1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Advanced Leg Workout

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by mastover, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Oh don't leave us hanging!!! POST IT!! :D

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Here is a variation of what I gave Big_D.

T Bar Rows - Do 3 light warmup sets then use a weight where you can get 3 sets of 10 with a 2 second pause in the contracted position. Try not to use your legs but keep things strict. This will destroy your back, traps and rhomboids. 3 total work sets

Cable rows - use two separate handles attached beside each other. It's the same as a regular low row attachment, except you can pull back an extra two - three inches further creating a much better contraction.
    4 x 12. 3 total work sets.

Dumbell pullovers  - 3 x 12 - Do these on a slight 25 degree decline bench and only bring the DB above your forehead. Don’t need much weight, make sure to get a good stretch but be careful of your rotators.. 3 total work sets.

Narrow grip chins - 3 sets to failure - work hard on arching your chest and stretching at the bottom. These will be extremely hard after all the other stuff. If you need to use one of those assisted machines, or a spotter to help, that is OK. 2 total work sets.

Dumbell shrugs - hold the dumbells for 3 seconds at the top of EVERY rep  and pull the elbows back. Keep arms straight. 2 x 12. 2 total work sets.

Rack Pulls - do 2 warmup sets, then do 2 sets of 5 reps. Pause on the pins for a couple of seconds before driving up. At the top, pull the elbows back to engage the lower lats more.

Stretch/hang - take a 45# plate and hang with wrist straps on a bar using a close reverse grip for as long as you can. Each time, try to increase the seconds. This is a completely different trauma inducing stretch that will get you as wide as a cobra.

Come back and tell us how sore you were in places you never felt before. Make sure to take a couple days off after and EAT.

3. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Wow!! Thanks! That looks like fun! In a brutal, masochistic sort of way! :lol:

I'm going to give it a shot. Back day is next week!

4. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

I'm giving this leg workout a try today Mast, I'm anxious and scared!! ;)

5. mastover

I wonder if this guy is still amongst the living.
    :scared:

6. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Ha! I am!! It was a great workout!! Next time should be better yet as some of the lifts I never have done before(or well, recently) and the weight could have probably been heavier(Lying leg curls, Smith machine squat). I had to use a leg press machine instead of the sled and free weights as someone else was using it. So a few lifts I was guessing where the weights should be...

But, by the time I got to the smith machine I was toast and cursing your name lol. Then by the time I got to the leg extensions my arse and legs were shaking so badly holding me up to squeeze the tear drop!! Man that was a burn I haven't felt in a long time! I almost can't wait to do it again Monday!! Almost... ;)

I'm going to try your back workout tomorrow! Although we don't have T bars, anything else you would suggest in place of it?? BB rows?

7. mastover

You had me worried there for a few days, LOL.

For T Bar, use a curl grip and do bent rows on the smith machine. Use straps, 2 warmup sets, then 3 hard sets of 8-12 reps. Pause in the contracted position for 2 seconds and do not involve the legs. You will probably only need a moderate weight on these, but your back, upper/lower traps, rhomboids, lats, and even the erectors, will be crushed totally.

8. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Haha, start worrying in a week or 2 when I have my weights dialed in and doing closer to my maxes on all those exercises. I know I'm worried!! It was pretty brutal and I wasn't even at my maxes yet! [​IMG]

BB rows it is! I usually do those anyway so that's good. I'll know where my weight should be at. Although, I'm a bit surprised and saddened by no DLs in there!! Love me some DLs :dreamy:

9. mastover

Yes, but you are doing the rows on the smith machine, not free weight BB rows. DL's??? Yes I have them in my routines. The back routine outlined here is just one of 16 back training routines I have, geared for the advanced lifter.

10. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Ah yes, smith machine. Good thing you reminded me or else I would have done free weight! As for DLs, I've seen your other workouts on your website and have seen them. I know you do them! Was just sad when I realised I wouldn't be doing them is all ;)

11. sauron256

sauron256 Active Member

Just did the leg workout and will happily join in with some hatred of Mastover. :D

I have never come closer to passing out at the gym as I did today during the Smith squats near the end. I hit the 9th on the second set and all of a sudden the room started spinning and my hearing went. I had to pause for a few seconds to get my bearings back before doing the last rep.

The stairs after were a killer. I'm gonna try the back workout on Thursday now! :tu:

12. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Back workout was awesome!! I walked to the gas station 2 blocks from my house afterwords on Friday night. Probably around 0 degrees with some wind chill that night and anyone who lives in the cold knows how you shrug your shoulders with your hands in your coat pockets to stay warm... Well, after about a block my back and traps were so tight and soar from being toasted it really made it painful to make that walk!! My god the burn! Felt awesome in a way! :D

Today I did the leg workout again. Added weights to all of my lifts and took no more than 1 minute between sets and 2.5 minutes between exercises. Which is something since I really wasn't feeling like going in today. But I just wanted to get in and out ASAP. As soon as I felt a little bit recovered I just hit the set so I could get out of there. My legs are toast right now!! Awesome :tu:

13. mastover

Make sure you get extra rest days in if you are doing these intensity workouts and make sure you have ample calories. I'm glad you find them painfully enjoyable, but try to alternate these workouts with your normal workout every other week, or just do this type of workout once per month. :tucool:

14. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Thanks! Will do. I'm in a caloric surplus right now so my recovery is doing pretty good. Only did an hour of LISS Saturday and Sunday off. So I was pretty good to go, just lacking mentally yesterday. I'll go back to my normal leg routine for the next two weeks. I just wanted to see if I could up my weights from last time.

You wouldn't happen to have a brutal chest routine you'd like to post would you?? ;)

15. mastover

Nope, that's all I've got. :whistle:
    ;)

16. Dizmal

Dizmal Well-Known Member

Ha! Thanks :moon:

But seriously, the leg and back routine is great. Thanks :tucool: