1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

A question for the mothers out there

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by greengirl, Nov 30, 2006.

1. greengirl

greengirl Active Member

Hello
    So
    I just found out I am pregnant. I was wondering if any of you were working out prior to getting pregnant. If so, at the beginning of the pregnancy di you notice a decline in your fitness? Problems breathing? Anything else? Thanks

2. Bowza

Bowza Active Member

Never been pregnant, but just wanted to say congratulations!

3. greengirl

greengirl Active Member

LOL, thank you.:)

4. fitnessluver

fitnessluver Active Member

Hello,

Congratulations!

The only problem I remember having at the beginning of my pregnancy, was that I was really really tired all the time. Not much energy for working out. But that was just me, I am sure everyone is different. The doctor told me to just keep doing what ever I was currently doing, but to not add anything new to the mix, and no heavy lifting. Looking back, I almost wish I had of remained more active than I did, and maybe I wouldn't of gained so much weight. Take care,

Crystal

5. greengirl

greengirl Active Member

:) Thanks fitnessluver.
    This will be my 3rd child, but the first in which I am already working out. It bums me out that I will have to wait another year or so to achieve my ideal physique, but oh well, not much I can do about that.
    I have started feeling the dreaded fatigue and don't feel like going to the gym today. Maybe I'll do a quick leg workout at home. Hmm.

6. Monkey0ne

Monkey0ne Well-Known Member

Hey Greengirl!

Congratulations. Obviously, I'm not a mom, but I am a dad... twice. :D I know there are yoga programs for expecting mothers available in book form or DVD. You just have to search. Honestly, you should really consult with your doctor. Many pregnancies are different, having different levels of risk. Your doctor should be able to tell you what exercises you'd be capable of with minimal to no risk. Avoiding heavy lifting as well as anything that causes physical or mental stress is usually the norm.

Hope this helps! :gl:

- L

7. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

Congrats! Since you are already working out, you can continue working out into your pregnancy. I'd check up w/ your doctor though. Don't increase the workload for weights much, but you may be able to do more cardio if you aren't exhausted. Your hormones change the flexibility in your joints, so certain exercises may be out (lunges, squats). Check w/ your doctor on that one. You don't want to break anything! Most of all, keep the baby safe! Congrats again!

8. kateykate

kateykate Well-Known Member

Congrats :)

The real trouble with pregnancy is that it kills your brain cells. I can't remember enough about being pregnant to offer any meaningful advice!

I vaguely recall that my joints were a bit weaker, I think, during and after pregnancy. My knees particularly. And I remember someone else having to avoid stomach exercises, but then, she had a pretty round little basketball belly by that stage, so that's most likely the reason why.
    And stay on top of your blood pressure-but I'm sure you know this already. :nod:

9. greengirl

greengirl Active Member

well, thank you everyone for your responses and congrats. I am a little down about being pregnant at this point in time, as I was just getting my diet really clean and was heading hard into my goals. And to put them off for another 2 years is a bummer. But, c'est la vie. I just really need to keep my diet clean and not gain the 60 lbs I did with my first child, lol. Keep your fingers crossed for me that it's a girl!!!! :)

10. kateykate

kateykate Well-Known Member

:nod: Totally (and I'm sure many women agree) understand where you're coming from with feeling a little down about being pregnant. Don't fret though- you're off to a good start, afterall! :gl:

11. canoscan

canoscan Well-Known Member

#11 canoscan, Dec 13, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  12. greengirl

greengirl Active Member

Thanks, canoscan. There seems to be different info there. It made me feel like not gaining tons of weight is possible. Thanks again for posting that.:)

13. buffedstuff

buffedstuff Active Member

back in 1982 oh gosh

Oh gosh I had my last child 23 years ago, I was in the army so I was in pretty good shape. I had morning sickness which lasted for the first 6 weeks I believe so it took a slight edge off my game :) Hey congratulations on the baby

14. greengirl

greengirl Active Member

Thanks buffedstuff!!! Yeh, i am getting more morning sickness than I did with my first 2. Maybe a girl??!! :)

15. MaryJane27

MaryJane27 Well-Known Member

I know this thread is a little old, but I'll put my 2cents in anyway.

I worked out 4-5xs a week pre pregnancy. Mostly weights since I HATE cardio...
    Once i found out I was preggo, I still continued lifting...I dropped the weights a LITTLE bit on lower body exercises (squats/leg press/extensions, etc)..I was able to workout til about 10 weeks, then i stopped for a bit cause i was completely exhausted. Around week 15, I picked back up where I left off no problem.
    I continued working out about 3-4xs a week (closer to 3xs) until 8 months...I stopped cause I had a migraine that lasted the last 5 weeks of my pregnancy and didn't feel that great.

I gained 39lbs. I watched what I ate, but wasn't strict. If i wanted ice cream, I ate ice cream.

I lost all that weight byt 6 weeks post partum.

I started working out again 5 weeks Post partum after being OK'd by the doc.

Now 4 months after having my baby, i'm almost 10 lbs lighter then pre-preg weight. I'm working out 4-5xs a week again. :):claphigh:

16. greengirl

greengirl Active Member

Thanks for the input, MaryJane27. I am still working out about 4-5x a week. It used to be 6x, but I usually don't want to go on the 6th day.:lol: This is my 3rd child, I gained 60 lbs with my first, and about 30lb with my 2nd. I am hoping for 25 with this one, but the way I'm going it doesn't look that way:lol: . I have cut back a bit on the weights leg wise at least. I really feel my joints loosening. I also do alot of balance work, but am feeling a bit uneasy with that as well, so am slowing down a bit. Feeling worn out by the end of my cardio, though.:blank: