1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

another McDonalds rant

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by GM Enthusiast, Apr 5, 2004.

1. honu*girl

honu*girl Well-Known Member

I had a friend who wasn't allowed white sugar, white flour - had all organic foods etc. That kid went nuts when he got his first job and was allowed to be out of the house. He ate out all the time! Then when he got married, he demanded the same rules he grew up with for his kids, but he'd go grab a burger and a beer almost every night after work. His poor wife would buy a candy bar and some mints at a gas station. Eat it at the gas station, throw away the wrapper, make sure there wasn't chocolate on her face and them eat mints to get rid of the chocolate smell!!!! CRAZY! I don't think total restriction is a good idea.

Anyway ... back to McD's. I don't think you can stop them from sponsering Sesame Street. They have a right to do so. Do they sponser Sesame Street out of the goodness of their heart to support Public Television? I don't think so - the "sponsering" is just adverstising. My 3 year old had his b'day party at Chuck E Cheese. Do you know why he knew about Chuck E Cheese? From PBS! We had never been there, but he knew what it was "Where a kid can be a kid!" We are all susceptible to advertising - but it's up to parents whether or not we give in to their requests for Sugar Bombs or McFatties. We can't shelter them forever - they will know it's out there and they deserve to know why we feel they don't need such products. (At least possibly not in excess.)

I'd love for my 11 year old daughter to not know about alot of the popular music that is out there, but instead of banning all music I teach her what our values are and what is appropriate. That way when she sees a video or hears a song, she hopefully can use her judgment if she wants to listen to it or not. I think it is the same with food - hopefully at a party my kids won't pig out on chips and cake because "mom isn't there" It's all about instilling values and habits - not rules and restrictions.

(ok, where is stepladder so I can get done from this big ol' soapbox....)

2. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

Fast food still tempts me-it's the chemicals

I've read Fast Food nation twice, thinking that by the second read I would be through going to Mickey D's, Wendy's, and Burger King. The problem is that they are everywhere, and they've driven out any local provider of to-go food.

If it's late and I don't have food in the house, I really have no choice when it comes to eating out but to go for the fast food-I'll usually avoid buns, fries, drinks, and anything but a chicken sandwhich.

The real problem is that it still tastes good to me, and feels good at least for about 5 minutes. Then I feel like I want to die. :confused: To quote Mike Myers

Father: oooooh I hated the Colonel...with his wee beeeeeeeady eyes, and that smug look on his face...oh you're gonna buy my chicken...
    Son: Dad, how could you hate the Colonel?
    Father: Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes you crave it fortnightly smartass!

3. efk

efk Well-Known Member

Amen Brother!
    I read it once and really thought I was done with fast food, but its too "soft", after reading "Mad Cowboy", I'm pretty much done with a lot of things, at the very least taking a break, then a LONG look at how things are done.
    Btw, "So I Married an Ax Murderer" is so underrateded