1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Andi 2010

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by andi, Dec 28, 2009.

1. andi

andi Well-Known Member

I guess there's no better way to reintroduce myself to the fold than to post some pictures and milestone events.

November 2008: Living in Australia, traveling around the world for four months, trying to figure out what the hell had happened to my life. Depressed, confused, unhappy, 221 lbs.

[​IMG][​IMG]

April 2009: major surgery. I used the 3 weeks of healing time (on pain medication!) to break my addiction to Coca Cola. Lost 15 lbs. in less than 1 month.

May 2009: Left my husband and my adopted country and came home to the US and to my home city, San Diego. The day after I arrived I began taking kung fu classes and eating a more balanced diet. (husband and I are now divorcing, still very close friends, long story)

June 2009: 195 lbs. Already, note the receding chin and thinner layer of forearm :D Outlook is much improved, depression is gone....

[​IMG]

Aug 14: 188 lbs (oops, no pic) progress is slower as I start getting lazy about the diet - but not about kung fu.

October 2009: Okay, now I'm startin' to feel pretty good. I'm not where I wanna be yet, not by a long shot, but I was still willing to glam out for Halloween:

[​IMG]

A quick progress check:

[​IMG]

December 1, 2009: End up in the hospital for emergency gall bladder removal. I leave the hospital with 34 staples and two drainage tubes in my gut. Kung fu comes to a screeching halt, but the weight continues peeling away (probably not in a good way.)

December 14, 2009: down to 9 staples and 1 tube, some physical activity is allowed. I go to LA and Las Vegas for a series of concerts by the Brian Setzer Orchestra - and I boogie my everlovin' ass off.

Dec 23, 2009: 177 lbs.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Goal: 150 lbs, toned. Tomorrow, the remaining staples are to be removed. This week, very limited and slow kung fu begins, until the final drainage tube is taken out, hopefully in a couple more weeks.

More to follow.

2. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Wow, Andi. Sorry about the trials in your life the last 5 years, but you're looking great!

I love Brian Setzer. We saw the Stray Cats tour last year with the Pretenders and ZZ Top. I thought you just went to the concerts. You look like a personal friend of his. :lol:

Keep on boogying and keep us posted. All the best for 2010. :tu:

3. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Welcome back, Andi!

Your life has been far from boring since I last saw you. :lol:

Here's to an incredible 2010! :)

4. needachange

needachange Active Member

Nice progress! Welcome back.

and.... another fellow San Diegan :tucool:

5. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Welcome back, Andi! :wave:

6. andi

andi Well-Known Member

Thank you all, great to be back!!

Just got back from the doctor's office - I'm now totally staple free! Yaaaay!!! So nice to be able to bend at the waist and not be stabbed by tiny pieces of metal anymore!! :D The tube might come out next week - then I'm ready to really rock and roll!!

Carguy, I'm not a "personal" friend, but he and I go back a long way. I've seen him perform probably about two dozen times since 1994 (in the past 16 months I've seen him 10 times in 4 different countries) and I've met him and hung out with him several times over the years. I have photographed him live a bunch, and shot many live videos. He is hands down my favorite artist on the planet, and a really, really nice guy.

The biggest honor was having my photography forever associated with his music: earlier this year his label ran a contest to choose artwork for his new album. A photo I took won - it's on the back cover of the record, my name is in the liner notes, I'm plastered all over his website, and I won the guitar in the photo above. (lucky I started learning to play last year!!)

So when I saw him just before Christmas, I had to thank him for all that. And instead of the standard "meet & greet" photo, we recreated the cartoon on the cover of the "Christmas Rocks!" album. He was a great sport and we had a lot of fun with it.

[​IMG]

7. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Nice to see you back.

Were you in Vegas December 23rd? You missed the JSF gang by just a couple of weeks. :cry:

8. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi Andi! :wave:

I was a big Stray Cats fan back in the early 80's, and saw them a bunch of times in small clubs (they lived in Philly at that time).

I think I have a bunch of rare SC vinyl in storage... some Japanese and Australian imports, and maybe even a 10" (which was rare even back then). Let me know if you are interested and I'll see if I can dig it up.

9. andi

andi Well-Known Member

Thanks guava, great to see you here still! It's awesome to see how much of the "original guard" is still here and still committed. Ya'll are inspirational!

Yep, I took my mom to Vegas for the show. What a bummer that it didn't coincide! Are there photos??

We also took in the "Thunder From Down Under." Quite inspiring too. :evil:

[​IMG]

phillydude! Nice to see you as well! I used to collect vinyl and rarities, but it got to take up too much room! I only collect live experiences these days :D Great to know there are other fans here though! I wish I'd been old enough to see them back in those days...

Totally forgot to mention: 176.0 on the scale this morning.

#9 andi, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  10. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I thought about that one. If I'd had my mom with me instead of my husband, I might have gone to see it. :p

There are a few photos scattered in a few different places. There's a "Vegas Baby" thread, and then I think there are some in the journals of Ecrivain, phillydude, and LonestarChick.

We went as a group to see Bite
    [​IMG]
    It wasn't terrible, but it was not as inspiring as anyone hoped it would be. Kind of boring in some places actually. Really, I didn't think it was any spicier than anything I've seen on "So you think you can Dance".

We also went to see Criss Angel's Believe. The show was not spectacular, but was good; Criss was everything I dreamed he would be. He ran through the audience at one point, and I think the people on either side of me could probably hear my heart beating. :heart:

11. andi

andi Well-Known Member

Ah, Vegas. Always seems like there's a good reason to go back even if you've just been there! Criss Angel sounds worthwhile... :D

Weighed in this morning at 176.6. My appetite seems to be coming back, I slept straight through the night last night - possibly the first time that's happened since surgery - and I'm not really in any pain. Every once in a while my incision scar will suddenly go all tight and feel like it's pulling hard from the inside - that hurts!! People have said that's just part of the healing process, so I'm hoping its only temporary.

I did a huge shopping trip yesterday and bought all sorts of food to keep me in small meals throughout each day. I think I'll try my first modified "workout" since surgery today! Shaping up to be a great day.

[​IMG]

#11 andi, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  12. andi

andi Well-Known Member

Yesterday did 25 horse stances and 4 of my kung fu techniques (very slow, not full speed/full power) and felt winded after. I have a lot of stamina to rebuild after surgery.

Great night's sleep again last night, 177.6 on the scale today, did a brisk 10 minute walk around the complex and felt great afterwards. I am anxious to hit the ground running, but I gotta make sure I don't overdo it! Just because I feel great doesn't mean I'm completely outta the woods yet!

Spending today ticking things off my to-do list and designing some personal plans and goals for 2010.

Happy New Year, everyone!

[​IMG]

13. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

hi andi, happy new year and welcome back! hope you are healing.

I remember when you relocated to australia. I take it you are less worried about the imminent collapse of modern society? Or did you come back to go down with the ship? ;)

14. andi

andi Well-Known Member

Hey gravityhomer! Great to see that ol' avatar again! :D

For those who don't know me: In 2004, an introduction to peak oil (and later energy depletion in general, along with climate change) scared the crap out of me and my husband. Funnily enough, the very night we discovered it, I posted about it here. We tried everything to disaster-proof our life. Moved to my husband's home country of Australia and bought 20 acres in the middle of nowhere. While he was building our house and installing solar power, rainwater catchment tanks and a composting toilet, I grew vegetables, tended to the chickens and worked from home for a nonprofit sustainability awareness-raising organization. Jeez, reading it now it sounds like someone else's life. We lived like that for 18 months... but I'm a big city girl. I was miserable.

We sold the property, moved into the town he grew up in and tried grassroots, community sustainability efforts with very limited success. We were both committed to it, but he didn't let it take over his life. I did. Peak oil and climate change were all I thought about, and I couldn't understand why nobody else really "got it." The fear put me into a depression, I gained nearly 70 lbs. We let it (along with some other things) destroy our marriage. Finally, after editing a particularly frightening interview about climate change, I realized the problem is bigger than two people, or a community, or state, or even a whole country can try to manage alone, it requires coordinated global efforts. I realized that not only was this ruining my life, I wasn't accomplishing anything of substance!

I had enough. I wanted to get "the old me" back. I wanted to enjoy life again, not spend it in fear. I was unhappy in Australia. If the sh*t is going to hit the fan, I don't want to be in a country where, even after living there for 3.5 years, I was still a stranger in a strange land. I wanted to be with my family and friends in the place I loved, my home, Southern California, doing things that made me happy and fulfilled.

Unfortunately, my husband was never happy living in the US. And when my feelings on the whole sustainability thing changed, his didn't. Suddenly we weren't on the same path any longer - the things he wanted to achieve in life I didn't, the things I wanted to achieve he didn't. So we went our separate ways. I came home and "plugged back into the Matrix," he still runs the sustainability organization I started in his hometown. We're still best friends - but come June 2010, we'll be divorced.

What a crazy, crazy life.

(And before anyone jumps in, I am beyond arguing peak oil/climate change. If you want to discuss the issues, please do so in another thread. Nothing personal, I just can't anymore. Thanks :)

#14 andi, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  15. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

Welcome back Andi ! It's good to see you back in the swing of things. The recent progress photos look good!

16. andi

andi Well-Known Member

Thank you sir! Great to be back.

Forgot to mention, 179.0 this morning. My appetite is definitely back. :D Did a HUGE walk with mom today - must get a pedometer to keep track of these things.

17. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

ah, so down with the ship it is. we saved a deck chair for ya :D

Reading that old thread is great. I had just started my PhD research. I finished two years ago and parts of that report wound up in my thesis. The research I did on thin film photovoltaics still could eventually pan out as something, but it wasn't a great success at least for me. Later grad students followed along it, and I wound up on a patent. but it is still experimental and may be eternally 10 years away from production (like all great science).

18. andi

andi Well-Known Member

Thanks, so much more comfy in this deck chair :D So, Dr. GH, what are you doing with yourself these days? Congrats on the PhD!!

Weighed in at 181.0 this morning :eek: I'll be glad when the healing is complete and my body goes back to doing things with some semblance of normalcy! Buncha errands on the to-do list today, including buying a pedometer and body fat caliper!! Can't walk these errands but will either have a separate walk later today or do some more kung fu... or both!

Lots of goals set yesterday, and not just of the fitness variety. I'm going to dedicate myself to my kung fu and to learning guitar and singing, and try my hand at songwriting. And, I'm going to venture out on my own and officially start offering my services as a photographer. Business cards, advertising, networking, the whole bit - I'm gonna get out there and do it.

Of course, this decision required a camera upgrade. :evil:

Since I started here at JSF way back in '04, I've been using a pair of Nikon D70's (that's the 2004 D70, not the 2005 D70s). I love them, I know them like the back of my hand... but technology has vastly improved since then. So yesterday I ordered the Nikon D90. It will be here Tuesday.

[​IMG]

Friday I'm going to see some friends of mine play a gig up in LA, and will take the new camera and give it a good work out. I cannot wait!!

19. andi

andi Well-Known Member

According to my new pedometer, I walked 1.81 miles (4,548 steps) today. According to my new heart rate monitoring watch, my heart rate got up to about 109 on the walk. Scale said 180.8 when I woke up. (Have yet to get a caliper.) More later!

20. andi

andi Well-Known Member

181.4 on the scale this morning and a to do list a mile long!

You can really tell people are getting started today - when you hit "today's posts" under "quicklinks" in the top navigation, that's a looooong list of new and updated threads! Let's go get 'em, folks!! [​IMG]

Can't wait to jump into the JSF Bodyshop!