1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Another Ground Turkey Recipe

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by mastover, Jul 20, 2012.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

My mother used to make this when I was a kid. We all loved this meal, especially my dad. I was around 13 years old, and me and my dad would always look forward to this dinner. My mom recently read this off to me from the top of her head. She can no longer do any cooking, but she still recalls recipes. Thanks mom. :)

Cooking Time: 2 hr 25 min
    Ingredients
    1 cup bulgar (you can get this from a middle eastern store, or a good health food store. Full of vitamins and protein. A very under rated starchy carb source).
    2 1/4 cups water
    2 pounds ground turkey (99% lean)
    My mom used an old fashioned hand grinder, and ground the turkey breast by hand. I'm sure the fat content was much higher, but boy was it tastey!)
    1 large yellow onion, peeled and minced
    1/2 medium red or green pepper, cored seeded and minced (optional)
    5 egg whites, 1 whole egg
    1 cup low sodium beef or chicken broth, or water
    1/4 cup ketchup, tomato paste or tomato sauce
    3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
    1/4 pepper
    1/4 teaspoon crumbled leaf thyme

Instructions
    Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Boil the bulgar gently in the water in a covered saucepan for 20 to 25 minutes, until fluffy-tender.

Cook for 15 minutes, then mix with remaining ingredients, using your hands.

Pack into a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Make sure you smear the pan with a paper towel with 2-3 tbls olive oil. Or a pan close to those dimensions. I used one of those cheap tin foil pans. Bake uncovered for 1.5 hours or until the loaf is nicely browned and pulls slightly from the sides of the pan.

Cool the loaf in its pan on a wire rack or on top of the stove for 30 minutes, then serve.
    Notes:
    You can wait less than 30 minutes for it to cook, but it has a tendenacy to fall apart. Still tastes good though!

This sounds complicated, and it might not turn out perfect, but it's very easy, delicious and nutritious meal.

It also holds well in the fridge or freezer for you daily meals for the week.