1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Abs before 30!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by TonyG, Apr 6, 2006.

1. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

I've started this journal while things are going well, and with some luck it will help me through the harder times to come. I'm 30 in the end of August, and the present I have promised myself is to lose the gut.
    After coming home from my honeymoon, and seeing pictures from the beach, I realised something had to be done, but spent another two months in denial, thinking that pizza would make me happy. I weighed in at 249, at 6'2". I've always been a big guy, but this was too much for me to tolerate.
    In the last month and a bit I have dropped 19llbs, through clean eating and returning to the gym. I have walked this path many times before, and on a couple of occasions have got down to about 214 llbs. I know I can get there, but this time I want to get there in better composition, and keep going, then maintain at under 200.
    I have no real excuses, as I have spent lots of my life researching health and fitness, and even instructed in gyms for a couple of years, but you know what they say, those who can do, those who can't teach. So, I formed my plan, starting with cutting the pizza, chocolate and take out.
    I began with 4 visits a week to the gym for the first 2 weeks. Doing 30 mins cardio, and 3x12 medium weights for a variety of body parts, just to get things moving again. Shock to the system, but after 2 weeks I was ready to be a little more focused in my approach.
    I'm on my second week of my new plan.

M - Back + Triceps + 30 mins Cardio 75-85% MHR
    T - Cardio 45 mins 75% MHR
    W - Chest + Shoulders + Biceps + 30 mins Cardio 75-85% MHR
    Th - Cardio 45 mins 75% MHR
    F - Legs + Abs + 30 mins Cardio 75-85% MHR
    S - Rest
    Su- 45 mins 75% MHR

Weight loss has slowed now, I'm sure the first 10llbs was water loss with the amount of sodium that I cut out.
    My diet is very clean now, usually 40 40 20, with multi vit supp.
    I aim to eat around 2200 a day, constant grazing through the day. I don't take any protein supp or anything else at the moment, there is so much I can do with diet alone at this point.
    It feels good to contribute, knowing I will also gain from this. I have been a lurker for a couple of months now, and I must say you are a friendly bunch. Its rare to find forums where people encourage and help, previous exp of the net has always dissapointed me with how people treat each other when anomynous. Well done to you all for creating an amazing online community, and of course, well done to John (Inspiration in a bottle).
    I will try to post as often as poss, a min of 4 times a week, photos up soon, then monthly pics.:o

#1 TonyG, Apr 6, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  2. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Great goal, TonyG! :tucool: 30's a landmark year and doing this for yourself will send you into your fourth decade with huge confidence and happiness. I look forward to the celebration of your accomplishment. :gl:

M@

3. MarkY

MarkY Active Member

You're 6'2" weigh 230 and are only eating 2200 calories? Plus working out? Sounds like you're starving yourself. Your metabolism is going to slow way down.

I'm 5'7", weigh 155 and eat 2500 calories on maintenence.

4. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

I agree that I could take in some more calories, I find it pretty tough to consume more clean calories however. That is why I am eating as often as possible, I couldn't cope with the volume of food otherwise.
    My BMR is around 2200, and when I workout I burn around 5-700 cals.
    I am very sedentary in my time away from the gym, so I think it will take me a while to find the right balance to maintain healthy fat loss.
    Its a funny thought, me starving myself, but I do take your point...

5. badgolfer

badgolfer Well-Known Member

Your bmr is 2200 but you have to multiply that by an activity multiplier to get your lifestyle calories. If you are sedentary than the multiplier is 1.2 so I get 2640 assuming you calculated your BMR correctly. One pound of weight loss a week makes for 2140 calories a day. On the six days you workout you should eat those additional 500-700 calories so you are on target for nonworkout days but probably 500 calories short on days you workout. Hope that helps. When you feel progress has stalled the first thing I would try is increasing calories. Of course these are just guidelines and you may need more or less but they make for a great starting point. Good luck Tony.

6. oohchild

oohchild Well-Known Member

Maybe it would be good to measure your bf% as well, in general ripped abs is <10%. Also don't neglect your shoulder exercises too. :gl:

7. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

Oh well, here goes...
    BF% unknown. Mybodycomp gives figure of 25%, I think its more like 30 personally.:o

Attached Files:

8. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

Thanks for your support M@!
    I haven't told many people about my plans, because in the past I've found support from friends and familly to be given out only when it suits them. They also can't resist negative comments, and trying their hardest to tempt you away.
    Yesterdays w/out was good, did my alloted cardio. I get so bored on machines, I usually do at least 3 different machines to break up the boredom. Yesterday was elliptical, treadmill, stepper and rowing. My rowing times are really improving, but still not close to where they once were. I did 2000m in 3.50, it was 4.20 4 weeks ago.
    Running is getting easier, I can hold 7mph without too much drama now, which means I am much happier to jump on the treadmill than I was last month.
    Still enjoying the food. Tiger prawns last night, with a stack of veggies, its amazing how your taste buds change. Food which would have been bland to me seems to be taking on more flavour, maybe I can just taste it better now that I'm not overloading my tastebuds with sugar and salt.
    Not looking forward to legs today. I know I need to do them, even though they are prob my best bodypart. They carry little fat and have plenty of mass, but gotta work those big muscles:bb:
    I think I'll try some different fish tonight, we struggle for variety here in the UK, and it costs a fortune if we want anything slightly unusual, but its still cheaper than takeout!

9. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

Fridays leg workout went well. I seemed to have more focus than before, and lifted heavier on all sets. The DOMS wasn't too delayed though. I'm glad my rest day followed legs, there is no way I could have done any cardio on Sat!
    I could still feel the workout in my legs today, so limited cardio to 30 mins, and they are feeling much better this evening.
    Diet has gone fairly well, its always a bit trickier at the weekend, there seems to be more temptations at home, and less routine. I've stuck with it though, and am glad its Monday tomorrow, at least I can rely on my routine.
    The good news is I'm at 228 for 2 days running now, thats the first drop in just iver a week, so I'm delighted. 2llb a week will do me just fine :)
    Its back and tri's tommorow. Possibly my favourite, and my legs will glad of the rest too.

10. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

My legs are back to normal today.
    Back workout flew by in about 35mins, I need to think about adding a couple more exercises I think. My grip seems to let me down before my back muscles though.
    Its been another good day as far as diet is concerned too, I just hope I can keep this discipline up til Sunday. Its lunch with family on Sunday, although I don't plan to eat too much I know my choices will be limited. I think I will switch cardio and rest around on Sat Sun, so I have the cardio "in the bank".
    228llbs again today :)

11. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

I got some new scales last night, because the set I was using were cheap and depending how I held my face could change up to 7llbs. I'm pleased with the new scales, except... they weigh me 5llb more than the old ones :(
    I'm going to stick with the new weight, as they do seem more accurate in their consistency. They also have my bf at 25, which matches mybodycomp.com so it will be useful to track overall progress.
    Its tough on the mind that I've got to lose that 5llb all over again, but it sets a mini goal for me. I want that 5llb gone by the end of the month.
    Cardio day today, woo hoo:claphigh:

12. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

That amazing feeling of a great workout, nothing beats it!:claphigh: Cardio went fantastic, 40 mins striaght on the treadmill, and I was pushing 80-85% mhr for the duration. Now that has got to melt some fat, surely!
    Chest shoulders and bi's today.
    The scales are still giving me 233, I think I'm over the mental issues of changing scales and gaining 5llb, they are just numbers. I'm taking more pics tommorow, 1 week since my 1st post, should I post weekly or monthly?
    I'm full of the joys of spring today!:tucool:

13. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

Just finished my chest/ shoulders/ bi's.
    Added in an exercise on Smith machine, flat bench. Warm up set and 3x8 50kg. I'm progressing to completely free benching in a few more weeks. I started with just machine chest press, I have no spotter, and I've seen too many accidents to become a statistic, which reminds me...
    My goals, related to gym and diet in order of importance.

1 Remain Injury Free
    2 Feel better in my health
    3 Eat Clean 95% of meals as a minimum.
    4 Feel good about the way I look:cool:
    5 Get stronger:bb:
    6 Some abs please (a two pack will do!):lol:

I've also made another change, after much research and contemplating, I hope it doesn't halt progress..
    I've reduced my cardio on lifting days, starting today. I did 10 mins interval training on treadmill. I will still do my cardio on non lifting days as normal. My rationale: I was not eating for too long after my lifting, and felt I wasn't giving the cardio all I could. I think it would serve me better to refuel and kick the arse out of the cardio on non lifting days.
    As always, any comments or feedback are welcome.

14. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

Well i think I've made it through the Easter holiday without too much damage. My gym was closed today, so no workout, but I did go for a nice walk this evening (better than nothing). I had great Cardio on Thursday and Saturday, but no lifting on Friday, we took most of the day landscaping the front garden.
    I've had some chocolate, and some food I wish I hadn't, but I had planned for this. I feel awful now, wishing I hadn't, but its done, and all I can do now is get right back on track!
    I will go for a run in the morning!!!!!!!
    I will eat clean tommorow!!!!!!!
    Weighed in at 231 yesterday, thats 2llb down in a week, won't hold my breath for any more losses this week after the chocolate though:(

15. Jakemeister

Jakemeister Active Member

Good luck Tony I am sure you will reach your goal

16. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

Thanks Jakemeister!

I went running :) outside:tu: and was faster than I can ever remember :tucool:
    Because I was out all day, and it was a public holiday I knew I wouldn't make it to the gym. In a previous life it would have been the perfect excuse to relapse and eat. I woke up early, put my trainers on and ran outside. I was feeling bad for the first half mile, and then suddenly it felt like I wasn't running in my body. My legs were pumping out a cadence much higher than I am used to, and my lungs were sucking in air like a dyson, woo hoo. I took a whole 5 minutes off my 3 mile time compared to last October, when I was dong a half hearted attempt at getting fit. I am seriously pleased with this.
    It was all I needed to ensure I prepared food to take to the motor racing, rather than hoping I would find something to eat there. I am so glad I did. I actually went out for a day on a public holiday, didn't cheat and worked out. The only negative, forgot my water. I had 3 coffees instead, I can live with that.
    The scales have been up and down for the last few days. I know its due to the choc and general lack of routine from the holiday weekend, it looks like I'm holding a couple of llbs of water still. I'll post a weight on Thurs, when I take my pics. Last set of pics showed a slight improvement, I won't post them yet, I plan to post them all monthly.
    Clothes are fitting much better now, its amazing how much better it makes you feel. Why did I let myself go in the first place? It fascinates me, the choices we are capable of when we take our eye off the ball....

17. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

I feel like I'm back on track now, thank God. I had my back workout today, because I couldn't get to the gym yesterday. It went well, a few increases in weights along the way.
    I did cardio straight after, I felt full of energy and really wanted to blast the weekend cheats out of the way. I limited my cardio to 30 mins, but I really gave it some for the whole 30 mins. I did 15 min treadmill and 15 min rowing, right at my anaerobic threshold, I was puffing when I finished.
    Its easier to eat clean now that people are back at work, routine is always my saviour.

18. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

The scales have been up a bit for the past few days, after the cheats from the weekend. I so wish I hadn't done it. I know that I haven't gained any fat, but the numbers can really get inside your head. I'm at 232 today. I've lost 22llb since starting in the beginning of March, so I should not be so hard on myself.
    The change of scales has had a lasting effect mentally, as that 5llb gain makes a huge difference. I'll have to trow the old scales away, they just torment me when I see them, knowing they will give me figure of 226/7.
    Chest and shoulders today, bring it on.:tu:

19. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

The scales have been up a bit for the past few days, after the cheats from the weekend. I so wish I hadn't done it. I know that I haven't gained any fat, but the numbers can really get inside your head. I'm at 232 today. I've lost 22llb since starting in the beginning of March, so I should not be so hard on myself.
    The change of scales has had a lasting effect mentally, as that 5llb gain makes a huge difference. I'll have to trow the old scales away, they just torment me when I see them, knowing they will give me figure of 226/7.
    Chest and shoulders today, bring it on.:tu:

20. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

Weighed in at 231.5 today, its heading in the right direction :nod:
    I know I am doing things the right way, and as always the right way seems at times to be the hardest path to follow. I'm seriously considering only weighing once a week, on pics day. In the past I have shifted weight much quicker, but I know where that got me.
    I am feeling so much better, my fitness is improving no end, and I think my body shape is changing too, pics tonight will prove/disprove that though. I think I'll post them tomorrow, it being 2 weeks since my first post.
    Yesterday was good, solid chest and shoulders w/out. I went out for a run with my better half in the evening. I knew she would catch the bug if I stuck with things long enough. It is so much better if both of us can be on board, so evening runs will be regular for both of us together, its quality time for us to do something together.
    Two years ago we trained together to do a half marathon, and we both completed, eventually ( about 2.40hrs). The training was the best part, every evening we were out running together, talking all the way and sharing our day. I have very happy memories of that summer. My fitness is coming along nicely, and my wife's will improve quickly with a couple of weeks running.
    The agreement is, she will come running mon to fri, and I will landscape the rear garden, that seemed to motivate her :lol: .
    So, more cardio today, evening runs are on top of normal routine, and I get to increase calories... Woohoooo:drool: