1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative for Pushups?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by astroguy, May 26, 2013.

1. astroguy

astroguy Active Member

As a warmup, I do some pullups, prisoner squats, lunges, (pushups), some crunches, and inverted rows. Idea being to do some general, unweighted stuff.

A problem with this is I'm back to doing some work for my day job that requires basically drawing a lot with a tablet device such that my dominant hand wrist gets sore. I've been working on minimizing that, such as using less pressure, spreading things out, etc., but as a result, I'm trying to minimize putting pressure on my wrist and bending it at the same time. Both of which happen during pushups.

Is there a good sort of general chest unweighted exercise that doesn't require any equipment beyond a bench that would be good for warmups as a substitute?

2. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

If you have some dumbells, you can do pushups on them....no wrist bending required.

And then, if you have some dumbells, you could also do some light presses...

No dumbells? You can go for extra badass points and do knuckle pushups....:lol:

3. astroguy

astroguy Active Member

I have dumbbells ... I may try that tonight.

4. Llirik

Llirik Well-Known Member

+1 for knuckle pushups. It's just about the only kind that I do. You increase the range of the pushups a bit and they're much much easier on your wrists.

5. Steel Dylan

Steel Dylan New Member

use the iron gym total upperbody pullup bar, you can use it for pushups, pullups (including wide grip and close grip for variation in working muscle groups), tricep dips, and situps