1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Abs before Cardio or Cardio before Abs?

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Oranzith, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Oranzith

Oranzith Well-Known Member

On days I do cardio I do abs also. But i never know which to do first. Logically, I think i'd like to do abs first (stronger work out) but then if i do cardio after, I feel i'll lose some gains in abs. But if i do abs 2nd, then they can have proper rest following.

Any insights? Thanks

Also, in terms of nutrition, i will have eaten after ive done cardio so i could do abs with some energy. if i do abs first it would be on an empty stomach

2. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

The majority of the public does abs after cardio. Yes, there is logic to doing abs first (as with working any other muscle group) and some of the feature articles in the muscle mags advocate it. I've tried both over periods of time and prefer doing it after. I have back issues and doing it after cardio, I feel more loose and limber and it just feels better. I also get through more than when done before- odd maybe but works for me.

3. Boxer-in-training

Boxer-in-training Well-Known Member

I usually do abs after cardio, when I am nice and warmed up. Or I might work them into my rest sets when I am doing weights. Like I will get done doing a shoulder exercise and go straight to an ab exercise. Circuit fashion, to keep my heart rate up. I usually do abs on Monday with my shoulders, and calves, and super set them. And i do them on Wednesday with my lower body. Then I may do them on Friday or on Saturday after the kickboxing class.

4. d!abolic

d!abolic Well-Known Member

I've tried it both ways. I do HIIT, so there is no way i can do abs after cardio. The whole point of HIIT is to run yourself to near-death :D So nothing's left for the end. I do them before.

5. supirman

supirman Well-Known Member

Abs are like any other muscle and should be worked during a regular workout, not during (meaning right before or after) a cardio session. You still need the carbs to replenish them.

6. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Good point.

7. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Supirman is correct. Ideally you should be treating your abs like any other bodypart (chest, biceps, etc.). Do them at least 8 hours apart from cardio if possible.

With that said I've seen results doing abs after cardio before, but they were not near as good as the results I've seen when doing abs with another bodypart, on non-cardio days.

8. ucbgsr

ucbgsr Well-Known Member

Yup...its really not that hard to do a full ab workout in a short amount of time. I work them in on back days.

If you think that is overkill , its probably best to do them along with your lower back and have that be a core day

9. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Abs after cardio is fine. Do them immediately after the cardio and eat AFTER the ab workout.

Abs do not need to be treated like every other muscle. If being trained without weights, they can be done nearly everyday with no problem.

10. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Why would weights make any different? You don't mean that if you don't use weight in an exercise, it doesn't count as much, do you? :confused:

11. karatetricker

Pushups daily are fine.

Bench press daily is not.

Perhaps it's just a poor belief on our parts that we can't work out with weights daily when we really can, who knows. But as far as I am concerned, bodyweight exercises CAN be done daily. If you're in disbelief, go ask a gymnast, wrestler, martial artist, etc (usually athletes in some of the best shape as well) how often they do bodyweight exercises. Considering I do, or have done all of the above, I can answer for you. It's daily.

12. supirman

There would be no benefit to doing abs every day, so why bother?

13. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

I am glad you did answer. I have never known a gymnast, wrestler, martial artist, no kidding.
    I am sure our bodies can try to adapt to anything. I agree bench presses can be more intense then pushups, and it wouldn't make that much difference. But, I still say stick it with the weight routine.

14. RM. Andersson

RM. Andersson Well-Known Member

It depends on what your goal is. To say that you get no benefit if you train your abs every day is wrong. I trained kick/thai boxing a few years ago(in the 90:es and 80:es). And I did lots of traning with my body as a weight. I sometimes did 500-1000 sit ups and other abs training in one day. And almost every day. And also other training using the body as a weight.

Such training makes little sense if you are doing body building. Because you will not build big muscles that look good fast if you train like that. But you are traning to get a different kind of strength. A strenght based on endurance, speed and flexibility. You will not be able to bench 350 LBS and your muscles will not look like you could do that. But thats not the goal if you are traning like that.

Regards!

15. supirman

Yea... and this is a weight loss/fitness board, not kickboxing. Hence I find all the talk of doing a million situps every day to bepointless.

For those who are simply fitness oriented(as most here are), do absonce per week. Stick them in with a back or chest workout. Do 4 sets of 20 and you're done. It's simple.

16. bisous

bisous Well-Known Member

I've read about this issue somewhere - maybe on naturalphysiques.com? - abs and pushups (and, I suppose, other body weight exercises, or jumps, etc.) can be thought of as endurance excercises and done like cardio - for a cardio-like benefit of endurance in the muscles. In martial arts we used to do them every day, and do a zillion punches and kicks every day, too. After a while it didn't feel as if you needed recovery. I mean, cardio uses and strengthens the muscles of the legs endurance-wise, for example - and recovery for more time is less of an issue.

My point was a bit obscure - abs every day has a different goal than abs with weights along with your weight training program.

17. wh0rume

wh0rume Senior Member

you may have a point there. i remember when i was in tie-quon-dough :) we did that every night.

but i think 99-100% of the people here work their abs for the goal of developing them visually - not endurancewise - so do whatever supirman says. (not jockn him, just agreeing with him)

18. 1FastGTX

1FastGTX Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I want to look like a bodybuilder, not a martial artist! :cool:

19. bisous

bisous Well-Known Member

20. karatetricker

Come on man, let's be serious here. How are a gymnast or MAs abs any different than anyone else's? They're not. Just as this isn't a "kickboxing" board, it's not a "bodybuilding" board either. Let's remember that. Techniques from ALL sports can be applied to almost anyone's routine for WEIGHT LOSS/FITNESS. I think you need to be a little more open-minded sometimes.

You do as you please, but don't tell people they can't work abs more than once a week because you don't. I'm not saying you have to work them almost daily, I'm just saying if someone were to choose to, there's nothing wrong with it.

I am no fitness god, believe me, but having done abs nearly every day for several years formed me a 6-pack I have yet to lose, no matter how much bodyfat I have. (Usually never above 14%, still high to have abs showing like I do)