1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Alcohol and lifting...

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Mythik, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Mythik

Mythik Well-Known Member

I know these 2 activities dont really compliment each other, but being a college student, avoiding the first is not very easy...at all (especially for someone who likes to party :D )...

Anyway, I know consuming alcohol hinders protein synthesis, but if there is a good 8-10 hr gap in between the 2, will it still be bad? Or will I be alright?

2. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

Depending on you and how much you drink- alcohol can remain in your system as much as 24 hours afterwords...

3. brezman

brezman Well-Known Member

If you're talking about lifting 8-10 hours after drinking, that would be worse than lifting and then drinking 8-10 hours afterward.

As always though, ideally would be no drinking.

4. GreaseVeteran

GreaseVeteran Well-Known Member

i have the same concerns Mythik...... peer pressure doesn't help either

but here is one thing thing that might help you (and don't tell your friends :D )

1) Empty out most of the contents of a beer can. Leave some in there, so people can't accuse you for drinking slow. You might want to take fake sips every now and then.

2) Lie if you have to, and swear that this is your 3rd can.

3) Always refuse beer offerings with the excuse that you've had enough calories. But you'd gladly do shots.

4) When you do your shots, "chase" with the beer.....i.e. spit out the shot into ur beer can.

5) By the end of the night, if you friends are starting to wonder why u're acting pretty sober...just tell them that your tolerance went up. There's a good chance that your friends are way too tipsy to even notice your soberness.

I know this is unethical party behavior, but ask yourself....what's more important? your long term goals or having fun for just one night

But hey, at least you get to be the guy that takes care of everyone at the end.....and you get to be the considerate and ripped party-goer

:gl:

5. seoulnewfie

seoulnewfie Well-Known Member

All I know is that If I go lifting after a night of drinking (which is very seldom), I can't lift near the amount I normally do during my workouts. Not sure about the chemistry behind it, but it can't be good.

6. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

If peer pressure is your only problem, if you truthfully do not WANT to drink but don't know how to tell your friends, well then there is a bigger problem here imo. Just say straight-up "no, I don't want to." What's the big deal? If they don't like it tell them "too bad." Peer pressure was never really an issue for me that I can remember. Yeah, I got drunk (quite a lot), got high (and I'm not just talking about pot), but I always did it cause I wanted to, or at least I didn't do it because I was pressured to.

If you really WANT to booze it up, that's another subject of discussion. I am kinda past that phase in my life so it's no big deal for me (I don't really want to drink nowadays to be honest). But I can sympathize with those in college and wanting to have fun. Try to do so in moderation I guess, and perhaps do some extra cardio when you drink heavily (but not on the same day, ugh I would hate the treadmill if I had a hangover!). Try to limit it to only the weekends and during the week be very strict about drinking water and eating clean and about your exercise.

The upside is that the next morning after being really hammered my abs were always totally shredded! :D

7. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

Whatever. Be young, have fun. Continue to train right. Zero alcohol or very minimal would of course be best, but drinking is not going to negate most of the positives of lifting and following a good diet

8. themuss

themuss Well-Known Member

I agree - I have a few beers on a weekend (a few being 3 or 4) and then one night a month I get well and truly bombed. I play a lot of sports on the weekend, plus train my ass off during the week, and follow a really good diet (6/7 times a week), so I will still achieve my goals.

Its my perfect balance and thats how I want to keep it.

We're all human.

9. themuss

themuss Well-Known Member

One thing I also forgot to mention - one rule I always stick to no matter what is early nights on a Friday. As I train AND then play cricket ALL DAY on Saturday, thats about 8 hours in the heat. I bust myself up during those 8 hours, I deserve a few beers at the end of it.

10. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Yes, it would still be bad. Protein synthesis is still more than double baseline rates 24 hours after you've lifted...so, drinking alcohol 8 hours later will still inhibit protein synthesis and limit the effectiveness of your workout. Some research also shows that alcohol lowers testosterone levels.

However, balance is everything.....sometimes the enjoyment you get from drinking a little bit will outweigh the downsides. So just don't go overboard and you shouldn't halt your progress too much.

11. Mythik

Mythik Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input guys.

would it be better to not lift days where I'm going to drink, then?

I'm only looking to get about 10lbs heavier (at about 170 right now), and am in great shape

Only pic I have.... [​IMG]

Just want to know, because I don't want some muscle groups getting stronger while others aren't (because of lifting then drinking)

12. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Alright, I've been in your situation, and despite just having graduated college, still sort of am. (I live 2 mi. off campus and my girlfriend is still a senior so I still go out pretty regularly.) So, I'll give my 2 cents.

You're young, you're in college, you're in very good shape... go out and enjoy yourself. You get 4 years to be young and stupid, enjoy every second of it because once you get out, it's all downhill from there. :p Just kidding, but things certainly do change, assuming you go straight from school to full-time work.

I've always been in very good shape and drinking anywhere from 1-3 nights/week didn't change that. I wasn't a 5 night/week drinker, but I did, and still do, my fair share. I ate as well as I could for a college student and worked out regularly. I kept myself active and the alcohol was never detrimental to my shape. Could I have been a little bigger or a little leaner? Perhaps, but I wouldn't trade all my nights out drinking and having a great time for it. I tried the NO alcohol thing for one semester. Sure enough, it was BY FAR, the worst semester of the 8 I spent in college.

Now some people say it's worse to lift the day after a night of drinking, others say it's worse to drink the same night you lifted. I say, stick to your normal routine, drink when you normally would, as regardless, the drinking isn't going to help you and the negative effects will be there either way. Try to load up on water the day you plan to drink and if you can, down a ton of it when you get home. I've also read that eating protein when you get back may be beneficial, but is it really? Who knows.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling. Bottom line, everything in moderation and go out and enjoy yourself.

13. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

Discipline my man...You will have to ask your self what is important to you. I asked myself that a few years back because I was making shit for gains. I allow myself 1 nite to have a few beers..I haven't drank hard liqour in years..so this works for me. Anymore than 1 nite and I can kiss my strength levels out the door along with the lower levels of testosterone the alcohol has an effect on. Peer pressure? Don't worry about it. Tell them what you are up to, in time they'll respect it. :tu:

14. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

I guess its down to the person. I'm a heavy drinker and i've done very well the last 3 months. Lost 25pounds and getting my old V shape back.

15. Rishi P

Rishi P Well-Known Member

yeh this was always a question i had in my mind..cuz i'm currently in college too and drink about twice a week getting bombe most of the time. With me is I don't like hard liquor and takin shots staright up..they give me bad hangovers and hard liquor messes with my head so i jsu drink light beer straight up but i dunno