1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Ads

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Rise, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Rise

Rise Active Member

Hey John,

I just wanted to mention one of the ads I've been seeing a lot here lately. Let me start off by saying I have no problem with ads at all and I haven't ever been bothered by any on your site before. But there is this one ad in particular that has a guy in a purple speed-o basically with his wiener right in your face which normally (ie. at home) I still wouldn't care about but since I use this forum at work 90% of the time it's a bit awkward if someone comes over and I got a big (small) purple speed-o with a wiener trying to poke it's way out of my screen. :eek:

I'm guessing you can't really do much about it, but I wanted to mention it just in case you could... I suppose if anyone asks me about it I'll just say I never noticed and ask them why they are looking at wieners?

edit: ironically enough, it was the ad I got when I submitted the post :lol: I think I'm getting taunted by the purple wiener.

2. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Aren't the ads kinda tailored to who are and what you are looking at. All I get are fitness singles ads.

3. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Hey John,

That is funny, I was thinking the same thing.

I also was wondering if it is possible to turn off the photo's on the avatars. Photo's make it more easy to see that I am on the internet, instead of working. Maybe I should be working instead of looking at this site when I am at work, but that is another story. :lol:

4. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I can filter ads by URL, but I've not seen the particular ad you are talking about. I'd need a screenshot of the ad, and the full URL it links to before I could make a decision.

Yes, you can turn avatars (among other images) off in your User Control Panel options.

5. Nowhereman

Nowhereman Well-Known Member

Are you saying I like purple weiners?! :lol:

I've seen this ad too and I'm just glad my wife hasn't walked in while it was on the page.

6. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

Do you guys use Firefox? If so get AdBlock Plus. If not using Firefox, start, then get AdBlock. That would be my recommendation anyway. I know some are browsing from work so I'm not sure if it's possible, but the only ads I ever see are John's official sponsors so it works for me.

7. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

But he gets money from google ads as well :(

John, it was a muscle/bodybuilding videos ad of some sort if that helps narrow it down (probably doesn't). There are a couple of different versions. It's the square ad that appears near the bottom of the page in threads.

It made me laugh when I saw it this morning. It's just a body builder's thighs and posing "shorts".

8. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

9. docutech

docutech Active Member

:lol:

I saw this the other day. I do not think it would be safe for work. Although it is about muscle, some of the "muscles" may need some extra training in this case...:lol: Classic!

10. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

True, but I believe Google pays for ad space based on site traffic not # of ad clicks so I'm not sure it really matters if I have the ads blocked.

11. Mitek

Mitek Active Member

12. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Not that I expect you to alter your choice to install the ad blocker, but for clarification sake: blocking the ads on this site does matter.

Google serves two types of ads: pay per click, and pay per 1000 views. Ad blockers like the one you mentioned in your post completely cut off both of those streams of revenue for the site.

I refuse to allow any sort of "in-line" contextual ads, "auto-sound" ads, pop-ups, pop-unders or "over the page" flash ads on this site. I try to keep the ads as unobtrusive as possible, and that's something that is becoming increasingly rare these days because of the amount of money that can be generated by those annoying ads.

13. mustbesix

mustbesix Active Member

Dang. I actually feel bad now. My few clicks a day probably aren't significant, but I've gotten a lot more from this site than I could possibly give back. Luckily the ad blocker can be used on a per site basis, so I'm going to disable them for JSF to see how much the ads bother me.

14. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Does that mean to support this site, we should click on these ads once in awhile to generate money. If we do click on an advertisement, do I have to spend anytime there, or can I click, and go out and still generate revenue for you.

But I refuse to click on "purple speedo guy".:lol:

15. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I appreciate the gesture, but I would never suggest that someone click on an ad that they were not otherwise interested in.

A terrific way to show support for JSF and the JSF forums is to upgrade your membership, and you've done that. Thank you! :)

16. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Would you consider having an ad-free version of the site for certain levels of membership? That could be a really good incentive to upgrade, if it's possible.

17. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Contractually I can't allow the sponsor ads to be blocked, and those ads are what takes up the most space.

The Google ads don't take up much space and are very unobtrusive.

So there would not be much of an incentive to upgrade just to block the Google ads.

Also, keep in mind that I already do a considerable amount of back-end ad filtering for all JSF users: you know all those annoying types of ads I mentioned earlier in this thread (in-line contextual ads, "auto-sound" ads, pop-ups, pop-unders, "over the page" flash ads, etc...)? None of those types of ads even exist on this site. You sure don't see many sites these days resisting the temptation to show these very intrusive ads, and that's because they are quite profitable for the hosting site.

I feel the existing membership upgrade packages are a good value as-is (starting at just $1.25 per month/$15 per year), and they enhance the overall forum experience for those members who chose to support the site financially.

18. Butterflyer

Butterflyer Well-Known Member

I took the hit and did it for you!:D I didn't even see purple speedo guy there, but then I don't have all day to watch the videos or look through storyboards of guys posing for shows. It's USAMuscle! So many pictures!:spaz:

19. NCNBilly

NCNBilly Well-Known Member

And you get access to the double-secret forums. :D

20. Rise

Rise Active Member

I just wanted to say, I haven't seen the ad since, so thanks if you changed anything! And thanks to MannishBoy for posting the exact ad I was talking about.