1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Achievable Goals?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by Scott, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I would appreciate any advice on whether these goals are realistic or whether I can do more.

I'm currently at 302 after having lost 19 lbs. over 6 weeks trying to establish a comfortable diet and routine. I'm an active guy, I play rugby, jog, and now have a great workout routine that I enjoy, but I am overweight and would like to finally get rid of it.

mybodycomp.com said I had a Lean Mass of 234 lbs and a body fat percentage of 25 percent. I'm sure thats on the low side, as I'm not too good with the measuring tape yet.

As a goal, I would like to reach 200 lbs by May 29, my birthday. I would need to lose 13 lbs. a month and would obviously be just cutting.

Is this attainable? Could I get to a lower goal? Is it too much? any advice is always appreciated. Thanks for all the help and advice this community has been able to give me already. :claphigh:

2. _Christopher_

_Christopher_ Well-Known Member

13 lbs a month is a bit much. More along the lines of 8-10 would be better, or you might be losing more muscle than you want to lose, which will slow your metabolism down.

And if your LBM really is 234, there is no way you are getting to 200 lbs, cause 234 means 0% body fat.

3. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Congrads on your loss, you are on the way. Height and wrist size are better measures to estimate obtainable weights.

I have never seen a bodycomp estimate in the ball park. It sounds like yours is another example. 302 lbs and 25%, are you 6' 9" or more?

4. tashimarie

tashimarie Well-Known Member

i have to agree with this.

5. APrettyFace

APrettyFace Well-Known Member

I've never heard of this before. How do I use my wrist size and height to figure out my obtainable weight? I've always wondered what weight is realistic for my height and bone structure.

6. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Wrist size is a quick way to determine bone size. The big boned person is usually genetically pointed towards a larger weight. Height is another body size determinant.

The old insurance weight tables we wanted to throw out as we grew fat was based on frame size and height. We didn't want to believe that a small framed(boned) woman 5' 3" in bare feet should weigh 111 to 124lbs. Look at where people, here, have to bring their weights to get a flat stomach.

I don't have a set of numbers but you can estimate using the tables after you determine frame size.

Your frame size or body build is determined by the thickness of the bones in your elbows, knees, ankles, and wrists. The Metropolitan Life Insurance Company offers this method of determining your body frame size: Extend your arm and bend your forearm upward at a 90 degree angle. With your fingers straight, turn the inside of your wrist toward your body. Place your thumb and index finger of the other hand on the two prominent bones of the elbow. Measure the space between the fingers against a ruler or a tape measure. Compare your measurement with the figures in the table below. Elbow measurements less than those given indicate a small frame; greater measurements indicate a large frame.

Women

Height in 1" Heels Elbow Breadth for Medium Frame
    4'10" to 5'3" = 2 1/4" to 2 1/2"
    5'4" to 6'0" = 2 3/8" to 2 5/8"

Men

Height in 1" Heels Elbow Breadth for Medium Frame
    5'2" to 5'7" = 2 1/2" to 2 7/8"
    5'8" to 6'3" = 2 3/4" to 3 1/8"
    6'4" and above = 2 7/8" to 3 1/4"

Or you can use wrist size:

SMALL FRAME:

Women:
    • Height is less 5' 2" and your wrist size is less than 5.5"
    • Height is 5' 2" to 5' 5" and your wrist size is less than 6"
    • Height is greater than 5' 5" and your wrist size is less than 6.25"

Men:
    • Height is greater than 5' 5" and your wrist size 5.5" to 6.5"

MEDIUM FRAME:

Women:
    • Height is less 5' 2" and your wrist size is 5.5" to 5.75"
    • Height is 5' 2" to 5' 5" and your wrist size is 6" to 6.25"
    • Height is greater than 5' 5" and your wrist size is 6.25" to 6.5"

Men:
    • Height is greater than 5' 5" and your wrist size is 6.5" to 7.5"

LARGE FRAME:

Women:
    • Height is less 5' 2" and your wrist size is greater than 5.75"
    • Height is 5' 2" to 5' 5" and your wrist size is greater than 6.25"
    • Height is greater than 5' 5" and your wrist size is greater than 6.5"

Men:
    • Height is greater than 5' 5" and your wrist size is greater than 7.5"

7. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

It's doable, but it's a bit extreme. Since you're large you can lose more weight in a given period than somebody who weighs 140 lbs, but I wouldn't get hung up on an end date. As long as you're making progress, you're on track.

Unless you have a ton of muscle (I mean a LOT) or you're very tall, that mybodycomp number is almost certainly nonsense. Don't spend too much time getting caught up on the numbers. As long as progress is steady and you're getting towards your goal, keep going at it, regardless of what the scale or a BF% calculator says.

8. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

I'm 6'3" and by just a gutshot feeling I'd definitly say I'm more than 25% body fat. thanks for the tip.

9. jRS

jRS Well-Known Member

RTESTES - are you sure this is reliable?

If it is, Im extremely happy to know that Im not underweight or near being underweight. Had some problems in school with BMI.

10. French Spirit

French Spirit Well-Known Member

rtestes: Do I have a medium frame or a large frame? Wrist size = 6.75, height = 5'4"

make that wrist size = 6.5

#10 French Spirit, Sep 3, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  11. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Reliable?? The correlations between bone size, height and weight are certainly present. Is the ranges shown by the extensive studies by the insurance tables accurate? I think so for about 87% of population.

It might not be accurate for Arnold at his peak or Cory at her peak but there aren't many of them.

Most of us can get an idea of a possible healthy range of weight. I have a belief that while these are good ranges, only building muscles will allow you to go higher. Going below the ranges shouldn't be exceeded by 10%. If your lower weight from table is say 150, you shouldn't go below 135.

BTW: I don't consider you underweight.

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/primry/life15.htm

12. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Use the elbow measure method. I don't know why they didn't mention below 5' 5". You could try a simple test, if you are right handed extend left arm. with your right hand, wrap your middle finger and thumb around your extended wrist. If they overlap you are small boned. If they touch you have medium frame. If they don't meet, you are large boned.

All are estimates, we can look in mirror and use common sense, too.

13. French Spirit

They don't touch. I guess I am large boned.

14. French Spirit

By the way, to the OP, I too tried the "make my birthday my goal" trick. It didn't work, and it made me feel kind of bad on my birthday.

15. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

Hmm, I do like goals, so I'll aim for something, but thats a good point. Maybe my goal should be to "lose weight" :D

As a question, how would I know when I lost "enough" weight? By using the standard weight charts? I know what I would like to be at and what body fat percentage I'd like to be at, but when would be a good time to stop cutting and start introducing a bulking phase?

16. French Spirit

That's up to you. What do you want to look like? Once you're satisfied with the amount of fat on your body, you've lost "enough" weight.

This is why losing weight is such an empowering transformation. You get to design your body, although it takes a hell of a lot of hard work to get where you want it.

17. turing

turing Well-Known Member

Goals are definately a good thing. Your long term goal should probably be defined by a bf% or by a mirror rather than a weight defined by that you pick at this stage of your transformation. If you lift heavily and put on a lot of muscle, maybe 200 will seem too low, or be quite difficult to reach.

I'd set some preliminary goals -- maybe pick a target of 8-10 pounds per month for the first couple of months, and see how that goes. Then you can adjust the final goal as you get a better picture of how far you want to go, and what is achievable for you.

Have fun!

18. Function

Function Well-Known Member

GO FOR IT MAN! Lose that weight, I know you can do it. I am not just saying this to encourage you, I KNOW you can do it. Anyone can. Take control over your actions like you never have before and change your life! Realize that you are in control of yourself, that you can physically shape who you want to be. Keep focused on your vision & goal and don't let go. Taking control of your mind, and mentally changing yourself is just as important as the phyiscal change.

Be honest. Look at yourself in the mirror, and imagine how you want to look. Then do everything in your power to get there. If that means perpetual education, then perpetually educate yourself. If that means you are going to get flamed by your buddies for going on a "diet", than so be it. Don't let a single thing get in your way.

I've seen people in your position transform themselves in small periods of time, and I'm sure you can too.

Dedication, education, mental focus. You will find that physical fitness is the most addicting feeling you could ever posess. Attain it!

As far as specific things that you could do, I would reccomend focusing more on body fat, rather than weight. Make sure that your workout routine is as effective as possible. I would reccommend not jogging, but walking at 65% MHR early in the morning. If you go above the 65% MHR range, you are going to end up burning glucose. If you deplete glucose, you could end up burning muscle. You definitely don't want that.

I would also reccommend weight training. The more you lift, and the more muscle you aquire, the faster your metabolism will be and the more fat you will end up burning while idle.

Anyway man, GOOD LUCK! (You won't need it)

19. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the great words of encouragement. I'll be glad to post updates in six weeks time to show the progress.