1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Addiction

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Sholezard, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Sholezard

Sholezard Well-Known Member

Please someone convince me that candy is BAD so that I can stop my candy addiction. :mad: I especially love wine gums (or any gummy kind of candy for that matter) and I can't seem to stop eating them!! Please help or at least let me know you're dealing with the same kind of problem! :o

2. taffer

taffer Well-Known Member

you just gotta resist
    sometimes i wish i could crave like some, i really dont want any crap food in my diet, and i think i need a cheat meal, but never want to do it, so i only cheat on special occations (pretty rare for me!)
    like i have cooked 2 chocolate cake in the past 2 days (oh so evil) and managed to resist them, just remember you can stop your self cheating at so many points...

opening the bag
    putting your hand in
    taking your hand out (well if you put your hand in, take it out with no candy :p)
    opening your mouth
    putting the candy in your mouth
    chewing
    swallowing

so there is lots of oppertunity to stop yourself, although i wouldnt go chewing stuff and spitting it out, as that can lead to eating disorders, and is some psychological problem (if you do it time and time again)

3. Bosman

Bosman Well-Known Member

4. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

I have an addiction to all junk food. The only way I keep myself from eating it around the clock is by not buying it. This way, my junk food eating is limited to when I am out of my apartment.

5. Destiny

Destiny Well-Known Member

I agree with this method 100%. If it's in my kitchen it will call my name until I break down and devour it. If I resist buying it in the first place I can control the temptation much better. :D

6. Sholezard

Sholezard Well-Known Member

Yeah, I do the same thing, I don't keep it around in the house. But EVERYTIME I go to the grocery store, I end up picking up some wine gums from the bulk section. So even though it's not in my house, I know exactly where to get it! Anyway, I guess I have to deal with this one on my own...it is a mental thing afterall, right?!. :mad:

7. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I agree with this method too. GREAT idea (my philosophy as well).

If it ends up in the house somehow, chances are I'll eat it. :)

I take a list to the grocery store and haul butt through there and only get what's on my list.

The other day I forgot my toothpaste.

8. lostmind

lostmind Well-Known Member

I LOVE wine gums...

my fiancee buys them for me once in a while.. its so nice and so mean :)

9. Sazuki

Sazuki Well-Known Member

I once read a little book called: As a Man Thinketh - By James Allen

Three paragraphs really stuck in my mind:

Change of diet will not help a man who will not change his thoughts. When a man makes his thoughts pure, he no longer desires impure food.

and;

Clean thoughts make clean habits. He who has strengthened and purified his thoughts does not need to consider the malevolent microbe.

and last;

If you would perfect your body, guard your mind. If you would renew your body, beautify your mind.

I read it two months ago and havent eaten a cheatmeal since.

10. Makeupmonsterdog

Makeupmonsterdog Well-Known Member

Yes, I absolutely struggle with cravings and I think I may check that book out. I have gotten to the point that I know what my triggers are (all emotional) and I am learning how to react without shoving cake and chocolate down my throat. I also don't keep that stuff in the house, but junk food is so easily accessible. I know what I like and I know just where to find it!

Also, I am able to have a good period of no cravings when I don't eat sugar. Just one taste stengthens the craving for me and shuts off my reasoning. . . . .

11. ZarrSadus

ZarrSadus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the article, short read but very motivational.

12. Makeupmonsterdog

Makeupmonsterdog Well-Known Member

Yeah, what an AWESOME article. It really simplifies things!

Another thing I sometimes do when I am craving something junky is think about the homeless or those who are just living hand to mouth (leftovers from mom's guilt??). I remind myself that there are so many people out there who can't afford to eat, period, and here I am fantasizing about the chocolate cake in the window when I have a house full of good healthy food at home. It puts things into perspective and also takes my mind off of the food and reminds me of the things I can be grateful for.

13. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

I do something different. If I crave candy, I make it part of my PWO shake (not literally in the shake, just eaten with it).

Studies have shown you can eat pretty much anything immediately after working out and it will have negligble effect for weight gain. So, I sometimes go w/ fruit candy to get to my 2:1 carbs to protein ratio. I'm a fan of Dots and Mike & Ikes. Both are made with glucose. :p

It hasn't hurt me so far, and it helps to curb cravings while allowing me to enjoy them. Just don't go overboard!

14. ocram40000

ocram40000 Well-Known Member

I'm a vegetarian, and having an italian father can make that even tougher (all my olive skinned relatives luv meat, my nona tries sneaking it into my food). Frankly i think its un-neccesary violience so i don't eat meat. You just gotta reallise that ur doing sumfin thatz difficult but will make u a better person and greatly improve your self discipline

15. gettin_in_shape

gettin_in_shape Well-Known Member

well, the guy must only eat cardboard by the tone the article takes...dont get me wrong he's right, its all mental but he should be careful I assume he eats italian right? well, pasta isnt the most healthy food...does he like a cheeseburger?

16. joecan

joecan Well-Known Member

I eat very healthy, but there are times I may want a piece of candy or something like that, so I have it. This is not going to kill you. The more you think about it, the harder it will be to not eat it, but a lot of times, a small piece will help prevent overindulgence. Eating healthy doesn't mean that we can't enjoy the not so healthy items every now and than. There is nothing wrong with this.

17. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Yet another vote for the "bare cupboards" method.

If you have it in the house, at some point, you'll consume it. Keep it outta the house and you're fine.

18. Andrew M

Andrew M Well-Known Member

Never ever go shopping hungry. You come home with the biggest pile of rubbish, and then rather than waste it, you eat it.
    Shop after you eat, and plan your shopping if possible. Everything will seem less appealing if you have a full belly.

Andrew.

19. Bunko

Bunko Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thinks that this guy is crazy? Probably the most basic evolutionary program that is encoded in all of us is the enjoyment of food.

When you eat, the reward pathways in your brain are stimulated, basically you like to eat, that's why you want to eat all the time. So saying that I eat for purpose, not pleasure is about as natural as saying that I have sex to reproduce, not for pleasure. I think that reducing eating to a scheduled necessary task makes him lose out on a lot of things.

By the way, most healthy food is actually very tasty, so you can enjoy eating (most) healthy food items just as much as fastfood junk.

I for one am in the group of everything in moderation camp. To me it is about balance. Would I like to eat a whole chocolate cake? Sure but I know that after that I would feel like sh*t because of the huge sugar rush and also would feel bad about myself stuffing down that many calories. So the end result is that I do not eat the cake because the immediate enjoyment would be surpassed by the bad feeling after.

One more thing, I think it requires much more self control to take one single cookie from a full tray, eat it, like it and not take more, compared to just declining completely on the basis of that it is not a "scheduled to be eaten" food item.

20. NEdge

NEdge Well-Known Member

To some extent, I think this habbit is similar to smoking. You're not going to be able to quit unless you really want to and I mean deep down want to. Next time you buy candy, get home, look at the packet and ask yourself if you really want it. You know the effects it is going to have, if you want to eat it more than look better, eat it and don't bother feeling guilty. Just recognize that your desire to look better is not as strong as your desire to eat candy. Nothing wrong with that. The other option is to simply throw it out - in the trash!

We all have vices, in the end you have to decide what is worth ditching and how badly you want to get to your goals.

I think the article is a load of bollocks. Who cares if one person has stronger body composition goals than another? I know my goals are not that strong. I'd never even be able to look like some of the 'moderate' bodybuilders. It just isn't that important to me. I think it comes down to really being honest with yourself. Why are you still eating crap? Be honest and live with the reason or change.

#20 NEdge, Dec 7, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2004