1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

abs diet / body for life

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by stosh, Oct 27, 2005.

1. stosh

stosh Well-Known Member

Abs diet / body for life. What are your views on these to books and there method of weight loss?

2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Abs diet? Never heard of it.

BFL? Great beginner's program. A solid, non-precise way to lose weight. I have my issues with it, but they're nothing that anyone who commits themselves to a healthy lifestyle won't discover and alter for themselves at a later date.

-R

3. SteveO

SteveO Well-Known Member

4. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

I've never done Body For Life, but I know it works. I've seen so many people transform themselves using it. Highly recommended.

Abs Diet I know nothing about.

5. stosh

stosh Well-Known Member

abs diet is from men's fitness mag.

6. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Is there an online link?

I have a strong feeling the BFL will be superior.

7. gaprimm

gaprimm Well-Known Member

Here it is: http://www.absdiet.com/uof/absdiet/?source=rodale

I haven't read the book, just skimmed it in the bookstore. Stripped down, it's basically the same as BFL -- eat 6 small balanced meals per day, cardio, and weightlifting. However, it's packaged in typical Men's Health form. Here is a quote from the website:

"Within 2 weeks, you'll lose up to 12 pounds of fat—from your belly first! From there, you'll convert fat to muscle with a sensible exercise (30 minutes three times a week) and eating (six meals a day!) plan that will give you your best physique and keep you at optimal health for life."

As I've seen discussed here before, you can't spot reduce fat specifically from your belly, and I don't think you can actually CONVERT fat to muscle.

My wife and I started with BFL and saw good results. My advice is to go with BFL: less fluff.

8. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I've heard of the abs diet before, and it sounded pretty good to me at the time. They appear to be doing a good job of keeping it a secret though, because I can't seem to find any information on it any more.

(Or maybe it's the DASH diet I'm thinking of. :confused: )

I'm suspicious of diets that make promises:
    The Abs Diet is guaranteed to give you a flat stomach and great physique in just 6 weeks—and keep you lean and healthy for the rest of your life!

I really like the superfoods diet that's in my signature. It focuses on foods you SHOULD be eating, instead of foods you shouldn't be.

9. stosh

stosh Well-Known Member

sorry the abs diet is form Mens Health not mens Fitness.

10. mapsgl

mapsgl Well-Known Member

I have read both books. BFL is good for someone starting out. The motivation, program etc.

Abs diet really focuses more on the nutrition side and has some basic workout stuff.

I thnik you can find better stuff here and via google.

Almost anything you COMMIT to that invovles strength training, Cadrio, Quality Calories in good Marcos will work.

It depends on your starting point goals and dedication

You can sign up for a daily e-mail re: The Abs diet from the men'shealth site and there is also a message board where Men and Women discuss it http://forums.menshealth.com/eve/ubb.x/a/cfrm/f/555109121?source=rodale

There are lots of BFL resources out there as well.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

11. Fluogen

Fluogen Well-Known Member

I've been following the Abs Diet meal plan for a couple of weeks with success. It would have been better but I've been cheating way too much (too many bad excuses to list). I just finished outlining this week's meals and am committed to sticking to it exactly as I've laid it out. I expect great results this week.

I don't follow the exercise part mostly because I don't like circuit training. I've been following the Max-OT plan for quite a while with success so I'm sticking to that. I also do cardio 3 days a week (walking and biking for now) and a core workout 2-3 days per week.

The diet is good and the food is great. I'm never hungry and some of the recipes he gives in the book are fantastic. The Breakfast Bacon Burger (recipe below) in particular is a favorite, along with the shakes.

Breakfast Bacon Burger

(number of Powerfoods: 4)

What you need:

1 Thomas' Honey Wheat English Muffin

1/2 teaspoon trans fat-free margarine

1 egg

1 slice low-fat American cheese

1 slice Canadian bacon

Vegetables of choice

How to prepare:

1. Split the muffin, toast it, and add margarine.

2. Break the egg in a microwavable dish, prick the yolk with a toothpick, and cover the dish with plastic wrap.

3. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Let stand for 30 seconds. Add cheese, egg, and Canadian bacon to the muffin, then nuke for 20 seconds.

4. Add vegetables to taste.

Makes 1 serving.

Calories per serving: 300; Protein: 22 g; Carbs: 28 g; Fat: 11 g; Saturated fat: 3.5 g; Sodium: 868 mg; Fiber: 3 g

12. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

Yeah, blanket statements like that are ridiculous. They don't know where people are starting out. It might take someonw from a given starting point, metabolism, and dedication 3 weeks. And it might take another 12. That said, the weight program in ABS diet is solid but not great. And the meal plan is very healthy. A lot like superfoods, it is not so much about restriction but focusign on foods you should be eating for good health and body compostion. acronym is Abs Diet Power:

Almonds and other nuts
    Beans and other legumes
    Spinach and other green veggies

Dairy (fat free or low fat)
    Instant unsweetened oatmeal
    Eggs
    Turkey and other lean meat

Peanut butter
    Olive oil
    Whole-grain bread and cereal
    Extra protein from whey powder
    Raspberries and other berries

I think overall, it's a good program for beginners.

13. dodus

dodus Well-Known Member

When I first started cleaning up my nutrition, it was based off of what I'd read about the ABS diet. Saw great results. It's pretty simple really--just 12 clean foods you can base a complete diet around, and why they're good. By no means is it inclusive of all the good foods, and there's nothing about nutrient timing. But I can hardly see how anyone could go wrong with a diet structured around those foods.

14. bklyns ant

bklyns ant Well-Known Member

i weigh 153 pounds, and im 5'9. i burn 2400 calories a day. how many calories should i eat a day, and how much should i exercise??