1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

AMR vs. Banditfist vs. TXItalian

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by txitalian, Jun 17, 2004.

1. txitalian

txitalian Well-Known Member

Start date: June 23, 2004
    End date: September 23, 2004

Pictures-Weekly updates every Friday. The first picture of the challenge will be on June 23.

Poses-1 picture front, full body unflexed.
    1 picture front, full body flexed.
    1 picture front upper body flexed.
    1 picture back upper body flexed.

These would be the “standard” shots and then if anyone wanted to add any additional shots then that would be fine too.

Judging-Weekly updates will be made in this thread. On September 23, a new thread will be created with a poll so members can vote for the winner.

Prizes-Trophy and John Stone's autograph :D (if he wants to of course)

Feel free to add anything else guys.

May the best loser win!

Jason

#1 txitalian, Jun 17, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  2. txitalian

In addition to the weekly picture updates, I think we should include our current weight and bf% if we can get it checked.

Jason

3. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

I'm ready. GRRRRRR! GRRRRRRR! Bring it on! :db:

4. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

I worked out this morning. Was supposed to be chest/tris. I finished my chest routine and was going to skip tris and get to work early. Then I remembered this competition. TRIs were hit hard!

5. txitalian

See? It's helping motivate already! :D
    My legs are still sore as hell from working them out on tuesday,had to skip cardio last night. Hopefully a hot bath later will help.

Jason

6. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

I've noticed already that because of this challenge, I'm reeally sticking to my diet over the past few days. Now If I can only keep it going for 3 months. :eat:

7. txitalian

Same here. Although I actually considered eating whatever until the 21st, but decided against it. I'm sure I'll cheat a time or 2 for special occasions, but have no doubt that it won't be a habit or turn into a binge week.

What workout program and diet are you guys going to be doing?

Jason

8. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

I am probably sticking with the 40/40/20, but I might be reducing my caloric intake to around 1800-2000. We will have to see. I haven't been keeping track of my eating habits. I had been trying to incorporate fruits back into my diet on a limited basis. I need to do some research on that.

I will stick with my 2 a days: weightlifting in the morning and cardio in the evening. I have surprisingly been able to keep that routine up for the past 6 months. About a month ago I went to a 3 day split on the weights from a once a week muscle group. When I started really hitting the weight about 7 years ago, I had my best strength and muscle gains during that time. I might explore some alternative routines in the future, but I am starting to up my weight again back to what it was a year ago.

I am headed to Colorado tomorrow, so I will probably have a tough time eating a really clean diet. But hopefully I can get some good cardio in the mountains.

I like the sig Jason. I will update mine to the same when I get back.

9. Marcman

Marcman Well-Known Member

did you guys do starting out pics? where they at?

10. txitalian

I believe we are going to put our 1st pics up when the contest starts on the 23rd.

Jason

11. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

My workouts this weekend

Saturday morning I got up and ran a local 5k race. I had skipped a run on friday so I really wanted to see how fast I could run this race. I ended up running 3.1 miles in 23:17 with an average pace of 7:22 a mile. This is a personal record for me so I'm stoked.

Then I went to my Saturday morning Kung Fu class. It lasts about an hour and a half. A lot of drills and sparring too.

Then I went home and dug some fence post holes and put in a few fence posts. The bags of Quickrete weigh 80lbs each.

Sunday I got up and went for a trail run with a friend. It's only about 4 miles but has a lot of steep ups and downs. After that I went home and put in a few more fence posts.

My diet wasn't great this weekend. Probably a few more carbs and fat then I usually get but I got on the scale this morning and I'm down to 175lbs.

12. txitalian

So I took my pictures for week 1 this morning. I'm not sure if my son stepped on my camera or what, but the jack that connects the camera to the pc was smashed. I am going to borrow my ex's camera tonight and will update then. I guess it's good in a way because it will be a more honest picture than 1 taken right after working out. Looking forward to getting this started :)

Jason

13. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

Current Stats:
    Height: 5'11''
    Weight: 175.5 lbs.
    Bodyfat: 13%
    22.8 lbs of fat
    152.7 lbs. of lean body mass.

Goal: Long lean athletic build
    Height: 5'11''
    Weight: 165 lbs.
    Bodyfat: 8%
    13.2 lbs of fat
    151.8 lbs of lean body mass.

My workouts will consist of running, swimming, cycling, kung fu and body weight calisthenics.

I mix things up a lot because I get bored easily but a typical week will look like this.

Sunday: long run 7 to 10 miles
    Monday: Swim 1000 yards at lunch
    Tuesday: 3 mile run in early am. Pushups, situps, pullups, and hindu squats. 1.5 hour moutain bike ride in evening.
    Wednesday: Run 4 to 5 miles at lunch.
    Thursday: Swim 1000 yards at lunch. Kung fu class in evening 1.5 hours.
    Friday: Pushups, Situps, Pullups and hindu squats in am. Run 5 to 7 miles in evening.
    Saturday: Kung fu in am1.5 hours. 1.5 hour moutain bike ride in evening.

Diet: I try to stay as close as possible to a 40,40,20 diet as I can but with all the endurance stuff I do, I end up craving more carbs so it usually works out to be 50,30,20.

The Problem: Something is up with my shoulder. Not sure what. I suspect tendonitis. I was doing MAX OT for a while but had nagging shoulder pain that would sometimes stay with me for a whole day. I laid off for a few weeks and did some pushups yesterday. Again, my left shoulder was sore all day. I have a Doctor's appt. next tuesday at 7:30am. So we'll see how that goes.

I'm attaching pictures below. Any suggestions are welcome.

Attached Files:

14. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

My suggestions:

1. When you pose, wear shorts or boxers or boxer-briefs for a full body photo.

2. ever considered taking down the bodyhair a notch? i don't want to sound rude but you've got a lot of coverage if you know what i mean.

15. txitalian

Txitalian Week 1

Current Stats:
    Height: 6ft
    Weight: 175 lbs.
    Bodyfat: 11-12%

Goal: Brad Pitt in Fight Club :D

Currently doing rest-pause training. I will do this for 6-8 weeks then try something else.

Sunday: Rest
    Monday: Back/Biceps/Shoulders/Abs, Cardio at night.
    Tuesday: Cardio in the a.m.
    Wednesday: Legs/Abs, Cardio at night provided legs function.
    Thursday: Cardio.
    Friday: Back/Biceps/Chest/Abs, Cardio at night.
    Saturday: Cardio in the a.m.

Diet: Using Harris-Benedict with 500 cal deficit=2300 calories,protein will be gramsxbody weight with an increase on lifting days,fat 20%,rest complex carbs with simple carbs post workout.

The Problem:Seeing results and then slacking. Not on my workout, but on my diet.

Attached Files:

16. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

Boxers to come in next shot.

I was waiting for someone to mention the hair. I'm surprised it was only one person. Don't worry about being rude. I've heard it all. Sweater back, Yak back, wearwolf, wolverine. You name it. I was gonna ask for some advice on this very subject. I was going to check into laser hair removal but it might cost a small fortune. I don't want to shave because of how itchy it will get when growing back in.

Any thoughts? Anyone as hairy as me out there?

17. StevieD

StevieD Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not as hairy as you, but still wanted to remove most of it in order to better see my progress.

What I use is simply a set of clippers, like the ones you would use to cut the hair on your head (I also happen to cut my own hair using these.)

It's MUCH easier than shaving. I just use the shortest guard (1mm I think) and buzz off all of the hair. If you look real close, you can still see the hair, but from any distance it's not visible. And, it's not so short that it's like razor stubble (i.e., no sandpaper texture).

My body hair is not nearly as dark as yours, so YMMV a bit. In any case I would think you'd see a dramatic difference, without some of the worries of shaving or other complete removal techniques.

By the way, I would do this as a first step if I was ever going to shave with a razor. It would help avoid a lot of the clogging of the blade, I'd bet.

18. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

I would experiment with either waxing or nair for men. Try a small area like the shoulders and wait a few weeks to see if you break out. I wouldn't wax on your own-in fact it's impossible to wax your own back. It's much cheaper than lazer removal.

But the clippers are a good idea to 'take it down' about 10 notches. Unfortunately, black hair on white skin is hard to miss even when it's short.

19. AMR

AMR Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice you guys. The hair has been an issue for me for a long time. Some people don't want to take their shirt off because they are over weight. For me it's the hair. I always find myself looking for someone that is more hairy than me.

I've got a sample package of that nair for men so I think I'll give that a try and then go from there.

Thanks again for the advice.

Brian

20. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

don't get too excited if it seems to work right away. definitely try a small area and WAIT A FEW WEEKS.

I bought some Epil Stop off the infomercial a few years back and when it arrived my girlfriend used it on my back and it took away all the hair beautifully. unfortunately, a few weeks later when it started growing back i broke out with bumps everywhere that remained for about 4 months.

the same thing happened when i waxed my back so it may be growing back process that is causing the breakout. if you get no breakout after a few weeks, by all means continue use.