1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for getting started with trainer?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling, Mountain Biking & Cyclocross' started by Derwinator, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Derwinator

Derwinator Well-Known Member

Fall has arrived and with it fewer days of decent riding weather. Last year, I hit fall and winter and lost a lot of momentum on my bike fitness because I didn't have an indoor trainer setup. I swore that THIS year I wouldn't make the same mistake. So, I am now the owner of a brand new Kurt Kinetic trainer and want to setup my own "BTC" :D

My Kurt trainer came with the InRide sensor and I have picked up the Kinetic training app for my smartphone. My bike has a mount for my smartphone that I currently use on my rides with Strava so I know I could just get started this way. But I am also interested in looking at TrainerRoad using a notebook or tablet for my training. Since I'm in OK shape from a spotty fall riding season so far I'm thinking that I could get started with the Kinetic app and "upgrade" to TrainerRoad at some point when I'm in better shape. My goal is to not just maintain but come out of winter in my best shape for outdoor rides.

What's your advice for getting started? Many thanks for any suggestions!

2. Derwinator

Well, I kicked off my training today by taking the FTP test built into the Kurt Kinetic app. But, I don't think I did it right. The default FTP setting is 200 for my profile but after completing the 1:05 hrs test it put me at 130? What I was trying to do was to maintain the target power level during the 5 minute and 20 minutes sustained "high power" intervals but I'm thinking I was was supposed to push as hard as I could to exceed the targets?

3. Arlen

Arlen Well-Known Member

You waited a long time for a reply...I'm newly back to the forums. Trying to get by old body back into something resembling a shape other than round.

I use TrainerRoad pretty regular in the winter, maybe once a week as it warms up. With TrainerRoad and the FTP test it starts out with a base FTP of 200 as well. Your goal for the test portion of the program is to go as hard as you can for the duration of the test.

For TrainerRoad I do the 20 minute test. For 35 minutes or so during the warmup you match the power output it suggests. Or reasonably close if you think you set the FTP close to what you'll end up with. It's a warmup, no big deal. But during the 20 minute test you go as hard as you think you can for those 20 minutes.

The last time I tested I think I was a bit fatigued so I bumped by result up....after riding a few more days I bumped it up even more. I ended up 6 more than what TrainerRoad suggest at the time....it seems to work.

If you haven't tested again, I'd suggest you rest up a couple days, eat well and test again. Enjoy.

4. Derwinator

Yes - it has been a long time. I've already figured out the answer and have moved on to Zwift (which I LOVE). Thanks for the reply!

5. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

So embarrassed I never saw this** until just now. :oops: Sorry, @Derwinator . I'm glad you are sorted--and thanks for replying @Arlen !

** I actually did see it, was busy at the time and couldn't reply, and then forgot all about it.

6. Derwinator

No problem - I was just being a total noob and should have done more research before I got started using the trainer apps!

7. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

No, not at all. You may have noticed we could use some fresh posts around here. So, please--post away. :D