1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Am I losing too much muscle?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Speedster, May 20, 2014.

1. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Greetings all -

Since April 15 I've been in a Biggest Loser competition at work. The competition is based on body fat loss, not weight loss.

I'm trying to determine if I'm losing too much muscle on this cut or if I'm doing just fine.

My stats:

Height: 5'9"

Starting Weight: 187.2
    Starting BF%: 22.7%

Current Weight: 177.4
    Current BF%: 20.4%

Based on this information I've calculated that I've lost 3.5 pounds of muscle and 6.3 pounds of fat.

What are your thoughts? Is that too much muscle loss?

My caloric intake each day is 1,600-1,750 calories per day on average. I'm doing morning fasted cardio 3-4 days per week and lifting heavy 3 days per week.

My macros split is approximately 40-45% carbs, 35-40% proteins, 20-25% fats.

2. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Are you finding that you need to go lighter in your lifting? When I cut, that's how I measure whether I'm losing too much muscle. If I start struggling with a weight that was fairly easy before, I think it's a good indication that my strength and muscle is suffering.

I've never been a fan of body fat measurements and other calculations, because a) I don't think they're at all accurate and b) I think loss of muscle is plenty obvious in the mirror and in your lifts.

3. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Thanks for the insight, Bradley. No, I'm actually still gaining strength on this cut. I'm sure soon I'll hit a peak for that, but as of now I continue to feel stronger and stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Recall that there is fat mass and lean mass (everything else).

Lean mass does not equal muscle mass.

Water retention is a part of lean mass but not muscle mass. If you are eating healthier and drinking more water, you will not retain as much water. Depending on how you hold water weight, it might not even be a noticeable difference in the mirror, but it can be a few pounds on the scale.

This drop will happen most rapidly at the start of the plan when you radically change your diet. This is why so many people who start weight watchers drop like 6 - 10 pounds in the first week.

You should have evened out by now, and your next measurements should show less lean mass loss.

Jaer
    can gain like 10 pounds over one gluttonous weekend, but it will all be gone during the following week when he returns to his plan.