1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Advice to relieve soreness from running (beginner)

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Albi30, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Albi30

Albi30 Active Member

What do you use to relieve soreness? Just started running, and I'm sore. Muscle rubs, Ibuprofen, suck-it-up. What to do or use?

2. Terps01fan2006

Terps01fan2006 Active Member

If you just started, your body isn't going to like you for a while. Once you get in a routine, your body and muscles will adapt and the soreness after runs will decrease.

Just like anything, your shocking you muscles, ones that probably havent been used for this purpose in a while, it take a while for the body to adapt to stress. Your muscles are being broken down (on a very micro level), thus the soreness. The body is a smart machine though, because it will build those muscles back up even stronger than before, thus the adaption to stress from running placed on the body.

Unless it is a true injury, suck-it-up would be my humble opinion.

3. jmike

jmike Active Member

stretching or mild excercises that targets that sore area's

that will get the blood flowing to the effected area -- usually works for me

if i am sore from benching heavy weights -- i might to 2 or 3 sets of 5 pushups in the morning just to get the blood flowing again

other than that -- let your muscles recover and be gentle with them .. until it is time to pound them again

4. wwwolf

wwwolf Member

Suck it up. running hurts for about a month. I used to be a track athlete, pre-season was not something I looked forward to.

Nowadays we are somewhat more enlightened. Try a foam roller, one of those wand-roller things or a cricket (or lacrosse) ball to help with myofascial pain and tightness. Or even get a pro massage if you're so inclined.