1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Advice

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Shell Wrath, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Shell Wrath

Shell Wrath Active Member

Hey everyone,

I have posted here a couple times about my health mystery. I did a big no-no when I went to lose weight... I was like most Americans - thought that all fats were bad so I basically had no essential fats in my diet while losing weight in 2009 but didn't even know the importance of the EFA's.

My sex drive was affected first in late 2009. Then, eventually everything. EVERYTHING. I suffered very, very badly in 2010. I'm a LOT better than I was but still not where I would like to be and I want to lose about 25 pounds.

After trying to "figure it out" for so long, I just recently realized it was the lack of EFA's - mostly omega-3's that had caused me so many health issues. DUH !!!!!!

I'm getting plenty of omega-3's now.. so

QUESTIONS:
    - how do I get my body to start burning fat again? (I know, I know... "eat fat to burn fat" but is that all?)
    - how many calories should I be eating right now while trying to bump up my EFA's and trying to get my body back on track?
    - how much fat? I'm currently shooting for 45-50g a day... is that ok?

I'm 25, 5'4", 148 pounds and currently attempting to eat 1700 calories since I need to be on a calorie "plan" or else I go overboard because I have a hard time with carb cravings due to prob the lack of EFA's. I also like to be on a certain "set point" for calories right now since my "you are full" signal is way off because otherwise, I have a harder time stopping at a certain point. If I have a plan, I use more willpower to stick to a certain calorie meal. My maintenance calories are prob somewhere around 2100 or so.

My "symptoms" because of all this hit me randomly throughout the day... my biggest symptom I get sometimes is a burning tongue.. or atleast it feels like it's burning to where I feel inclined to stick my tongue out and a little wave of fatigue. Don't know if that's my blood sugar or what it is that goes up and down during the day because it's not all the time. I am sure it's something that is off balance causing that symptom. In the past months, I would use food to try to "comfort" the symptom- which would always lead to me eating way, way too many carbs and calories in general.

I LOOOOOVE exercise and being active but I just do not have that energy right now for it. I just recently starting trying the 1700 calorie plan and have found that If I try to push myself at all with exercise, it brings on the above mentioned symptoms hours after I've done the exercise so I think my best bet is to just do walking and plenty of resting.

Tips? Advice? I want to be lean like I was getting in early 2010!!! Thanks for reading.

#1 Shell Wrath, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

1,700 calories may be close to the mark. According to the Harris Benedict method this would put you on pace for a healthy 1 lb per week loss with moderate exercise.

A few things off the top of my head. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water (at least 64 oz per day). Make sure your plan includes veggies. Add nuts to bump your fats to where they should be. Get a good multivitamin. You may want to try adding grapefruit into your diet to control carb cravings.

Figure out a plan for how you are getting your calories in. a calorie goal is great, but what are your ratios? Track what you eat every day. there are websites like fitday.com where you can track. I use an excel spreadsheet. Tracking workouts and food enable you to refer back and adjust when progress stalls.

The main thing I suggest may sound harsh, but you need to commit 100%. You need the correct mindset. Cravings are a mental thing that you can fight through. Stop making excuses and commit. Food is fuel. And the fleeting feeling you are going to get from caving to your cravings is NOTHING compared to the long term happiness you get when you look in the mirror every day.

Hope that helps! Good luck in your fitness goals!

JB

3. Shell Wrath

Thanks. Believe me, I have always been about planning... I love to plan and set standards and I am usually VERY VERY good about it because I have a VERY strong willpower but when my body fell apart so did hormones and everything, causing me to feel horrid and it's hard to resist when you feel so, so bad. I am doing great so far with sticking to my plan... I just hope I start to feel better soon because once I get over the "worst" part, I know I'll have no problem "sticking to my guns" so to speak because I lost 76 pounds in 2009 and I NEVER had a problem with sticking to my plans while losing weight before but back then I wasn't facing all this on top of everything.

4. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

If you really feel that what you did to your body (or how you did it)did any damage to hormone levels, I would strongly recommend seeing a doctor. Feeling horrible all the time, especially when feeding your body correctly, is an awful feeling. Plus there could be things going on that you don't know about that could be exaserbated by the diet and exercise you have committed to.

5. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

You don't say how active you are.

Normal fat targets are 20-30% of calories. Below that would be a low fat diet. Above that higher. Considering how low your calorie intake is you likely should be on the higher end of things.

6. Shell Wrath

Yea, I went to the Doc numerous times when I was real bad off - bloodwork always came back normal except for elevated liver enzymes, which, they could NEVER figure out why because I don't drink or take additional meds. The only thing I realized I didn't get checked were my cholesterol levels. That's how I came to the conclusion about the lack of essential fats in my diet was that I was talking to an online friend of mine [who is a nurse] about my elevated liver enzymes and she asked how my cholestrol levels were since those of course can affect the liver. Lack of essential fats = cholesterol mess up = elevated liver enzymes is my guess.

7. Shell Wrath

I used to be extremely active... used to strive for 5 days a week of atleast 45 min-1 hour of either cardio or weight training but that was before my health mess up. I would love to be as active as I used to but my energy is depleted and exercise only makes it worse. Well, I feel mostly OK when I try to exercise but a few hours later, I feel miserable. All the body imbalances have kicked my butt. I'm trying to boost my good fat intake but I guess I'm asking about it just to make sure I'm getting enough but not too much.

8. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

In my opinion, you cannot have too much fat intake as long as you stay within appropriate calorie guidelines. Today's society is too fearful of fat. If you are eating lean meat and getting plenty of veggies you should be fine at an appropriate amount of calories.

Incorporating nuts and some fruit will be a good choice as well. I like JB's idea for grapefruit and I personally like adding a banana as part of my post-workout snack. The nuts and lean meat will provide plenty of all types of fat that your body needs if you make it and veggies the center of your diet. In the end, the biggest thing is that you have to listen to your body.

If it is throwing up signals like fatigue, pain or hunger, your body is trying to tell you something is wrong. Follow up with that and re-evaluate your plan periodically. If you don't look at results and adjust your plan when necessary, it can lead to bigger problems than just weight loss plateaus.

Good luck and Godspeed. Stay healthy!

:D

9. Shell Wrath

Thank you!! Yes, during 2010 I ran into MUCH bigger problems such as with my nervous system, memory, sleep, circulation, reproductive, digestion... so it seemed everything was affected from this lack of good fats. Not to mention I stopped losing weight and started to gain since I wasn't able to control my carb/fat cravings anymore. I was trying to figure the "problem" out along the way but I was looking at every answer except the essential fats. Seriously bad mistake! Without those fats that our bodies don't make, things get ugly in a bad, bad way.

10. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Agreed. I always sleep better and am in a better mood when I get around 30% of my calories (or more) from fat. As long as saturated fats are around 50% of my fat intake(and no trans fats are included), I feel great. I have found much more success going with low carb programs anyway.

In truth, the best weight loss program is a balanced diet and appropriate exercise(funny how that works out, isn't it?). That is probably the biggest thing that I have learned in my efforts to drop 100+ pounds. If you are moderate and consistent on your caloric restriction and keep a good balance of fat, carbs and plenty of protein, everything will come off in good time.

Keep a good attitude about it, and when you start feeling good again, shoot for a loss of up to 1 pound each week. Losing 1 pound each week would get you to your goal of 25 pounds in less than 5 months. Plenty of time...

:tu:

11. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

And remember that results take time. It's worth the wait and effort, as 100 lb Lenny can attest to. :)

12. Shell Wrath

For sure! I know how it is... I've lost around 100 pounds my heaviest back in 2006.

13. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

CONGRATS!!! :claphigh::claphigh::claphigh::claphigh::claphigh: