1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Am I Eating Too Much? Critque Please.

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by CQ, Mar 18, 2008.

1. CQ

CQ Active Member

Like many women, I come from a culture brainwashed by popular diet books, advertisements, and glossy magazines. For most of my adolescent, I firmly believed that starving myself, depriving myself, and sweating in mind-numbing boredom on the treadmill is the price I have to pay for a perfect body. The changed recently. I was introduced to New Rules of Lifting and I have been following Alywn Cosgrove's NROL for women program since January. And its one hella challenging workout. My training log is here.

Basically, I do a variety of compound excercises like squats, deadlifts, and lunges three times a week. I also do HIIT about twice a week. I am 22 years old, 128 lbs, and my current bodyfat, according to Ormon, is 20.8%. The program consists of 7 stages, where I build up lean muscle mass and strength for the first 6, then cut in the last stage. I am usually sendentary (sitting around, surfing forums like this one) when not at the gym.

Supposedly, my BMR is 1,215 and my maintanence no-workout day calories are 1,944. The problem is, I love food, and I love my wine. I love cooking with real butter and drizzling oil on my salads. I have been eating clean and well: no junk, no processed foods, little refined foods. Its just all highly caloric, and I go over my calorie target almost everyday. My calorie intake over the past week is:

March 15th, 2008 2528.5
    March 14th, 2008 1958.05
    March 13th, 2008 2577
    March 12th, 2008 2207.05
    March 11th, 2008 2583.25
    March 10th, 2008 2198.15
    March 9th, 2008 1863.8

I keep my protein intake high, thanks to my new found love for experimenting with the blender and flavored whey. I average about 120+ grams a day. My detailed food log is here. I eat frequently throughout the day.

So far, I have not gained weight eating such a high caloric diet since starting the weight lifting program in January. But sadly, my body measurements have not changed either, though I noticed that I am slightly leaner and more muscular.

My question is, can I keep eating like this without compromising my goal of eventual fat loss? Will a high calorie, high protein diet even help facililate the growth og my lean muscle mass? I feel bad about eating sooo much food...should I not worry about it since I have not noticed a significant weight gain in the past month and doing heavy weight lifting?

When the cutting stage comes in June, I plan to stick to a booze free, low calorie (1700-1800 cals) and high protein diet for about a month. Would this be a sound plan? The last stage of the program, the cutting, calls for 4 sets of 15-20 reps of compound excercises each workout.

I hope I can get some advice on my nutritional needs for my program. I would also be interested in replies from women who are similar to my age/weight and their nutritional intake.

Thanks in advance.

#1 CQ, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  2. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

http://www.thedailyplate.com/diary/who/cq000
    Butter, cheese, sausage, Jelly Belly, vodka. :p Well, not completely clean.

As far as I understand, a 120 pound woman with normal metabolism and moderate activity should be eating about 1800 calories to maintain her weight. I think that would be good for you. It could be, however, that you have a high metabolism, and you might be able to eat more than that. But I think it's optimistic to expect to get leaner on your current diet. If you want to keep eating like you are, start training for a marathon!

On the other hand, it sort of sounds like you're trying to bulk right now, so your current calorie amount is probably fine, as long as you're prepared to cut later, at 1700 or possibly even lower, depending on how fast you'd like to lose the fat. :confused:

I'm probably right now about five pounds lighter than you and maybe a percentage point leaner. I don't track calories, but by my estimate, it's probably near 1900 calories. I bulk really poorly and slowly at very close to maintenance levels, and I typically cut at about 1500 calories

3. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

If you haven't gained any fat eating this way, then you're fine. Someday the alcohol may give you some trouble, and it usually does give trouble when cutting for most people, but eating this way now is not going to make it harder to cut. Unless, by making it harder, you mean harder to stand the fewer calories.;) In my experience, it makes it easier to cut.

Since you're 22, the alcohol and jelly bellies may not have so much effect on your bloodwork yet either.

I eat about 2000-2500 calories a day, I weigh 126 lbs. right now, and I'm 5'1". I don't eat as much protein as you, nowhere near. I do eat butter.:lol: I'm sure I'm not as lean as you are, though, but I'm not currently trying to be lean at all, just trying to maintain I guess....

Also, I think if your measurements haven't changed, but you're leaner and more muscular, same weight, sounds to me like you did lose some fat and put on some muscle.

Don't worry about the cutting til it's time for you to cut.:) Let us know how it goes....

4. CQ

CQ Active Member

*sheepish* you are right, I'm not as "clean-eating" as I thought :D

Thank you guava, thats a very good consideration. I wasn't planning to "bulk" when I started this program, didn't even know what bulking was. I think I will continue to enjoy my food for now, be a little more active, and cut calories in June when I start the high reps stage of my program. I do have a genetically higher metabolism, I think, I spent the last 5 years eating rather badly but never became overweight.

5. CQ

CQ Active Member

And glad to hear your input, Butterflyer. I guess I'm so attuned to the whole "a woman should eat like a bird" image that I feel bad for stuffing my face. I do have a weakness for saying no to second or third cocktails, but I think once I am determined to abstain during my cutting phrase I will. Good luck on surviving your allergy shots!

6. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I think it's good that you allow yourself to listen to your hunger. We should all look up to you as a good example. :dreamy: It sounds like you'll be keeping close enough watch that you'll be able to switch a few things around if you need to. :tu:

And you have impressive numbers on your lifts for a beginner. Are/were you an athlete?

7. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

Hey thanks CQ!:D

Enjoy your food!:eat: I seriously believe that the fact that you can keep your calories at the level you have them will mean that you won't have to cut really low to start seeing results during your cut. Your workouts are inspirational, and your before picture looks great. I'm sure your progress pictures will look great too!:nod:

8. CQ

CQ Active Member

Thank you, I'm surprised at myself too. Nope, never an athlete. I have always been the malnutritioned, pasty, cigarette-smoking sort that considered club dancing as "excercise" and the weight room as strictly for guys with bulging biceps. I'm totally hooked on the high of weight lifting now :D

Thank you, that is very encouraging. I can't wait to see my results on the cut, though I am really enjoying the strength-building stage too. Good luck!