1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Adding Grip Texture to Dumbbells

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by Agon, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Agon

Agon Active Member

I just picked up a used set of dumbbells this weekend off of Craigslist and they're in good shape, just need a coat of paint. I also noticed that they do not have the traditional knurling on the handles. Has anyone ever tried adding some kind of texture or grip to their dumbbells, Or have suggestions on doing it?

I was thinking of trying to find either spray on rubber coating of some type, but I'd be afraid that it might tear off relatively easily, the dumbbells I purchased range from 50 - 105lbs. The other option I thought of was to remove the paint from the handle areas and use something like JB Weld to apply some kind of textured metal or rubber handle.

2. Agon

Agon Active Member

3. George

George Senior Member

Another option may be to get something like lynx grips or fat gripz (if you want to make the grip thicker, too).

4. Agon

Agon Active Member

Hmm I'll definitely have to check those out for some grip training. Thanks for the head's up on them. I've never seen them before.

5. Super89Rex

Super89Rex Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, but maybe some sort of spray on rubberized coating would work if they make such a thing.

6. Agon

Agon Active Member

Yeah, I thought about doing a spray coating as well. But I decided against it because I'm not sure how it would hold up under pressure, might start flaking off, and I'm planning on coating the dumbbells in Rust Seal which is some kind of epoxy based coating I believe, so I'm not sure if the rubber spray coating would stick to it well.

7. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

If your looking for some sort of rubber grip and a way to prevent rust on the entire db, why not rubberize the whole thing?
    Get something like this from your local auto supply/parts store, some sand paper and some metal primer. This type of stuff is designed to be put on the bottom of your car and fend of abrasion from rocks and stuff, as long as you prep properly you shouldn't have problems with it staying on. Same goes for anything though, whether or not it stays on will mostly depend on your surface prep. Sand, wipe down with alcohol or something to remove any grease and sanding bits left, prime, paint. Auto paints are generally compatible with each other so an auto primer and auto rubberizer make a good combo.

If you have an angle grinder you could even get a wire wheel or sanding discs to make your life easier.

8. Agon

Agon Active Member

Do you think the rubber would interfere with platemates being able to properly stick to the dumbbells.

I just started putting the Rust Seal on my dumbbells this weekend. I'll have to post the process pictures once I finish. It's been quite the process so far.

9. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

Not if the magnets are strong enough. As long as they can hold it through the thickness of the rubber, its sticky surface would even help them from sliding off. To be sure just get a piece of vinyl or some material about a 1-2mm thick and put it over the end of the plate and see how they stick through that. But other then added thickness there is nothing about rubber specifically that would alter their ability to stick.

10. Agon

Agon Active Member

Just a quick update. I tried the anti-slip tape from the original link and found that it fell off overnight since it couldn't stick to the Rust Seal.

Instead I went to the local sporting goods shop and picked up some generic rubberized gauze style tennis racket grip tape. Since it sticks to itself instead of the surface it's attached to it ends up almost clamping down. Now when I use the dumbbells the grips are almost like there's some kind of tar or glue on them.

At first I expected to get some residue left over on my hands after using them they were so sticky, but I haven't had any problems so far.

I figure even if the grip breaks down quickly I'll be able to replace the grips for under $10.

11. James Metal

James Metal Active Member

I would just wear gloves if I were you and just forget about trying to make grips on the dumbbells.