1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Afraid of getting big!

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by fhaf33z, Jul 9, 2010.

1. fhaf33z

fhaf33z Active Member

Hello friends!

I am 245 lbs...just lost 5 pounds this week doing just treadmill.

I want to start weights next week but I am afraid of bulking up. I dont want to be huge, I just want to get cut and lose this fat.

If i lift weights and start increasing them, will I get bigger? I just want to get lean and cut.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

You should absolutely be on a good lifting program to build muscle and alter your metabolism!
    Getting lean and cut is almost 99% the function of your nutrition, not the lifting or cardio.

Good luck and welcome to JSF. :tucool:

3. tbuck

tbuck Active Member

Dude...

You just received an unsolicited response from Mastover, undeniably one of the most knowledgeable folks on this forum. Pay attention.

Don't worry about big and bulky...you're already there. Why wait until next week? Work on your diet and pick up the iron.

Welcome. Lot's of folks here been where you're at (myself included). :gl:

4. fhaf33z

fhaf33z Active Member

Thank you for the reply!

I thought it was all about lifting. I am watching this dvd, Secret of the Pros by Milos Sarcev. It gives good advice on how to lift. I will work more on nutrition, I have allot to read on the forums on what to eat/cook.

I just dont want to get stocky and bulky it doesnt really suit my look i mean i am already fat and huge lol but i guess i have allot of reading to do on what to eat.

5. daciz2

daciz2 Well-Known Member

once you're here long enough, you'll wish you can build muscle as easy as you think you can. true story

6. Hockey4

Hockey4 Active Member

Exactly. You don't ever wake up one day, and say, "Oh, **** I accidentally put on way too much muscle. I'm absolutely massive!"

7. philph

philph Well-Known Member

:nod:

8. petvan

petvan Well-Known Member

damn.. wouldn't that be nice!

"oh no, not those 19" bi's again!"

9. mcfc98

mcfc98 Well-Known Member

This is a common fear of starting up so don't think you're alone in that.

You'll soon realize it takes months and years to really bulk up you wont wake up and look like the hulk one day; So don't worry about it just do it.

10. rattle104

rattle104 Active Member

About six or seven years ago i was 6'3" 245. I decided that i needed to lose weight. Like you I didn't want to lift for fear of getting "bigger". Over the next year and a half I ran and dropped from 245 to 230. I wasn't lifting at all and not paying too much attention to my diet. I continued to run and my weight leveled out and stayed at 230. After about a year I got my diet a little bit more in control and dropped down to 215 or so. I decided at 215 that I was ready to get HUGE and started lifting on a regular basis. A funny thing happened. I went from 215 to 195 over the next few years. I'd say that I lost close to 30 fat pounds and put on about 10 lbs of muscle. I now fluctuate from 195 to 200 at about 9% body fat. I have been this way for nearly two years.

I lost fat the quickest when lifting weights and i cut way down on my cardio. I did mostly compounds which I also credit for my fat loss. Deadlifts, squats, pull ups, rows, bench, push press, etc are going to do much more to rev up your metabolism than some curls or a couple of pulldowns and some cable rows. I now wish I'd started lifting like that when I first was trying to lose weight. I honestly believe that I would have lost it much quicker and been in shape a few years earlier.

As for getting "too big". Won't happen. Go to any gym and look at the guys who are in there day in and day out lifting weights. Very few are big and bulky. The ones that are, most likely, want to be. There is a certain diet and lifestyle that must be maintained to get really big. If you eat at a caloric deficit and lift hard you will drop fat quickly and put on a decent amount of fat. I'm not saying you'll add a lot of muscle doiong this but when all that fat is gone, you won't just be bones underneath. You'll have a decent muscle base to build upon.

11. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Muscle burns more calories then fat about 20 times more. You have to be over 6' 5" to carry 245 well without muscle. What is your height? I suggest a low calorie diet with weight traing as the main key. Mastover is a Man with a plan.

#11 RTE, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  12. Gance

Gance Active Member

Haha, I want a day like that....:lol:

But seriously, you have some really knowledgeable people responding to you (Mastover, Rtestes to name a few), listen to what they say, and you'll be in the best shape of your life in less than a year.

13. tensdanny

tensdanny Well-Known Member

Practice what you preach.

14. fhaf33z

fhaf33z Active Member

Thanks everyone for all the excellent answers!!! :tucool:

I wont be able to start lifting weights because Ramadan is starting in about 2 weeks.

This means I cant eat or drink anything from sunrise to sunset. In New Jersey, it from about 5:30AM to almost 9 PM!!! It will be brutal for the next 4 weeks.

Starting mid September, I'm gonna be lifting weights. I am really pumped cant wait!!:bb:

15. Bt443407

Bt443407 Active Member

I don't mean to talk down on your Islamic faith, but how serious are you towards a healthy lifestyle? What are your goals?

If you truly want to stick with this, you are going to have a mighty rough time during Ramadan every year. For the hours of the day where you cannot eat/drink, your body is not going to be getting the required macronutrients it needs to maintain muscle...and 4 weeks is a long time to go without weight lifting/dieting. However, good luck with everything.

Brian

16. user786

user786 Active Member

dont mean to derail the thread But i also fast and it is possible to weight train during ramadhan ...the gym i go to is busy a few hours leading to opening the fast and there are some huge guys in there lifting heavy weights fasted...they train then open the fast and eat....it is possible to train fasted just need to cut the volume .....

in regards to to getting the required macronutrients again over the day ...there are many people who Intermitent fast 16hrs and eat for a few hours a day and have great results ....i dont think the muscles are going to shrink if you dont eat every 3 hours etc...and if they are who wants them kinda of muscles:) ....iweight training is a life long journey and u just got to fit it as best you can.:gl:

17. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    As an faster, I agree with User786. I don't buy into the muscle loss if you don't eat for the span of a day.

Check out leangains.com. Martin holds to a 18 hour a day, every day fasting routine, I believe, getting all his meals in an 8-hour feeding window. I'd be happy to be maintaining his size and fitness!

Jaer
    feels it is calories per day more than calories per hour that matter. In fact, I plan more by calories per week then per day, and it still tends to work out.