1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

adding more exercise to accelerate a cut?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by wwwolf, Jun 20, 2011.

1. wwwolf

wwwolf Member

I"m doing a version of a 5x5. It looks like this:

Workout A:
    5x5 Squat
    5x5 bench
    3xF inverted rows
    3xF pushups
    3x15 EZ curls
    3x30 sec Planks

Workout B
    5x5 Squat
    1x5 Dead
    5x5 Overhead Press
    3x15 Skull Crusher
    3xF chin up / pull up
    3x30 sec planks

I alternate these workouts every MWF.

I do 15-20 min elliptical after the exercise. I go for a 2.5 mile walk every day.

Even with elliptical these workouts only take < 1hr .

Feeling pretty good about this but my waist hasn't budged since I started. I have two weddings at the end of the summer and would like to have less of a gut.

Can I add in more exercise to speed up the cut? Cardio? Something like "The Bear?" It's summer and I'm way up north so it's light out from 5 am until 10 pm. I like this workout but feel like I have the time to be doing a lot more than I am. But I've read in the Stronglifts stuff that you shouldn't mess around with the 5x5.

2. astroguy

astroguy Well-Known Member

You should wait until someone more knowledgable responds, but based upon my understanding, you want to be careful about overdoing it on a cut. You're cutting - decreasing calories from what your body wants - and so (a) your body is already under stress and (b) it has less to work with in repairing damaged muscle. The purpose - as I understand it - of weight training while on a cut is to maintain muscle since you're really not going to gain much (and likely will lose some). I think you can add cardio and be okay, but careful about weights.

3. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

What does your diet look like?

Assuming that you're lifting heavy and not just going through the motions, there is no need to add more exercise to your routine.

4. stallion16

stallion16 Well-Known Member

what rate are you losing weight at right now? If you are losing 1-2lbs per week at your current food intake and activity level, I wouldn't recommend trying to make the process any faster as this is pretty much optimal fat loss progression. Speeding things up beyond 1-2lbs per week comes with an entire slew of possible negative side effects, including cravings, hunger, bingeing (because of hunger), decreased energy levels, loose skin, muscle and strength loss..etc.

5. e4jsff

e4jsff Active Member

I learned this lesson pretty early on. If you're already losing fat with your current routine, increasing activity while all else stays the same probably won't give you the results you're looking for. There is a fine line between your body's "it's ok to let go of the fat" and "I'm starving, don't let go of an ounce of mass!". Upsetting the balance puts you at risk for a very frustrating plateau.

If you feel like you want more exercise, I would increase your food intake as well. Try and keep the balance between what you burn and what you consume the same as what it is now. So if you've estimated your in a 500cal deficit now, try and maintain that same 500cal deficit after you've increased the amount of exercise you're doing.

Your body probably won't like being in a 1000cal deficit for very long. That being said, you can try alternating volume of exercise by the weeks. For example, exercise so this week you're at a deficit of 500cals per day, then next week increase exercise a bit so you're at a 750cal deficit, then return to 500 for the next week or two. I wouldn't maintain a huge deficit for too long as you'll begin to lose muscle.

In the end, try something, record your results and adjust. I've spent about 3 years recording every bit of exercise and every bit of food that I've eaten - I know pretty well how my body will react to differing amounts of food and exercise. I would urge you to do the same. Do it for a year or two, then you'll have a pretty good idea how your body works and you can use that info for the rest of your life.

Good luck!