1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

A Home Gym??

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by mastover, Aug 21, 2012.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

I've always wanted one. I've been training in commercial gyms for all my life and competitive career. I believe I never would have achieved the success in my career without these gyms and the support from their owners. I've been blessed... honestly. Now I am thinking of a home gym with certain limitations I must work with. I cleaned out my mom's basement as best as I can and I have some room down there. Her home is only 3 blocks away from my apartment. The ceiling, however, is low. Perhaps 9 feet high.

Is there any universal machine I can set up (with the height restrictions specified) that can work the entire body on a progressive basis? Or... should I look into a power/squat rack with the proper height dimensions, along with olympic bars, and plenty of plates, along with a dipping station where I can do weighted dips and chins? Power Tower? Since I cannot squat much anymore due to my nerve problems, I am looking for an industrial strength hack squat machine that can double up as a 45 degree leg press machine. I don't have room for a DB rack set up, and deadlifts would be restricted to rack pulls, since I cannot rubberize the concrete floor. This is where the squat rack with pins would come in.

Ideally, I'd love to have a setup like John's, but that's impossible.

Thanks in advance for any input! :)

2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    I would think that a cage with a pulldown attachement would be a good place to start. I've never found a power tower that wasn't shaky as hell. The leg press/hack squat machine is going to be $$$... I had a nice one when I had my private gym set-up and I was doing personal training. Here it is... http://www.bigfitness.com/legprhasqbyb.html

3. huxald

huxald Well-Known Member

I currently have a home gym setup in my basement...and it's very eclectic.

My dip machine cost me $8, and can support upto 300 lbs :)...this is what I use:

http://youtu.be/cuow4EJ0Ir0

I custom built my own squat rack using, double re-enforced 2x8's using the plans here:

http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html#pdf

Cost me $60, and once I outgrow it, I'll go for something more solid. I was able to custom-fit it to my 9' ceiling basement.

I have a barbel that I have attached to an I-beam, with c-clamps. Works amazingly, and easily supports lots of weight. I use that for pull-ups/chins. Cost me a couple of bucks for the c-clamps.

I'm always buying used weights, db/bb, so I have lots of those laying around.

I don't have a leg press machine, yet....if I come across something, I will let you know.

And the best part of the home gym is how convenient it is.

Just remember to install that planet-fitness alarm you are so fond of :D

4. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

I guess the limits where I have my rack are similar.

I have a powertec rack. It includes a pullup bar on the front. Two dip bars that can be mounted/removed on the side. For weighted I use a belt which takes Oly plates.

I'm 5' 9"ish. I can just do standing military presses inside the rack. If my arms were a touch longer I'd hit the overhead. At the moment I actually deadlift inside the rack. There isn't really enough space for me to lift outside the rack. At least not at the moment.

The whole setup is usually bundled with an Olympic weight set and bench for reasonable prices.

Wouldn't rubber plates be good enough? Or even putting down a sheet of plywood?