1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on new program

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by Prodigy, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Prodigy

Prodigy Active Member

Just wanted to post my new program and see if anyone has any comments (good or bad) on it. Thanks. Will be doing 3 sets of 8 reps.

Week 1:

- Monday (Chest/Back)

Incline bench press
    Incline dumbbell flyes
    Dumbbell rows
    Bench press
    Dumbbell flyes
    Good mornings

- Wednesday (Legs/Shoulders)

Seated dumbbell raises
    Squats
    Upright rows
    Stiff-legged deadlift
    Dumbell Shrugs
    Lying leg curls

- Friday (Arms)

Standing barbell curl
    Close-grip bench press
    one-arm preacher curl
    Lying db tricep ext
    Reverse barbell curl
    Barbell wrist curl
    Hammer curl (1 set to failure)

Week 2:

- Monday (Chest/Back)

Decline bench press
    Decline dumbbell flyes
    Barbell rows
    Bench press
    Dumbbell flyes
    Dead lift

- Wednesday (Legs & shoulders)

Miltary press
    Squats
    Dumbbell lateral raises
    Incline reverse flyes
    Leg extensions
    Standing calf raise

- Friday (Arms)

Incline dumbell curl
    Lying tricep press
    Preacher curl
    Close-grip bench press
    Reverse preacher curl
    Barbell wrist curl
    Hammer curl (1 set to failure)

2. chris0374

chris0374 Active Member

I would take out the "Arms" day, and repeat each of your workouts twice, making you weight traing 4x a week. If you can't train 4x a week, you can do Chest/Back, Legs/Shoulders, Chest/Back, and then start the new week with Legs/Shoulders, and repeat; making this program 3x a week program. I see "Arms" day unnecessary as it is being worked in compound movements on your chest/back days. If you wish to add them, I would squeez some in your chest/back days and legs/shoulders days, but then that might be too much volume. It's your call.

For Chest/Back days, I would get rid of one of the flyes and replace with pull-ups. I don't see much back being worked on your Chest/Back days, other than the Good Mornings. For Legs/Shoulders, I would remove the Dumbbell Shrug, and replace them with military presses, Push Presses, or something similar that's a compound movement.

What's your set/rep scheme for this program?

3. goonie

goonie Active Member

Prodigy, can you summarize your goals as they relate to weight management, hypertrophy, and strength? If you're looking to lose weight, how much? Same thing if you're trying to gain.

The benefit of a day of direct arm work is going to depend on your goals and previous training experience before this routine. If hypertrophy is your main point of emphasis, you've been training for awhile, and previously weren't doing a lot of direct arm work, it might be right for you. If weight loss is a bigger issue for you, it probably isn't.

You could use some additional vertical pulling if you have access to a bar or high pulley cable system. I wouldn't be replacing the shrugs with even more pressing exercises.

4. Prodigy

Prodigy Active Member

5. mark

mark Active Member

I haven't been having much luck with my current routine (in fact my strength has gone down in regards to some exercises). I like that routine, nothing but big compound weights.

I think I'll give it a try too.

#5 mark, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  6. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

Good idea. The only change i would make i would do pair up the 2 Vertical pushing/pulling exercises and the Horizontal pushing/pulling exercises.

bench press/row
    Overhead press/pullup