1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on usage of Creatine and BCAA

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by troygi, Jan 8, 2011.

1. troygi

troygi Well-Known Member

Ive decided to add creatine and BCAA's to my list of supplements along my journey to build/retain muscle while losing fat. I am doing a 3day split along with 3 additional days of cardio. I have been taking the BCAA's twice a day, approx 40 minutes before my weight training and cardio days and with one of my meals. I have not started the creatine yet, I will be taiking it once a day, but am unsure if i should do a pre-loading phase before going to the once daily dosage. There are no instructions on the container on how to do this, so I am unsure.

Does anyone have experience with these supplements and the most effective/efficient way to use them? thanks

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

2 - 4 gr creatine monohydrate (even on days off). Timing doesn’t matter because your muscle is already creatine-saturated as a result of having been on it for more than 1 month. Saturation takes about 28 days.

BCAA's are unimportant, unless your daily protein intake is inadequate. Pre and post workout would be the best times for exogenous BCAA intake, but if your protein requirements are met by day's end, and if you have sufficient amino acid intake surrounding the training bout, I'd save your money. If you are below maintenance with calories, or are training for a bodybuilding show, BCAA
    s might be beneficial between meals, and again at wakeup, otherwise if your protein intake is high and adequate, extra supplementation is unnecessary.

3. troygi

troygi Well-Known Member

Hey Aram, definitely glad to see a reply from you. Especially being a former client of yours, I know first hand about your commitment to the craft. Will definitely take your advice. Just one follow up, so you are saying I can start right away with 2-4g daily and there is no need to 'pre-load' before going to a daily dosage? Thanks again.

4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

As long as you take in 2 - 4 gram per day, you will reach saturation point in about 30 - 35 days. Keep in mind that your body already makes creatine naturally, and eating fish and red meat also contributes to creatine intake. Pre-loading is not necessary IMO.

5. troygi

troygi Well-Known Member

Great, I will follow suit as you suggested....Thanks again!