1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

abs at what %

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by bwhall, Mar 21, 2007.

1. bwhall

bwhall Well-Known Member

Hello everyone :D .
    My wife and I enjoy all the great advice and info. the forum has to offer. My wife is at about 15% BF right now. She is wondering at what % she should be able to see her abs full blown? She is very happy with her progress and just wants to have an idea about how much further she has to go. We can see the top outline and side outline down about half way very well. We know that males show at about 10%, but do not know for woman?
    Thanks,
    BW:read:

2. H177

H177 Active Member

i dont know when she will be able to see them full blown... however it is very sugestable that she doesnt go below 13%... 13% is unhealthy in is self, but anything lower than that could have lasting implications. This is just my 2 cents, im sure somebody else on here could give you a more helpful answer. :nod:

3. bwhall

bwhall Well-Known Member

What are the health effects of going below 12% body Fat?:read: I can't find anything on the web more than loss of menstrual cycle but I will keep looking. I do see that it is not recomended to go below 12% and we plan not to.

4. bwhall

bwhall Well-Known Member

I just found this article

http://www.tanita.com/MessageForWomen.shtml

:tu:

Here is a question? If bone density loss is the only other health complication from being low body fat, couldn't a woman just supplement to take care of that?:bb: :eat: + vitamins

5. bwhall

bwhall Well-Known Member

I just found this?

http://www.bodyfatguide.com/Amenorrhea.htm

What does everyone think?

We are both working our own individualized plans.
    Health is our #1 goal and another high goal is to like what we see the mirror

6. PAF

PAF Well-Known Member

A high negative energy balance is associated with amenorrhea, not low body fat in of itself. In acheiving 15% body fat, had your wife missed a period? Amenorrhea is usually only defined when you've missed your period for a few months consecutively. But you can get irrugular periods, there's another term for that which I forget, but it's basically a sign that you're overdoing it.

The corollary of this is what everyone says. You know the generic don't lose more than 2lbs a week..etc? Something like that, but obviously if your wife is small the optimal amount may be less than 2lbs.

7. bwhall

bwhall Well-Known Member

No she has not missed any periods. She is at 14% fat so not a problem. She is working toward a body that she would like to see for the summer and did not know what the problems were associated with low body fat % in women? Our main goal is health of course, but she also wants that optimal body look too. Thanks for the info.:tu:

8. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Depends not only on bf% but where on the body the fat is stored.
    My upper body is pretty lean, when I flex my tricep ("side tricep"), you can see stirations in my delts, but the legs for example still have to lean out.

I would guess I'm at 14% bf and you can see my abs, 4 pack I do have (4 upper ones and obliques, also I have this verticle line between them and the V on my lower stomach)... the lower abs still have to come out. They are usually the last.

Do you have any pictures?
    Here are some of my pictures, not the best ones, but ih well.
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=33627&page=5
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=33627&page=6

9. bwhall

bwhall Well-Known Member

Thanks Maya. No pics, but can start to see the outline around the mid to upper abs really well. Arms and legs are starting to show good definition. Her lower abs are the trouble spot and upper thigh.

10. keldink

keldink Active Member

Hey guys this is bw's wife! Most of my fat is stored in the lower abs and around the thighs. I'm not sure what is going on with my body as far as menstration because I'm irregular anyway. Some months can be 18 days apart and others 30. My GYN said I was fine so I'm not too concerned. I don't have any current pics to share, maybe Sunday of this week. Thanks for any advice you all have!
    Keldink

11. guava

guava Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

The average woman's body fat percentage is 22%. In most of the fitness journals I've browsed, women usually start to see their abs at about 18% body fat. If you're still not seeing abs at 15% body fat, it's possible that there's a measurement error somewhere.

12. keldink

keldink Active Member

We can see some abs but the definition is not there. I have more of a 2 pack and some side definition. The fat% calculator my husband uses says I'm anywhere from 19-14%. The majority number is around 14-15%. I'm not sure how acurate everything is; caliper and calculator. I'll measure again on Sunday.

13. keldink

keldink Active Member

Sorry it took me so long to post these pics, but last weeks pictures had the date stamp right over my abs.:doh: My measurements were almost identical to last weeks and so was my bf%. The calculator said I was anywhere between 12.33 and 21.48. I'm guessing that I'm 16-17% based on the pics. What do you all think? :confused:
    Here are my measurements as of this morning: right thigh 21", left thigh 20 1/2", hips 34 1/2", biggest abdomen 29 1/4", waist 25" and bicep flexed 11 1/8". My weight was up .5 lbs to 117.5. Since I've hit a plateau I'll be starting some carb cycling tomorrow.:cry:

#13 keldink, Apr 8, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  14. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

I'm finding that I have to cut very very low to see a full six pack. Especially on the picture. In real life my abs look very good (especially in the morning), but they don't photograph that well.

I think I'm about 13% bf right now and when I pinch the skin on my stomach... the skin is very thin, yet still no six-pack on the photograph.
    To be honest with you, I wouldnt cut more if I wasnt doing this competition. I'm very lean right now.
    I think I will have to drop to 10% to see a clean six pack

But actually...... What are you actually trying to achieve?
    A six pack like this? (my trainers wife)
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showpost.php?p=389235&postcount=85

or you just wanna see the abs?

here is me about 17% bf
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=28883&page=16

and here I am at about 13-14%
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showpost.php?p=440391&postcount=99
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showpost.php?p=460485&postcount=1563

ps. to me your abs look like mine when I was about 22-23% bf

15. keldink

keldink Active Member

Thanks Maya! I guess I'm aiming for what you look like at 13-14%.
    How long did it take you to reach that point? I'm really tired of the fat pocket under my belly button from pregnancy. My children are 8 and 4 you'd think it be gone!:mad:

16. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

I guess its hard to tell.
    I was about 17% in August- October. I maintained bf% and gain muscle during that time.
    In October I cleaned up my diet and lost some bf and gained little bit of muscle. So my goal was not to cut per se.
    I did quit all the bread, the pasta, the dairy except for cottage cheese at night. I was very strict about eating every 3 hrs. I ate lots then, about 2400-2600 cals and I weight trained 4 x week. I didnt do any cardio, but I did walk a lot outside (I lived in Spain then, and I didnt have a car. I had 20 minute walk to the gym)
    In February when I came back to Canada I was about 14%. Now I'm less.

I dont know the exactly bf% nor I really care. I go by the way I look. I either see the difference in the mirror or I dont, and I go by that.

I cut before to about 17% (Sept 2004, look at the first page of my journal) and you could see my abs, but I looked too skinny for my liking.
    I looked skinny and still not as "tight" as I wanted to look. But back then it was hard to me cut lower.
    I wanted more shape, more muscle. So from then I concentated on gaining muscle with no/little as possible fat gain. Now with more muscle its "easier"
    But as they say "abs are made in the kitchen"
    80% of how you look is your diet.

12% is little hard to maintain though. I'm not saying its impossible, but it requires pretty strict diet. For me. Im not saying not eating much, just eating clean and proper macros at proper time of the day)

17. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot to add. During October- mid March I still had cheat meals once a week. Usually on a high calorie day and after doing weight training (either legs or back- the largest muscle groups)

I dont know if you weight train. If you dont- do :)
    I dont think achieving a low body fat % and that tight look that you are after is possible with just a diet and cardio.

It goes like this
    PROPER NUTRITION---> WEIGHT TRAINING---> CARDIO (if nessessary)

If you do just cardio (too much) in my opinion, and you dont eat right, you will burn too much muscle and end up "skinny-fat"
    Just my humble opinion.

18. keldink

keldink Active Member

I've been lifting for about 8 weeks now (coming back from a shoulder injury). I lift 5x a week and do cardio on the off days. I've also cleaned up my diet and have been eating that way for about the same amount of time. I have been having cheat meals once a week but i'm stopping that for now. Here is my basic daily diet:

Meal 1: Around 7:00 am
    1 banana
    35 grams frozen blueberries
    1 cup milk
    29 grams vanilla whey protein
    • Put it all in the blender and drink it down
    Multivitamin and a triflex chew for my joints.

Meal 2: Around 10:00am
    20 grams quick oats (cinnamon and Splenda added)
    115 grams cottage cheese
    16 grams natural peanut butter

Meal 3: Around 12-12:30 pm
    4 oz. of protein (chicken, fish, ground turkey)
    ½ to 1 serving of a complex carb (it depends on if I’m carb cycling or not)
    1 serving of a steamed green veggie (broccoli, mixed veg. (no corn), green beans)

Meal 4: Around 2:30-3:00pm
    1 whole egg
    1 egg white
    1 slice whole wheat bread toasted with 16 grams natural peanut butter

Meal 5: Around 5-5:30pm
    Same as meal 3

Meal 6: Between 8:00-9:00pm
    1 whole egg
    1 white
    pineapple

I'm going to lose the carbs this week so my diet will be some different.
    Thanks for your info!!

19. Maya

Maya Well-Known Member

I would keep the complex carbs you are eating. The amount is not excessive. They will give you energy for weight training.

I would switch the bread to something else like rice or yam

What time of day do you weight train? What do you have before and after?
    I would have that banana after weight training (maybe 2 x week only though)

Personally I would skip the milk and for sure have regular oats, not the quick ones

How many grams of proteins do you get a day?
    How many calories? What macros?

Your protein seems little low to me, especially meal 4 and 6.
    1 egg white has only 3 grams of protein.
    I have 6-7 egg whites (or 200-250 ml= 4-5 servings) at once. And thats only about 20-25 grams. I aim for about 30 grams a meal.

Also I dont mix starchy and fruit carbs and fats. NEVER.

Keep those cheat meals. You are not competing girl ;)
    It will keep you sane and its recommended actually. I was told by my trainer to have them. Specifically told ;)
    I just stopped them now because this competition.

20. keldink

keldink Active Member