1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

A triumphant return

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by sigeplaxer, Jul 1, 2014.

1. sigeplaxer

sigeplaxer Well-Known Member

Hey fellow fitness types!

It's been 3 months since I've started exercising again. And while I've not been completely successful in getting in the amount of time I prefer, I have gone every week at least twice. I've noticed some improvement and that's just from getting in and moving weight around and facing my old nemesis, the stair master.

Ok, try to be brief with the facts. Was pretty bad off in October. Had full blown type 2 diabetes and didn't realize it. I work in healthcare and was fortunate someone noticed the problem and get me help. My blood sugar was well past 600 when I got help. A1C was 11.7 then.

This past May, I had an appointment and my dietary changes and the start of strength training saw that number drop to 5.5 (needs to be under 7 to be healthy). I'm pretty excited about that turning around, but the healthcare provider told me the problem is now my weight.

I am currently weigh 304. I was surprised to find out I'm around 26% bf now. The fat I had in my limbs is nowhere near what it was. The major problem now is my midsection..namely the gut.

At this point, i think I need to get some actual advice and / or direction for my efforts. I'm told gaining muscle will help burn fat so I started strength training, but then read I should lose the weight first. I don't know if there's any hard direction, but this is where I turn to you guys for guidance. I'm working to commit 4 strength training days and hope to get up to cardio everyday.

Crap...sorry...it was longer than I thought. But, I will GREATLY appreciate any help I can get. I'm motivated and hope by getting some direction I can stay that way.

Thanks.

2. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

First of all, congratulations on getting started to workout, and sticking with it.

That is the highest blood sugar reading I ever saw. You had no symptoms?

How did you check your bf%.

If you want advice, I would say don't wait until you lose weight to start weight training. Weight training will help you lose weight.

Good luck.

3. sigeplaxer

sigeplaxer Well-Known Member

Thanks. Very happy to be at it again. Even if I don't know what I'm doing.

I had plenty symptoms, but I was very busy at work and ignored it. Almost paid for it, so that won't happen again.

I bought some calipers to do the bf testing with.

I'm heading to the gym today for some strength training. :)

thanks for replying.

4. jmike

jmike Active Member

strength training is a great great place to begin

a few years ago, there was a guy here that lost over 100 pounds -- should check out his old fitness journal for some ideas

From Fat to Back and Back to Fit Again
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=51781

Squat, Me Skinny?
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?p=873915#post873915

5. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

While I agree that strength training is important (and cardio is important as well), the most important factor in loosing weight is total calories consumed. It is way to easy to out eat any strength training and or cardio program.

Dont believe me look at all the overweight Olympic weight lifters (especially from a few years back) and look at how many overweight people cross the finish line at a marathon (not the front runners look at the 5 + hour finishers.

So that it does not get lost,

Total calories consumed is the only factor in weight loss.

Macros important but macros add up to total calories
    Food type important to get necessary nutrients but still just add up to total calories.
    Exercise is important but easily overcome by a few extra bites of that meal.

You can do this. Look at the fitness journals for the running man. He started last fall at where you are and is below 250 now.