1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Andy's Path

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by MannishBoy, Feb 7, 2006.

1. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Been thinking about doing this for awhile. Might as well get started today as any other.

Background: I'm a 34 year old guy that is working toward a healthier life. I'd always been a skinny kid. Started high school football at 5'11", 125 lbs or so, but through growth and working out, graduated high school at about 6'1" and 185 lbs. Took a lot of eating and workouts to get there, but that's probably about ideal for me to maintain without a lot of work.

About 3 years ago, I decided I was out of shape and getting pretty soft. I didn't even own scales, and had no idea of my weight. One day, I walked a couple of blocks uphill from our parking garage into our tower building downtown, and by the time I hit the lobby, I was sucking wind. That was my epiphany moment. I've gotten old and out of shape! Weight never was a concern, fitness was. However, I went and bought a scale and realized I'd gotten to 215! I figured 200-205 at most. That was a shock. That night, I started on my ellipse machine, and pretty much worked out 6 or 7 nights a week at as high an intensity as I could maintain for 20 minutes. I dropped about 20 lbs in the first month to month and a half, and eventually saw my low weight about a year later at 178. I didn't make any radical diet changes besides limiting my massive intake of Mello Yello/Mt. Dew to maybe one every few days.

Knowing what I know now, I would have done some resistance work, too, but I got to a pretty good cardio fitness level and I guess became the proverbial skinny fat.

Maintained around 185 for a couple of years. Then got hit with a big one. Last January 15, I was diagnosed with lymphoma in my colon/appendix/small intestine. Had about 18" removed through a 8" verticle incision through my abdomen. Started chemo in April 2005, finished 6 treatments later on 7/6/05. Porta-cath was removed in late August.

Through chemo, I started doing some basic lifts and body weight stuff to try to rebuild my abdominal muscles. I did as much walking as I could stand, although I looked like an old man doing it (bent over and slow). I think the most pain I had in my life was getting out of bed one day after surgery, and after coming home a week after surgery, I coughed and laid myself out for probably 10 minutes before I could move again. During chemo, I also restarted my ellipse work and even took up early morning swimming a couple of mornings a week in the neighborhood pool. Working out actually gave me more energy than sitting around.

I'm currently going through Chad Waterbury's Total Body Training plan for the second time. It works in with my traveling schedule pretty well, and my goals right now are general fitness first and formost. I haven't decided to bulk/cut yet, but will probably try to cut down in a couple of months. I'm currently 191 lbs, and according to fittogether.net I'm about 14% bf. I got a set of calipers recently, but I'm still trying to get consistent measurements. Practice. I suspect I may be higher than 14%, but lower than 20 for sure. Most of my visible fat is around my waist. I can see some ribs from the side, but have a bit of a pooch right around my scar that I never had before surgery, even at 215.

I'd really like to lose 5-10 lbs at some point in the near future, but I'm going to play this out a little longer and see what my body composition ends up after this round of TBT. If I continue getting stronger at the pace I've been going and hold my current weight, I might not be too unhappy with the mirror. :)

Enough long winded crap.

Did workout #16 tonight.

Sets 2, Reps 18. Antagonistic 1 minute between sets
    Exercises:
    A1 Seated Row (straight bar)
    B1 Incline BB Bench
    A2 Squat
    B2 Sumo Deads
    A3 Standing Military
    B3 Pulldowns

Felt good. Squats and deads at 18 reps antagonistic have me seemingly sucking all the air in the room in a single breath, followed by equal exhales (all while blissfully supine).

Oh, and I did 35 minutes moderate fasted cardio on the recumbant this morning.

Diet was pretty good, but got in a hurry and just ended up with my mid morning feeding being a Snickers Marathon bar. Bad for sugar, I know, and I haven't had one in months. At least it had 20 grams protein. Other meals pretty good.

#1 MannishBoy, Feb 7, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  2. TarSeal

TarSeal Well-Known Member

Andy,

Congratulations on overcoming your obstacles! Great story, very inspirational. Looking forward to following your progess.

:claplow:

3. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Thanks. I didn't really do anything special. I just refused to feel sorry for myself. The people that have higher stage stuff have to fight much more than I did, and THEY are the ones I respect. I just sat in a chair for 6 or 7 hours and had 'em pump me up with chemicals every 3 weeks. Didn't have to work at it at all, other than ab recovery :)

AM HIIT Cardio: 20 minutes

4. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I had to go to Richmond Thursday and Friday for work, so I missed some workouts. I meant to get up Friday morning and hit the hotel ellipse machine, but the time zone change killed me. I'd gone to bed early, too. Think I was dragging most of last week for some reason. Maybe it is inconsistent eating. I suspect I was down on calories due to my schedule. Next week probably will be hard, too, since I'll be out of the office Monday and then again leaving town for Atlanta Wednesday and Thursday. Gotta plan better.

Anyway, today I got up late (9am) and got on the bike for 36 minutes of LISS. Weighed in first thing at 189. Probably was a drop in water. I've also stopped creatine for a few days, and won't start taking it again until after my oncology appointment 2/15, just to make sure it doesn't mess with my tests.

Tonight, did workout 17 of TBT this go round, which is again antagonistic. 2x8

A1 Power Cleans
    B1 BB Flat Bench
    A2 Pullup (8 and 7 reps...getting better)
    B2 Seated Military
    A3 Leverage BB Row (don't know what these are called...like T-Bar but with a regular bar with one end in the corner)
    B3 Front Squats

I know the A1/B1 and A3/B3 pairings aren't the most logical. Oh well. Didn't plan well enough last week when picking exercises on my non-antagonistic days.

I went ahead and left in the power cleans. I didn't put much weight on (115). To prep my mind, I read some online articles (and the thread I posted here where chicanerous gave me some tips) to get everything fresh in my mind. Felt better than last week. I visualized everything as I got set, and after a couple of reps, it felt pretty good. I had to fight to keep my arms from wanting to do much pulling on the second pull, where I think it is really the body creating most of the momentum. I'll try to work through the core components of this lift after some workouts in the future to get it down better, but I like this in my workout. Even though I didn't feel like I was straining at all with 115, after I set down the 8th rep, I felt my blood pumping :)

I've worked quite a bit on getting my pullup reps up lately. I've really never done well on these since surgery, so I got sick of the low reps and decided to focus on them. I'm doing a set whenever I think about them. Actually I've done a set or two of 10 reps at times, which is a vast improvement from summer when I was lucky to get 2 due to the abdominal pain and general muscle weakness.

And on to my exercise of shame this workout....front squats. If there is an exercise that gets in my head, it is squats. I know they are my weakness, and even though they are improving, I often over think them. The only other exercise that worries me working out by myself is good mornings.

To be honest, I'm not sure why I had problems with front squats tonight. I'd only gone up 5 lbs from last weeks front squat weight. I think I set up wrong the first set. I think my hands were too wide, as was my stance. My wrists had trouble supporting the weight, and concentrating on that, my body wanted to roll forward out of the hole. I racked after 5 reps when I was going for 8, and it wasn't my legs that were the problem. Between sets, I did some wrist stretches to try to help myself. Second set, I worried about why I had so much trouble in the first set, but made similar mistakes. I racked the bar after 2, readjusted my hands and stance to narrower, and did the last 6 reps with much wrist stain and fighting off a forward lean tendency. My problem wasn't strength, it was mental, which ticks me off.

Not the greatest workout lately, but the next one will be better I'm sure.

Other than the workout, today was pretty unproductive. Took the Z for an emissions test and forgot my registration papers. Luckily, they let me go through anyway. I'm putting a new NISMO style bumper on and putting the car in the shop soon, so I needed to get this done today.

Went to Sam's, picked me up a bunch of frozen chicken tenderloins. Got some in the oven right now along with some green beans on the stove. :)

5. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Weighed 189 today again. You know, I haven't been weighing really regularly until about a week ago. Now, I seem to want to do it more often. Wonder if it is because I thought about doing this journal?

Did 21 minutes HIIT this morning.

Did some ab work tonight. I really need to get back to doing that more regularly. Once I got past where moving wrong or coughing hurt, I really backed off and took the advice of some that say doing big compound lifts like overhead presses, squats, deads, etc all work the abs enough. Probably depends on your goals, but I think I need more work in this area. I think I need to make myself do ab and core workouts at least once if not twice a week in my non-lifting days.

6. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Weight 189.

Worked outside all day today with some contractors. I really can pick nice days to schedule these projects. Temp in the 20s. At least it was sunny and we didn't have 2' of snow like the notherners do :) I've scheduled these types of jobs in the past with temps in the teens, 30 mph winds, and sleet/snow, so I guess this one was OK. Of course, last week it was near 60 here. Why couldn't I do this stuff on nice days?

No cardio since I had to be on the other side of town early, but no big deal since it is weight day anyway.

Workout 18 of TBT. 2x12 antagonistic, 45 sec rest between antagonistic exercises.

A1 Dips
    B1 Seated Rows (pulled to neck with tricep rope)
    A2 Barbell Lunge
    B2 SLDL
    A3 EZ Bar Curl
    B3 Pulldown

Pretty good workout. No disappointing exercises like my front squat in my last workout.

My grip strength is getting better on the SLDL stuff I only felt really strained on the 11th and 12th rep of the second set. I'm still limited by grip strength a bit, but not as much as before. Maybe my grippers will get here this week and I can start working some more on this deficiency.

I decided to change up my seated rows this past coulpe of weeks with a high pull. I think I read an article somewhere (Men's Health?) that said to do them to your neck to help strengthen the upper back more to get rid of muscular imbalance. Thought it worth a try, and they definitely feel different. I do feel like doing them high like this hits the back differently than to the low sternum, but I also feel it in my forarms a bit more than I figured. I might need to adjust technique some. I think I'll work this in occasionally in the future to my mix of seated cable rows.

Lunges aren't in Waterbury's TBT, but I thought since I'm going through for the second time in a row, I'd put in a few different exercises this time that are still compounds. First time I've really done much in the way of lunges with a barbell. I assume 1 lunge with each leg makes a rep, so in effect you go down 24 times for a set of 12. I've only really done lunges on occasion in hotels where they only have dumbbells, and never really thought about that simple question :)

I could definitely feel some DOMs last week after the lunges in my butt, so I guess they hit things differently from other stuff I'm going. Glad I added them, although my right knee definitely feels them a bit.

Bought me some of the Oyster smoothie blender cups the other day. I really like these for the easy cleanup. Just throw them in the dishwasher, and I've got 3 so I can do a whole weeks worth of PWO shakes without having to hand wash anything. I put a whole navel orange in my PWO shake tonight, and it was almost like an orange julius from when I was a kid :) Orange Gatorade, 2 scoops of vanilla Nitrean, a splash of heavy cream, and some ice cubes. Mmmm.

Going to shower and stick in some leftover chicken, green beans, and corn :)

7. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

In a rush to get out of the house this morning, so I did 21 minutes of HIIT again with a bit of protein before I started. I've been trying to mix HIIT with low or medium intensity longer stuff, avoiding HIIT on lifting days more often than not. Time gets me a lot though, and when I'm short on time, I do HIIT.

Weighed 189, wavering down to 188.5 before the red numbers went back to 189 :D

Tomorrow is Oncology appointment day. Yeah. Get to get stuck and felt up. I bet they want another set of scans soon, and I hate drinking that crap they now call "smoothies" before the PET/CTs. I have found the secret to them, though. Have 'em cold, and kill 'em as fast as you can. The more you think about it, the worse it is. First bottle always goes down easy, the second one has a mental battle with me if I don't just kill it.

Not worried in the least. That stuff's behind me :)

After that, I drive to Atlanta tomorrow afternoon for meetings Thursday. Then back to Nashville Thursday night. My girlfriend is coming in to town for the weekend, so I probably won't lift until Monday. I might try to fit in some lifting tomorrow before I hit the road if I'm not running too late.

Everybody have a great day tomorrow :)

8. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Ah well, white blood count is still low, but everything else looks great. The white count is actually lower than the last time. Kind of frustrating, but they aren't concerned about it. I guess those chemicals just whack your system pretty hard. I felt a bit scratchy in the throat this morning, so maybe I'm getting a cold or something that might affect it.

No workouts today. Heading to Atlanta.

Weight 188. Trending down without working too hard at it. I would like to get rid of a few pounds of fat, though, so I'm not complaining. I seem to hang onto fat now around my belly, and a bit of love handles at the waist.

Need to get the the hotel and get good sleep tonight, since I've been lacking on that all week. Plus, I'm working against time zones.

9. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Yeah, I think I'm working on a cold, but fighting it off pretty well so far. Don't feel that bad, but I will probably not lift this weekend. That may change.

Did 41 minutes of LISS this morning, though.

10. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Was a bit lazy this weekend. My girlfriend came to town, and between fighting off the cold and hanging out with her, I just got in one cardio session. Probably needed a bit of a break, though, as I kept crashing on the couch and losing hours of time without meaning to.

Due to the cold and travel, it's been pretty much a week since I moved iron through space. Not good. I usually don't skip workouts if I have a cold, and this one wasn't too bad, so I should have done them anyway.

Back to it this afternoon:

Workout 19 of TBT (3x18):

Decline BB Benchpress
    Bent Over Row
    Hack Squat
    Romanian Deadlift
    Good Mornings
    Calf Raises

My hack squat form sucks. If I don't concentrate near the end of my sets, I end up hitting my mid thigh with the bar, causing my knees to swim up the last 1/3 of the pull. I think I need to concentrate on forcing the bar back behind me through the up and down motion to keep it from being too much like a deadlift or something.

Also, I misjudged my RDL weight based on some previous workouts. Picking a weight for 18 reps is hard, especially for the big movers like variations of deads or squats. Couldn't finish the second set of 18 (got 16), so I dropped 25 lbs for the last set. Made a note for the antagonistic day next week to use a lower weight.

Weight was 188 this morning after a weekend of semi-clean eating. Had a good lean fillet that I grilled outside in sub-20 degree weather, though :eat: My grill has had a broken regulator for awhile and I hadn't gotten around to fixing it, so it was good to fire it up.

Also had spagetti one night with 4% fat beef. I grossed my girlfriend out with when she saw me browning the meat in the microwave using a plastic collander to allow the grease to drain out :D I've done it that way for years, and she just thinks its wrong. Tuff. Tastes just as good to me. I eat her cooking, she can eat mine on occasion. She didn't complain about the taste and ate her share, just complained about my method.

11. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Ah well, lost yesterday's ramblings due to the hard drive crash. Not a big deal I guess. Yesterday, I'd done 45 minutes of LISS and weighed 188.

Today, I weighed 189.5. Not sure if it was starting back on creatine at the beginning of the week or what that caused the increase in weight. I ate OK, definetly not enough to gain 1.5 lbs. Could just be regular variances.

Anyway, today is workout 20 of TBT round 2:

3 sets of 8 reps with 60 second rests:

Pull Up
    Dip
    Full Squat
    Traditional Deadlift
    Standing Military Press
    Lying Triceps Extension

Pull ups: really wanted to do 3 sets of 8, since I've finally been able to get over 10 pullups at times. I only got 8,7,6. So close...

On the full squats, the weight I did the first set with and I had projected would be the right weight for me today. I'd picked a weight 5 lbs less than I used for 5 reps for 4 sets a little less than a month ago, and since I'd only done full high bar squats in high rep sets since then, I thought that would be about right. Ended up adding 10 lbs to that for the last two sets because the first one felt easy. I had to fight a forward lean on the last couple of reps on the last set, which still goes to my deficit in core strength, but I felt good other than that.

Deads I also went up on my 2nd and 3rd sets after the first set went too easy. Grip is starting to become less of a problem here on smaller rep sets, but I still struggle on the 15 and 18 rep stuff in TBT at times. Good progress.

Military continues to be another problem area, and I had to back down on weight on it after I could only get 7 reps on the first set. Kind of disappointing.

I continue to struggle on picking weights for workouts, but I don't worry overly much about it.

I've got to decide what to do for my next routine. I really like TBT, and with all of the set/rep/rest changes it gives you, I'm almost tempted to go through it again since it is actually pretty fun and challenging. I just don't know if that is a good idea, but it isn't like a standard program where you always do the same set/rep scheme with only weight and maybe minor rep progression. Anybody got any opinions? I may post up in the bulking section for opinions since I'm not sure how many read this.

I keep thinking ABBH if I change.

At some point, I'll probably try to cut 8-10 lbs, but there is no rush. I'm not happy with the fat on my belly and low back, but I'm not torn up about it, either. I'm just glad I'm getting stronger at at least a gradual pace right now. Visible abs would be great, but I can be reasonably happy just to see added muscle underneath my mid teens bf for a bit longer as long as my waist doesn't grow.

I think I really want to finally break down and get some Ironmaster DBs. I know I'm going to do it eventually, but have been trying not to make any big purchases for a bit. I've got the money, just trying to be disciplined. I can always use the "it's for my health, and I'm worth it" excuse :)

12. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Weighed in at 188.5, so back down a pound.

Did 45 minutes fasted LISS. That's about it :)

Still trying to decide what my next program will be. I really am thinking about doing TBT again. Don't know if that is a good idea or not.

No long rambles tonight.

13. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I HATE FRONT SQUATS. They hurt! :D

Weighed 188.

Morning 35 minutes of kinda MISS. Running late, so I knocked off 10 minutes but upped the resistance.

Workout 21 of TBT round 2.

3 sets of 12 reps with 90 sec rest periods:

Sumo Deadlift
    Front Squat
    Seated Row
    Flat BB Benchpress
    Tricep Pulldown
    Preacher Curl

Deads felt good. Front squats hurt my wrists more than my legs. The weight was not bad on my legs or back, but my wrists just take a beating doing olympic style grips. I've got to work toward more flexibility here if I'm going to continue doing them this way.

Overestimated on bench. I think I was down nutritionally, because I had a call from work that kept me tied up for an hour when I was supposed to be working out, so I'd not eaten for about 3 hours prior to working out. I think I just hit the wall. I got my first set of 12, but only got 7 the second set, then dropped the weight a bit and got 10.

Oh well. Going to fix me some spaghetti I think :)

14. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Laying in bed this morning, I had a wild thought. Let's go run!

I haven't run in years. Probably since sophomore year of college. I had some achilles and knee pain back then, and decided it wasn't worth it.

Not sure how good an idea it is for me to be running right now. I went to an orthepedist a few months ago who thought I had plantar fasciitis and gave me some stretches to do. I did them religiously for a bit 2x daily, but they didn't really help a lot. To be honest, I've gotten sporadic at doing them lately.

My symptom is a feeling of "pressure" right behind or in front of the ball of my right foot. Doing the stretches has really helped very little, although it goes in phases and some days it doesn't bother me much.

Anyway, I got up, went to a cool google map based pedometer site I found awhile back, and found a path through my neighborhood that was almost exactly a mile. Some light inclines and declines were included, but no mountains :) Laced up my running shoes, got my watch, loaded a play list in my MP3 player with stuff like Crystal Method, Prodigy, and BT, and set out. I didn't push it TOO much, and knocked out 2 miles in about 17:08. Walked about another half mile to cool down.

I'm don't figure I'll make running a constant in my workouts, but maybe ever week or so I'll give it a go.

Then I did some ab work. I'd seen this Ab Boot Camp site on a journal page that Jeremy linked to the other day, and even though I'm not exactly the target audience (somebody trying for that last 4 week push to get abs to pop), I thought it might be good to start trying it at a bit lower volume for awhile.

I did two circuits instead of the three, and did them on the floor. I started on a decline bench, and decided I still definitely have some ab weakness, and the floor was the place for me. We'll see how sore I get in the next couple of days. I think I've got to start doing some more direct core/ab stuff. It will help me in a lot of areas I hope, especially squat stability.

Weighed 188.5

Anybody reading, have a great weekend.

15. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Weight 188

No cardio today.

High volume day, Antagonistic 3x18s

A1 BB Benchpress - &*(^*&(^!
    A2 Bent Over Row
    B1 Hack Squat
    B2 Romanian Deadlift
    C1 Good Morning
    C2 Calf Raises

I read my spreadsheet and thought I was on a flat bench day. When I started putting down my stats for the workout, I saw it was supposed to be a Decline bench day. Oops. No wonder the weight felt a bit light.

Still not quite sure about my hack squat form. Maybe I'm doing too much weight, but my quads can handle it just fine.

Workout was much heavier on lower back/hams than I remembered from last week. Should have designed it to have some more vertical plane upper body stuff somewhere instead of so much leg/low back. Oh well, got through it. Couldn't make my last two reps for RDLs due to grip (6th set of 18 reps with overhand grips just had my wrists shot). Set the weight down, waited about 15-20 seconds, and knocked out 3 more for the break in set.

Last week, I got in a shipment from ATW I'd ordered back early in the month. PWO has been about 4 ice cubes, 8 oz of water, a scoop and a half of orange gatorade, a scoop and a half of orange whey isolate. Damn that's good :D Like an orange julius or something. I threw in some raspberries the other night and they were great. I threw in a small banana that was about too brown tonight, and it was great, too. I think even if I go with somebody besides ATW next time, I've got to keep some orange protein for stuff like this.

Gotta go to Atlanta for a couple days again tomorrow for work. Stupid "leadership" meeting. Right when I don't have time to be blowing a day.

I've got to see what kind of gym the Marriott Marquis has. I've never used it, although I've staid there probably 50 nights or more. I'm nearly always with a group and don't have a lot of time. I did read in the room stuff where they'll bring you some exercise stuff to the room, but it sounds like bands and stuff like that :)

16. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Missed several days of training, partly due to travel, partly due to general fatigue. For instance, the night before last in the hotel, I laid down at 7 pm eastern (6 pm on my central time zone internal clock), and only moved about 2x before waking up 12 hours later at 7 am. I can't tell you how unusual that is for me. Even in perfect conditions, I can rarely sleep more than 7 hours straight.

Anyway, I weighed 187.5 this morning. I didn't eat often enough or good enough while I was gone. I was in meetings most of the time, so it was hard to get in enough food. Still, the trend has been slowly down lately. As long as it's fat, it's all good :) An informal cut!

Did 20 minutes of HIIT this morning, half scoop of protein before I started.

Tonight, back on the TBT train:

Workout 23 (of 24) TBT cycle 2. 3x8, antagonistic, 45 sec rest between sets:

A1 Pull Ups (8, 8, 6...*()*&)(*) Really wanted 3x8 tonight
    A2 Dips
    B1 Full Squat
    B2 Traditional Deadlift
    C1 Standing Military Press
    C2 Lying Triceps Extension

I did deads a little lighter than I should have, but I didn't want to hurt my squat work so I stuck with last week's weight. I wished I'd gone ahead and done the 10 extra lbs I could have done. I'm pretty sure I had at least 3x8x235 in me, if not more.

Squats I'm creeping up on being able to finally do sets 8x body weight. Not impressive to most of you, but to me it is a good thing. 6-8 months ago, I could barely do 100 lbs in either squats or deads due to my rebuilding muscles. I'm pretty happy, but not satisfied.

Next workout is my last in this cycle of TBT. I'm really, really, leaning towards doing it again, since I'm going to be traveling so much in the near future and doing anything requiring more days a week in the weight room is not going to fit very well.

Off to eat something solid.

17. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Once again, I've been on the road with work for several days, and haven't gotten caught up enough to post :)

Anyway, I finished TBT for the second time. I posted over at t-nation, and Waterbury told me instead of repeating TBT to do Waterbury Method followed by Art of Waterbury.

Basically, Waterbury Method has you doing one exercise at 10x3, and everything else at 4x6, with two antagonistic superset exercise groups and one last exercise on it's own. Everything about 80% 1RM.

I've done two WM workouts now:

Sunday
    BB Back Squat 10x3 @180
    A1 - Dips 4x6 @ 22.5
    A2 - Bent Over BB Rows 4x6 @ 95
    B1 - Skull Crushers 4x6 @ 75
    B2 - Standing BB Curls 4x6 @95
    Hanging Leg Raises 4x6

Monday - I did some cardio based on a Christian Thibaudeau article over at T-nation. I think he calls it Interval Build-Up Running (IBUR) (but I do it on a bike, so maybe mine is IBUB :) ). Not sure if I like it better than HIIT for 20 minutes or not. It didn't kick my butt the way I wanted it to, so I need to up the intensity I suppose next time.

Tuesday weight workout:

BB Bench Press 10x3 @ 190 (felt light. Going to 200 next week)
    A1 - Partial DB Deadlift (Rom. DL) 4x6 grip strength got me. Started at 235, backed down to 185 on the last set
    A2 - Standing BB Military Press 4x6 @ 90
    B1 - Standing Calf Raise 4x6 @ 205
    B2 - Upright Rows 4x6 @ 85
    French Press 4x6 @45

I really can't ever seem to figure out my grip strength. I can do high reps of close to the weight I end up doing where I'm supposed to be doing 80% 1RM. For instance, in the RDLs, I can do 18 reps at 160 a couple of weeks ago, but I can't do 225 or 235 for 6 reps tonight without regripping. 185 for 6 seems like not enough jump in weight from doing 18 @ 160. My back and posterior chain can handle much more weight than my grip, especially when I'm doing an exercise where I have to do more of a hook grip vs a reversed grip. Something to work on. (I know some of you big guys are probably laughing at this :) )

Good news is I felt better doing military presses tonight than I had. Maybe it is the 4x6 scheme. Shoulders have been what I consider a week point, so maybe I'm finally seeing a slight bit of progress.

WM leaves me feeling a lot less blasted than TBT, but I think that is because I was putting a lot of emphasis on always doing some squat variant and some dead variant.

Work is still slammed, so I'm just trying to find time to eat semi-on time and as good as I can.

EDIT: Oops, forgot my weight. I was 188 this morning, but a couple of days ago I actually saw 186.5 on the scale when I got up. I've not been that low in several months. I don't think I was dehydrated since I drank about a gallon an a half of water and no telling how much Crystal Light and/or other diet drinks I might have had while I was out running around.

Also big news, just finally broke down and ordered the Ironmasters along with the ab attachment for the bench. I think the hotel workout I got on the road with DBs finally motivated me. I think the ab attachment may make doing declines work with this bench, too. I'm excited.

#17 MannishBoy, Mar 15, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  18. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Ever have a day where you just want to kick yourself? Well, today's the day. I had a minor car wreck in my old beater 98 GTP. Didn't look too bad, but the front passenger suspension was bent in enough I couldn't drive it home as it took the lick right at the wheel. Days that end in rides home in wreckers are not good ones. I'm still much better off than last year at this time, so I can count my blessing still. You just go on and live the next day to your best.

That's kind of irrelevant to a fitness forum I guess, so I'll shut up and post my stuff today:

Weighed 188
    Did 15 minutes + cooldown of the IBUR cardio I mentioned yesterday in my post. I upped the resistance a bit and it felt more challenging. I'll keep trying it for a few more times maybe to see how I feel. No weights today.

Tomorrow will be better for me :)

19. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Weight 187
    Cardio None

Chin-Ups 10x3 @5
    A1 - Decline BB Bench Pr. 4x6 @155
    A2 – EZ Bar Curls 4x6 @ 90
    B1 - Seated Calf Raises 4x6 @205
    B2 – Lying Leg Curl 4x6 @ 75
    Lunges or Step-Ups 4x6 @ 135

Ehh. Didn't like this workout. Could have been I'd not been doing a lot of these exercises much if at all. Didn't know what weight to use.

Chins should have been at 10-15lbs probably. Decline could have been 5-10 lbs heavier.

Leg curl...meh, I don't like these and found that I don't like the Ironmaster super bench attachment much. If you use a 45 lb plate, it hits you in the back of the knees. Not designed to use with olympic weights first, IMO. It was an afterthought probably.

Lunges I feel all out of balance. I stuck my knee to the floor on one set when I got a bit off balance. Had a couple of seconds of "well, how do I get out of this?" before I mustered the effort to get back out of the hole :) I think I can do a bit better on weight, but I'm not stable enough so I'll hold this weight most likely next week.

I just didn't have fun this workout. Didn't like the desgin. Guess I have 3 more in this program, though, so I'll suck 'em up.

20. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Weight: 187.5
    Cardio: None (well, exept a little brush hauling :)

Workout (Waterbury Method):

BB Back Squat 10x3 @190
    A1 - (RDL) 4x6 @190*
    A2 - Standing BB Military Press 4x6 @95*
    A1 - Dips 4x6 @ 25
    A2 - Bent Over BB Rows 4x6 @ 95
    B1 - Skull Crushers 4x6 @ 75
    B2 - Standing BB Curls 4x6 @95
    Hanging Leg Raises 4x6

*oops, read the spread wrong before setting up and did the first pairing from Tues! Went ahead and did what I was supposed to do anyway, so workout was a bit longer than it should have been.

Decided to change up squats a bit. I did them barefoot, bar lower on my back, and with a stance about 4-6 inches wider than I've been doing them. I can't get quite as far down, but I think it felt pretty good. Still didn't feel like I was pushing it at the end, so I'll just 5% next week to 200 again instead of 2.5%. Maybe it is just 10x3s don't leave me as tired as all of the higher rep stuff I was used to in TBT.

Curls kinda tailed off, and I couldn't finish the last two sets cleanly. Added a brief rest and 3 more reps after the last sets to make up for my sloppiness. I think it might have been a bit of fatigue from doing the exercises I wasn't supposed to do :D

RDLs I had trouble with last week due to grip, so I lowered them down a lot...too much. I'm going to do them again on Tuesday anyway, and will increase weight a bit then then more for next week I suspect.

Leg raises...first set, I could do true leg raises with a slight bend in my knees, progressively getting a bit sloppier after 3 reps to 6. Then, I could maybe get one or two leg raises for the remaining sets, with the bulk of reps being knee raises. Abs are weaker than I'd like, but no surgery pain anymore.

I'm really missing standard and sumo deadlifts, but they aren't in WM. They aren't in Art of Waterbury method either, which Chad Waterbury suggested I go to next.

Anybody think putting them in Art of Waterbury would be any good? It does include good mornings, hack squats, and power cleans, so I'm getting a bit of the muscle work, just not the heavy stuff. RDLs get some of the muscles, but just isn't the same feeling.

Maybe swap for hacks? I probably should just do what is in the workout and then get a routine after that that includes them...maybe back to TBT.