1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

A mixed bundle of stuff

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Sharv, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

So, here's entry number one of the tracking journal. After a varied training schedule over the years, I am where I am. I've spent some time in the past trying to 'bulk up' and other time improving functional fitness and training to run obstacle races and trail runs. As I head into the upcoming 'nice weather season' I'm pursuing a mixed training schedule to achieve a variety of ends. This summer I'm hoping to run a few more obstacle runs (as in previous years) but also take a shot at a triathlon or two (something I used to do over 20 years ago). Its winter so I'm not pursuing any major gains in any particular area. Just trying to be reasonable, maintain and build in functional strength and cardio (because I do eventully learn that I am not 20 years old anymore). I've charted a schedule that I usually stick to but I'm not beating myself up any more if I'm not 100% on track. Just aiming to always do something each day and generally improve AND STAY INJURY FREE.

So, generally, I've created a schedule that incoporates elements from the Navy Seal fitness program, P90X, Crossfit, strength training, and cardio including running, biking and swimming....I try not to overwork muscle groups in consecutive days.

Goals include: improving functional strength (especially hanging related such as pull ups, rope climbs and monkey bars), maintaining a reasonable 5 - 8 km run ability, building to a solid and comfortable 1 km swim distance, maintaining 30 minutes on the stationary bike over the winter months, and regularly keeping limber with stretching / yoga / martial arts.

Complications include: a slightly buggered up left shoulder and current upper back and neck issues. So, at the moment I've modified things to ease up on upper back a bit to allow the back and neck to settle down. Currently in treatment with chiro and physio.

A note on the schedule. There's no point in charting it out since I've had to change it while undergoing treatment. Once I'm more or less 100%, I'll go back to some sort of plan.

#1 Sharv, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Yesterday, did Legs workout which I haven't done for a while. About 1/2 of P90X routine (+ some abs). Just easing into things and will eventually increase to the full workout. Still an effort however especially since I ran 6 km the day before.

This morning ran through about 30 minutes of martial arts basics and combinations. Just trying to get more limber and recall years of training from years ago. Broke a sweat and moved around so all good. Plan to swim 750 m tonight (eased up from previous 1 km workouts to improve neck/back issues as per Dr orders).

3. Bradley326

Bradley326 Active Member

What kind of martial arts do you do? I've been considering getting involved in one now that I have a bit more free time, but there are so many different gyms/style around that it's a bit overwhelming.

4. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Hi Bradley. I'm not in a gym at the moment (wish I was). Just running through techniques and combinations to refresh my memory and limber up. A bit like doing the P90X Kenpo routine I suppose but I learned a great deal more techniques over the years. I may get back into a club again but I'm not sure on that at the moment.

I spent a few years here and there in various Karate styles (and a bit of time in Kung Fu). One karate club years ago which incorporated many techniques from other styles of martial arts (like judo, kung fu and Tai Kwon Do) and spent a fair bit of emphasis on self defence and another Karate club which was more strictly Shotokan and focused on those core techniques.

I enjoyed them both but the more mixed club was far more fun and practical. Both were great from a fitness perspective and I highly recommend any form of martial arts to people. A good club (IMHO) should be good fitness, good fun and good practicality (self defense speaking). I have two daughters who've spent a bit of time dabbling in karate too.

However, if I had to choose a club/style these days I'd probably lean towards Jiu Jitsu or a mixed martial arts club. I think its most useful to have a decent striking ability combined with skills when things get close. I always remember watching early mixed martial arts octagon fights and the guys with poor ground skills were always at a disadvantage and I think real life is probably pretty similar. Nice to be able to punch your way out of trouble but if you get tangled up that could spell trouble. Most martial arts clubs in my experience are very supportive places and offer opportunities to try a class or 2 (or more) for free. I'd look into some that work for your schedule and seem interesting to you and try them out. A free class or two can't hurt.

5. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Had to watch the kids in the evening so no swim last night. Ah well. Shoulder wasn't 100% anyway. I'll hit the pool next week.

Today, went to gym and ran through a plyometric / calisthenics circuit a few times. Routine as follows.

10 min cardio warm up on stationary bike.

Various movements and stretches.

CIRCUIT - 4x
    25 jump jacks
    15 pike crunches
    20 jump squats
    20 (each leg) fwd and back leg swings
    Rope climb and monkey bars on Movestrong Rig
    10 box jumps
    30 mountain climbers
    20 broad jumps (across the gym and back
    20 prisoner squats
    5 dips

10 min on stationary bike and lite stretch

Made a routine where I'm forced to do some things that totally kill me like jump squats, box jumps and broad jumps. Whenever I'm at an event and have to do these, the people half my age leave me in the dust and I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack. So, may as well do these more often and see if, over time, these don't suck the life out of me....as much.

6. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

That's a solid workout -- well done! :claplow:

Yeah, I hate those kids, too. :nod: :lol: :cry:

7. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

I just have to remember to not try and keep up. Otherwise I'm back in physio again. ;)

8. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Saturday did 30 minutes on the stationary bike and a few sets of abs. Sunday a day of rest with some stretching.

9. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Monday:
    Was bad and did nothing. Schedule kept shifting around but notwithstanding I could have done something and didn't. Bad!

Tuesday:
    am - Plyometric / circuit training session. Will do this once per week (Tuesdays) but will reduce the Jump Squat reps down to 12 from 20 next week to make the knees happier. 10 minutes on the stationary bike as warm-up cool-down.

CIRCUIT - 4x
    25 jump jacks
    20 pike crunches
    20 jump squats (to lower to 12)
    20 (each leg) fwd and back leg swings
    Rope climb and monkey bars on Movestrong Rig
    10 box jumps
    30 mountain climbers
    20 broad jumps (across the gym and back)
    20 prisoner squats
    5 dips

Was only doing part of the monkey bar aparatus but pushed it farther and farther with no major straining. Will aim to run the full monkey bars combined with the rope climb next week.

pm - 750 m swim in the pool. Hadn't been for almost 2 weeks and felt it. Probably also a bit tough considering the plyo session earlier in the day. Swim was mostly freestyle but a bit of breast stroke here and there mostly broken into 100's.

Wednesday:
    30 minutes on stationary bike. Moderate effort. Steady.

10. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Outline of the Winter schedule at the moment as follows:

M - Run 5- 8 km (just maintenance)
    T - Plyometrics & Swim (750m - 1250m)
    W - Bike 30minutes
    Th - General Strength Training & Swim
    F - Run 5 - 8 km
    Sa - Martial Arts & Stretching (calling this an active rest day)
    Sun - Bike 30 minutes

Core workouts scattered throughout.

I'm just treating this as a guide at the moment with the overall goal to just be active each day and to be training broadly in cardio and strength training. Its Winter but I'm giving it my best so I can hit the Spring with a decent fitness level. I'm currently supposed to be taking it very easy on my upper body while I rehab my neck and upper back so I'll change things around once I'm closer to 100%.

11. Sharv

Sharv Active Member

Hit stationary bike for 25 minutes this morning at a reasonable effort after spending almost 10 days away from working out after aggravating an old lower back injury while shovelling snow last Monday :( Easing back into things....again. Must remember, "baby steps".

12. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

Back injuries are nothing to mess around with. :nono: Here's hoping it heals quickly and you can get back to a regular routine! :nod: