1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

A1 Steak Sauce Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by NoWhining, Aug 20, 2006.

1. NoWhining

NoWhining Well-Known Member

For dinner I always try and eat a small piece of chicken or steak. I love adding some dabs of A1 sauce on there but I am wondering if its a bad idea?

15 calories per serving and I probably put 3-4 servings down per meal.

Am I just paranoid or is it ok?

2. HeavyGuy

HeavyGuy Well-Known Member

I imagine it's not too terrible if you are careful with it and it fits into your plan. Just FYI, the way I decide whether I eat that kind of thing is by simply looking at the ingredients list. Typically condiments have sugar either first in the list, or second after water. If sugar is high in the list I put it back on the shelf.

Again, it's probably not going to make or break you depending on your goals. Probably lots of folks here have had success eating this or other similar sauces. Personally though, I find it difficult enough to keep my sugar intake at a minimum without purposefully spreading it all over my food :).

Cheers,
    Heavy

3. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

It's pretty crappy all in all; nothing but sugar, artificial flavoring and a bucket of sodium.

1T is 3g carbs and 12% sodium... All depends on you and your dietary needs.

4. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It's mostly sugar, but the amounts are so minimal that you're probably fine. Do you have an electronic scale to measure your intake? I doubt you're going so heavy on the A-1 that it's affecting your progress. It's definetly a candidate for elimination/reduction if you're looking to tighten up your diet.

5. NoWhining

NoWhining Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies, my goals are basically cutting at this stage. I guess ill tap the bottle out and never buy it again. Ill learn to deal :)

Thanks guys

6. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Again, the amounts are so minimal that it probably isn't affecting your cut. I'm not sure where you're at but unless you're looking to lose that last 1 or 2% BF I wouldn't worry about it.

Depriving yourself of something you enjoy eating may have a more adverse effect than consuming 4-8g of excess carbs every couple of meals.

7. Hort

Hort Well-Known Member

He's eating 3-4 (really probably 4-6) servings most likely... that's 12-25g empty carbs and a large amount of sodium. For the average cut it might be OK. For low-carb or trying to really get cut up, not so OK.

8. Coachese

Coachese Well-Known Member

I have a bottle of Carbwell BBQ sauce (that tastes ok if you mix it 2:1 with the hot sauce of your choice). While some of the more hardcore 'clean' eaters wouldn't approve, it helps me stay away from the truly horrible sauces out there.

FWIW? I found this:

An Excellent Clone
    Here's a recipe from recipegoldmine.com "Classy Clones" section.

A-1 Steak Sauce
    1/2 C. orange juice
    1/2 C. raisins
    1/4 C. soy sauce
    1/4 C. white vinegar
    2 T. Dijon mustard
    1 T. grated orange peel
    2 T. catsup
    2 T. chili sauce
    Bring all the ingredients to a boil, and then boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Allow the mixture to cool to lukewarm. Pour the mixture into a blender until it is smooth. Pour it into a bottle and cap tightly. Refrigerate and use within 90 days.

9. Primetime

Primetime Well-Known Member

A1 makes hamburgers taste like steak burgers. Great tasting stuff that I need not deprive myself of dispite its content. I like it, but I don't abuse it.