1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for ITB syndrome issue?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling, Mountain Biking & Cyclocross' started by Derwinator, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Derwinator

Derwinator Well-Known Member

I've been riding fairly steadily for the past 8 months and have only had one problem with my right knee during this time. At the time I had just started using clip in's and an adjustment of the cleat position solved that problem. Recently, I finding that my IT band on my left leg is bothering me during my rides. It hasn't been too painful but it has been affecting my performance. I'm finding the area to be a little sore like a bruise for a day or so following the ride.

Nothing has changed in my bike setup or my shoes/cleats and I'm riding about the same distances and routes each time. So, I can't figure out why this has come up now? A friend suggested that I probably just need to get that leg in shape because I took a couple of weeks off at the beginning of Sept while traveling overseas so I'm wondering if that's the reason?

2. abuseguy

abuseguy Active Member

3. Derwinator

Derwinator Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply - I've decided that I'm not experiencing an IT band issue but it's in the tendon that runs behind the knee and attaches to the lower calf. A friend told me it's a stress injury but not sure how I would have done this as I haven't changed my riding habits. I forced myself to take two weeks off and rode this past weekend. I still had some pain but not as severe and also noticed it seemed to improve when I stood up in my pedals to ride. Wondering if I just need to raise my seat height?