1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for first 100 mile ride?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling, Mountain Biking & Cyclocross' started by Derwinator, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Derwinator

Derwinator Well-Known Member

I'm taking on my first 100 mile ride tomorrow and looking for any advice others can share. It's a supported event so there will be water stops every 12-14 miles plus SAG. I've been training for the past 7 months and confident I can handle 75 miles but not sure how those last 25 miles will go. The weather is forecasted to be cool and rainy so I don't expect to hydration along the route to be a problem.

Any tips on pre-ride and during ride nutrition? Frequency and type of carbs to consume? Water or sports drinks or ??? Gear to bring for wet weather? Mental exercises to keep me going?

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Sorry I missed this thread! I've been really busy the past few days with the Mount Dora Bike Festival, and barely on my computer.

How did you century go?!

3. Derwinator

Hey John,

I know that you were WAY busy getting everything ready for the Mount Dora so didn't expect to get a reply from you right away but was hoping a few folks on the forums would throw in their advice.

As for how my event went, the short answer is it didn't. Met some of my cycling club buddies at the event at 6:30am to be ready for an 8am start and by 7:45 the rain began pouring and the temps dropped from 70 to 58 degrees with gusty winds. The officials delayed the century ride and then cancelled it entirely once the rain didn't let up. We hung around another hour to see if they would let us go for the 100km but they ended up cancelling the whole event. I was very disappointed but mostly felt bad for the hundreds of volunteers who put months of work into planning and getting the event ready. Later after I got home I started feeling crummy and found out I caught a flu bug somewhere. :barf: It turns out it was for best that I didn't get to do this event!

I really enjoyed reading about your event and happy to see what a great success it was - congratulations!

4. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Ah, bummer about your event. Sounds like it was for the best, though. Hope you're feeling better!

5. Derwinator

Doing much better, thanks! Looking forward to getting back out for ride soon

6. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

I recently did my first century, and one of the takeaways for me was that I needed a lot more electrolytes than I had. They had Gatorade at the 4 rest stops (every 20 miles or so), but I don't think it was enough.

My brother and uncle were both lagging behind me during the first 3/4 of the century, and at the final rest stop around mile 80 they took some electrolyte pills--which I declined--and they ended up blowing me away in that final leg.

Purely anecdotal, but next time I'll probably accept the electrolyte pills!

7. Derwinator

Um, were these salt caps or ???

8. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

Yeah, just salt pills. I don't remember the specific name/brand, however.