few hrs later when I remember or realize that I am hungry, I'll probably have an apple with raw almond butter and whatever I have on hand like a handful of raw almonds or a bit of Brie cheese and olives. In the afternoon I'll usually have a whey protein shake with blueberries, raspberries, almond milk and a greens supplement. Dinner always varies, it could be 1 grilled chicken breast with brown rice and veggies, or grilled shrimp with brown rice and veggies. I'm not into red meat though, so that's never in the menu. I started tracking my calories on my iPhone 2 days ago and I realize that I'm barely eating 1,000 cals a day!! I didn't realize this because honestly I just don't get that hungry, and I do know that i have to eat more....but I don't know how I'm gonna do that.

It's kind of funny how we have a different idea of how we think we look. I honestly thought that I was faaaar away from looking like the girl in the pic. I would like my thighs to show much more definition and I'd love to build my calves up. I lost alot of size after I stopped dancing. I would definitely like my arms and shoulders to show more definition. So yes I see how I'll have to build more muscle, which means I'll have to eat more....goodness I don't know how I'll do that. :D:D

#9 Lola, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  10. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

hopefully as you lift harder u'll get more of an appetite.

but yup.... eating more is going to be a huge step for ya. good luck!

11. J_W

J_W Well-Known Member

If you want definition, you must eat and work hard in the gym. Definition is nothing but a decent amount of muscle combined with low body fat levels. If you don't naturally have a big appetite, you'll just have to suck it up and set a timer or something to remind yourself to eat. Good fats are an easy way to get in extra calories. You can also just increase the serving sizes of whatever you eat, so instead of having 1/2 cup of rice have 1. Also, eat whole eggs. No need to be wasting the yolk.

Keep us posted.

12. Lola

Lola Active Member

Thanks for all of the great encouragement!! I really like this site....fantastic!!

I'll keep updating as the time goes on..

Thanks!!!!:)

13. alleyes7

alleyes7 Active Member

Hi, Everyone seems to have already said exactly what I was thinking! But one site that I found really useful to me is http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    It lists the main muscle groups, and when you click on them it provides a number of exercises for each one. It has really helped me make sure I target the areas that I want to...and it is nice that it shows a variety of exercises for each muscle, in case you get bored with one. Good luck with everything!

14. Lola

Lola Active Member

Cool! I'll check the site out. Thanks!!!

15. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

I'm a retired "dancer" and I too was a light eater, but I'm paying for it now. I'd "forget" to eat a meal here and then a day here and there and so on...ya know?

Now, I'm trying to get my metabolism to work with me.

Please, make sure that you are eating enough, as others have advised. It's counter-productive to not eat adequate calories.

16. Lola

Lola Active Member

Hi,
    I don't think this is what you mean, but I want to clarify. :) When you say that you'd also "forget" to eat for a meal or a day here and there... I hope you're not stating that I purposely don't eat to loose weight, or that I may have an eating problem. Because I don't. My parents raised me with a very healthy view of myself physically and I have never had an issue with thinking that I was too fat when I was dancing or now. I honestly have never had a really huge appetite. And I've always had a very healthy self esteem.
    Just wanted to clarify....;);)

17. MadeInNY

MadeInNY Active Member

Unfortunately, that's exactly what I meant :(

It started out purely as an accident, but then as I succumbed to the pressure to lose weight *ya know those 5 pounds that stuck to your thighs that no one else could see, but your dance teacher* I just sank into the eating-disorder category.

My natural tendencies to eat sporadically just worked well with "forgetting" to eat at all.

Even now, I have to fight to make sure that I eat enough and eat with frequency. But it sounds as if you have your head screwed on right :)

18. Medusa

Medusa Active Member

Unfortunately, I can't offer good fitnesss advice since I'm a beginner, but I wanted to tell you that you look great and you are very similar to your goal photo! I'm not joking. You will attain it, I believe, if you try because you are SO close!

19. Lola

Lola Active Member

Hi!!
    I hope everyone got through the holidays well!! I actually started doing the workout from Stronglifts. I really like it and I'll post pics in the next month or so to see if I've improved. Thanks Medusa for the cheer! ;-) I know it may seem silly to some people, but I really really didn't think that I was anywhere near what my after photo is..... Pretty funny how different we often see ourselves, huh?

I am wondering something, I am seeing progress in my body but of course we all have that "spot" that wants to take longer to kick into shape....so (and the ladies here will understand) mine is my butt, and the area just underneath, where your butt and hamstring meets. I am doing squats, lunges and deadlifts. And yes, I'm using heavy weights. I'm following the Stronglifts plan. Am I on the right path? Or is there something else I'm missing? Some top secret booty shaping workout I haven't discovered!!! :bb: It's a lil frustrating! lol I definitely want to build my booty more!!! :D:D

#19 Lola, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  20. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Getting those trouble spots to sharpen up is going to be the function of the diet, more than anything else. :nod: