1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Adding Some Weights to Extend Workouts

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by astroguy, Dec 28, 2012.

1. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

My weight lifting seems to last around 35-40 minutes, and I see a lot of people saying they spend an hour or whatever doing weights. I'm obviously not everyone else, but I'm looking at adding a bit to extend the time to closer to an hour.

Current:

Day 1: Back/Biceps
    - DB Bicep Curls
    - BB Deadlift
    - DB Concentration Curls
    - BB Bent-Over Row

Day 2: Chest/Triceps
    - BB Benchpress
    - DB Triceps Kickbacks
    - DB Hammer Curls
    - DB Incline Flys

Day 3: Legs/Shoulders
    - BB Squats
    - DB Rear Lateral Rise
    - BB Military Press
    - DB Standing Calf Raises
    - DB Lunges​

Proposed (additions bolded):

Day 1: Back/Biceps
    - DB Bicep Curls
    - BB Deadlift
    - DB Concentration Curls
    - BB Bent-Over Row
    - DB Shrugs
    - BB Reverse Curl

Day 2: Chest/Triceps
    - BB Benchpress
    - DB Triceps Kickbacks
    - DB Hammer Curls
    - DB Incline Flys
    - DB Triceps Extension
    - BB Pullover, Bent-Arm
    - DB Russian Twist

Day 3: Legs/Shoulders
    - BB Squats
    - DB Rear Lateral Rise
    - BB Military Press
    - DB Standing Calf Raises
    - DB Lunges
    - DB Upright Row
    - Weighted Front Lateral Rise

Everything is done in pairs as supersets except the three additions on day 2 and the middle 3 on day 3, which are done together as supersets. I figure the additions work out other muscles in the general target area, though day 2 turns slightly into more of a "core" day with the last two additions focusing on lats and obliques.

As I said, at this point the purpose is to extend the workouts a bit while giving the appearance of some sort of disciplined regimen. I'm not trying to target anything for growth as I'm in Year 5 Reboot 6 of my fat loss routine. Hence also why if you search you'll find the "Current" stuff is the same as what I posted, oh, 6 months ago -- not worried about changing stuff yet 'cause I stopped 4 months ago and am now back to this.

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

What's your rational for wishing to extend workouts? If you are in and out of the gym in 40 minutes, then that's ideal. Working out longer or adding in more exercises and sets doesn't equate to more progress. But you probably know this already.

3. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Think of the 5x5 workouts many use. If you're taking an hour you've got long rest breaks between sets.

4. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

IMO if you are adding exercises to try and "get your time in" at the gym, you probably aren't working hard enough when you workout. I have te exact opposite problem. I always struggle with keeping my sessions shorter than 60 minutes, and I generally only do 3 exercises for my sessions(plus a bit of warm up).

If I were you I would focus on your goal of longer workouts via moving the load up significantly as quickly as possible. I did Stronglifts 5x5, which is 3 lifts, 3 days a week when I started out. Within the first 10 weeks, my sessions started bleeding over 60 minutes because of the intensity of the work. I switched things up at that point, looking for a way to push more weight in less time.

Just my opinion, of course. As far as your suggested routines are concerned, I think they look like reasonable splits without really looking into any specifics of your goals or overall plan. Good luck.

5. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

Okay, perhaps a clarification question from me is more apropos at this point: Am I doing something wrong in terms of how long it takes me? Here's a rough breakdown of time and why I'm hitting 35-40 minutes ...

Warmup: Roughly 7 minutes of bodyweight stuff to stretch and warm most main muscles.

Setting up weights for first superset: Roughly 3 minutes. Total time at this point is 10 minutes.

First superset (8 reps, 4 sets, of 2 exercises each): Roughly 1.5-2 minutes per superset with 1.5-2 minutes rest between. Thus, the superset takes 12-16 minutes. Total time at this point is 22-26 minutes.

Setting up weights for second superset: Roughly 3 minutes. Total time at this point is 15-19 minutes.

Second superset (8 reps, 4 sets, of 2 exercises each): Roughly 1.5-2 minutes per superset with 1.5-2 minutes rest between. Thus, the superset takes 12-16 minutes.

Total time at this point, the end, is 27-35 minutes. Add some slop in as I slow down towards the end and that's how I'm consistently ending at 35-40 minutes total.

The weights are set so that I'm at failure of good form usually on the last rep of the 3rd set, and failure of good form at the last 2-3 reps of the final set. I generally can increase the weight slightly (good form throughout all) after 2-3 weeks at the same weight. I'm cutting now, so going up in weight quickly is not a priority.

6. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

In truth, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that equation. Do you?

7. Azure

Azure Active Member

Better idea would be to incorporate a better warmup that focuses more on mobility and increasing your ROM. No static stretching either. There are great programs out there that to this.

This article here as a plan listed that is about 15 min.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/stretching_doesnt_work

I've used it a few times, and it does wonders for your hip mobility.

Joe Defranco has a great program called the Agile 8 that is amazing for warmups. I use that as well, plus work on issues I know I have.

Takes about 10-15 min.

From there I do my workout, which is usually one or two lifts. Lately I only squat/deadlift because of work and hockey.

I'm finished in 30 min.

I honestly don't see the need to do curls, pushdowns, pressups or anything like that. There are supplemental lifts that can help you, but pushing it to 10-12 different lifts per workout?

I've had great success with this.