1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

A new beginning...

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by raymondbreen, Oct 26, 2004.

1. raymondbreen

raymondbreen Well-Known Member

Howdy All,

A couple of days ago i decided enough was enough and that I need to get fit and in shape once and for all. During the last few years i have had various 'attempts' by joining the local gym but found it hard to keep these going for any amount of time, and after reading this site its quite clear to me now that exercise is by no stretch the be all and end all of getting in shape and staying that way.

Bearing this mind rather that aiming to loose any specific amount of weight i am taking more a pragmatic approach regarding my goals to the point of the following short/medium / long term goals and would be very grateful if you wouldnt mind giving me some feedback.

Current Life Style

I have been out of work now for around 4 months and with the nature of my working being pretty much a desk job i was getting very little exercise on a daily while in work, nevermind now, and am putting on weight at a noticable rate(a few pounds a month)

I am around 300 pounds in weight, height of around 5'11", and aged 32. Currently in a 17.5-18" shirt size and 42" waist. I eat reasonably sensibly, with a typical break fast of cornflakes, some sandwiches for lunch(typically tuna or ham on 4 weight watchers brown bread), the odd peice of fruit, then my main meal at night, which can vary from potatoes with bacon, and peas to chilli with spaghetti. Also have a roast dinner at the weekend. When i am feeling peckish i may have the odd kitkat or other chocalate bar.

My main contribution to me adding weight is my overexcess with beer, i typically drink around 20-25 pints a week over 3 nights (wed, fri and sat).

Short term Goal(1 -3 months)

I have bought a multi gym off ebay and am planning to use this 3-4 times a week, alternating between upper and lower body light weight work outs, primarily so i get semi toned and primarily that i dont go rushing into getting fit like a bull seeing a red flag, with the result being that I give up after a short while.

This will also involve some basic cardio, with the likes of spending around an hour a day out walking, and also using a mini stepper as an intensive work out, starting out doing 5 minutes a day, and every couple of days adding a minute to the duration. Also rather than taking the easy/less fit approach to life in general i will try and push my self (ie, rather than taking the car to the local shop, i will walk)

From a diet point of view, i will be cutting out my drink in a serious way so from now on I will be aiming to stick to one night, be it a friday or saturday, and the rest of the week i stay off it. Also i will be cutting out the choco and other snacks that are full of no good contents, and will be subsitituting these for a piece of fruit.

Hopefully the result of this plan will be that I will be in a 16.5/17.0 " shirt, and manage to get into a 40" pair of trousers, nevermind feeling much more confident.

Medium Term Goals(3-6 months)

Switch from walking to going out on my bike, for typically an hour a day. Increase my stepper exercises so i am doing around 35+ minutes.

Change my exercises on the multi gym so rather than just aiming for a very basic toning session, i ramp it up so i am toning really well.

Take part in group activities the likes of sponsored bike races, 2k runs and the likes.

For diet, investigate and instigate a proper nutritional balanced diet and stick to it.

Ideally after this time I will have dropped a size or two in both my trouser and shirt size.

Long term goal

Switch from using the bike as a primary cv workout to a jogging/running hiit combination, and dropping the stepper routine althogether.

Increase my weights usage so i start to bulk up. Get into a trouser size and shirt size that i have not been in since my teens.

Sorry if this is a lot to read, but i have thought long and hard about this and thought i would put all thoughts and my basic plan of attack to see what everyones comments are, be them good or bad.

Thank you all for reading my essay :)

2. _Christopher_

_Christopher_ Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've done a good job of planning everything out! Welcome to the site!

3. raymondbreen

Thanks for the encouragement mate, i cant wait to make a start :)

4. CASD

CASD Well-Known Member

Everything takes that first step..and your doing it!!..

Start a Journal here and write about your day.. take a look at mine for idea's

Go to fitday.com and log all your food for the day..

Ask alot of questions... thats why we are here.. to do the same as you and learn and maybe we've done the samething/ had the same problem etc..,

Read the stickies... Lots of good info..

5. Skoorb

Skoorb Well-Known Member

Sounds good :tucool: I'd revisit this thread frequently, so that you can remind yourself of the goals too.

At your size you will find that even a moderate approach to fitness will reap you fairly quick rewards on the scale. You may not see it in the mirror immediately, but if you're excercising and eating properly you will see the scale weight start to drop quickly. When you see that remind yourself that it can drop as low as you want. You've probabyl seen enough people here (and that buddy on the bowflex commercial too!) to know that you can really thin out in a big way if you keep at it :D

6. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

Hey,

Welcome to the forums !!! :)

My advice:

Dont go for a "Light toning weights session". In my opinion, not the best approach. At 300lbs, i think your cardio plan is spot on, i like the 5 mins to start with, then increasing a minute every few days or whatever. Walking places will also help. But at 300lbs, you will have some strength and will probably surprise yourself with how much you can lift. As weight lifting is in some senses done "on the spot", its something you can push yourself with and really burn some calories by implementing a good intense workout. I see no reason to start with a light toning programme with regards weights. You should push yourself as much as you can with your lifts.

Also, the main part of this programme will be your diet. Thats the key. And its something that you havent gone into detail about, and therefore to me seems like something that is only secondary in your mind. Make it the FOCUS of what you do. It really is the key. Read around, fatlosstips.com is pretty good, as are the threads here. You HAVE to prioritise your eating. There can be no comprimise with this.

You seem positive and determined, and thats half the battle won. Set yourself a LONG term goal of maybe 12 months and dont expect overnight success, but do stick with it and focus.

Good luck mate. :tu:

7. raymondbreen

Thanks for the info reno,

Yes I have done the odd bit of weights off and so, you think I should just for a toning or bulk building approach? and how often? also should i do the cv on different days to the weight training or is it okay to combine then providing the cv is several hours before the weights?

The main reason i havent gone into any diet specifics is becuase at this moment in the in the short term (next 3-6 months or so) i want to build up my fitness and by doing so loose a reasonable amount of weight.

I appreciate that by combining exercise with nutritional and calorie controlled diet i could loose more, but I want to take things a managable step at a time, which i feel i can easier achieve than a big bang approach. After 6 months or so when i have lost the 'easy' weight, i will then look into getting setup with a rigorous and balanced diet.

8. Visteon

Visteon Well-Known Member

Hi,

Congrats on the decision to go for it.

I'm at a weight very similar to yours and know exactly how you feel. You'll be surprised how quickly you start to lose the 1st few lbs. But with regard to weights go for it, really push yourself. I've been doing weights and cardio for about 2 months now and bench 75kg which although is not at the standard of many it is a fair old weight for me and hopefully can only get better. With Cardio I know many people will advise you to stick to 70-80% of your heart rate and if you can then thats great, I find to keep my heart rate down I didnt have to do much at all and then it didnt feel like a workout. So again I really push myself at that to.

And then there's the nutrition, to begin with I didnt really eat as clean as I do now, but by cutting out the crap from day to day, and then when you see results you'll want to eat cleaner and cleaner!!!

You'll learn lots from the site and everyone is very willing to help. Feel free to PM me as we have similar goals and I'll be happy to try to answer any questions by no scale an expert but I can certainly let you know what is helping me!!! :tu:

9. Reno_1ted

Reno_1ted Well-Known Member

If you lift weights as heavy as you can, doing 6-8 reps, and really excert (sp?) yourself, then thats what you should be aiming for. The difference maker between bulking and toning (assumably meaning fat loss), is your diet approach. You have to ask yourself "Why am i lifting weights ?" I would hope the answer would be to overload the muscles and burn off calories. Else why do it ? The best way to do this is to lift heavy. Light weights that aren't getting the heart rate up, nor overloading the muscle, arent really achiveing all that much. I appreciate the fact that you want to ease into this, and i agree, but by the same token you dont want to be wasting your time, you want results, and lifting weight that doesnt push yourself will not get you results. :nod:

Spot on ! :tu: Both can be done on the same day, but people recommend keeping several hours between.

I understand your point, but i think you should know that to loose weight, you have to eat less calories then you consume. Ok, so by implementing an excersize plan, you will burn off more calories, but if your diet isnt good, you may STILL be consuming more then you are burning off. You might limit further weight GAINS, but you will not loose weight if you are eating more then you are burning off.

Im not saying you have to go straight to salads, 6 healthy meals a day, no late night carbs and all that. I 100% agree with you when you say you want to go into this slowly and ease your way in. BUT, all im saying is that you cant ignore diet all together, as it really is the key.

How about watching what you eat and making sure your not eating more then your burning, your not eating lots of saturated fat or sugar, and your getting some protien daily. Nothing complicated, just those three simple things. Seriously, i hear what your saying, but at least consider some simple basic changes. :nod:

10. raymondbreen

Reno, thanks again for the responses, i see your point now about pushing myself doing the weights, as its a means to an end, namely weight loose, rather than specifically bulking which I will look at doing later on, once i shed a few stone.

Is that one set of 6-8 reps or multiple sets? or do i just take it as it comes and ramp up when i feel that i can do so.

Regarding the diet, i was planning on following the basic premise of having 4-5 meals/snacks a day and avoid all unhealthy food on an ongoing basis baring the one off's, as i know my main huge intake which is putting the pounds on is the beer, if i drastically reduce down to once a night, and make common sense changes to my diet, i would like to hope from a diet point of view I am 50% there.

I am planning on starting on thursday, as I still need to assemble the gym, and thats going to be fun in itself :)

11. raymondbreen

Hi Visteon,

Thanks for the reply mate, all the responses have been great, constructive criticism on my plan and i am changing it accordingly, i think with the help and motivation of this board and the people on it, how can i fail..hehe :)

How much have you lost be it waist size or actual weight if you dont me asking?

Also have you made changes to your diet as suggested in these forums or just taken the same approach as me and cut out all the main culprits? with a view to heavy change your diet at a later stage?

12. Charles

Charles Well-Known Member

What are your 3 month weight goals? I think you can drop a lot more inches off your waist than just two inches in 3 months especially with your goals/routine. I went from a 38" wasit to a 34" in about 3 months and now I can wear 32" pants.

You have great goals! Stick with them. :gl:

13. raymondbreen

well it depends really, as from my understanding it isnt about the weight loose as more about what your weight is made up (muscle to fat ratio), and i wanted to set expectable goals, and if i exceed them cool, if i dont then i know i am still on target.

I suspect in the first few months that i will easily loose a couple of stone, especially with me dropping the beer down considerably, that in itself would have an impact nevermind doing cv workouts each day along with 3/4 weight sessions a week, but i didnt want to put any exact goals as that could have an impact on my physcologically(if i loose x pounds i can take it easier, and vice versa).

Thats why i went with the clothes size rather than weight, assuming the majority of the fat weight is burned off and not converted to muscle? not sure how this would work out

14. Visteon

Visteon Well-Known Member

I lost 13lbs in the first month or so. I havent dropped a waist size yet, but certainly the belt does up an a notch or too more. I've lost the most weight from my legs and face, but it will come off eventually if I stick at it. In the first month I didn't go all out on nutrition I just cut out things I knew were bad, stopped drinking Coke, cut out chocolate etc, but reading through the boards you'll pick up the things you can eat. I think you should really go for it. Set yourself an acheivable goal, when you reach it set another. But certainly nutrition and excercise is the best way forward. Once you see results and you start to feel better in yourself you motivate yourself. You'll see 'bad' food as extra time on the treadmil!!! Good luck and stick at it!

15. raymondbreen

yea, my thoughts exactly, a step at a time, i have dropped all obviously unhealthy food like chocolate, and beer (besides my friday night out where i drink 8 or so pints and a few southern conforts).

Also where possible i am choosing more healthy meals (instead of processed ham on a sandwich with processed cheese slices for lunch, i opt for tuna with lettuce and tomato).

For now i am still sticking with basically 3 meals and consuming a lot of water. Along with starting weights and doing some basic cardio.

Once this shows results which I am sure it will, this will give me confidence and the extra will power to go to the next level and thoroughly change my diet.

I cant wait to get started, i know it will be hard especially at first but the end justifies the means :)