1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

A few newbie questions

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by Prodigy, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Prodigy

Prodigy Active Member

Hi all,

I am just beginning my transformation and as you all know, it can be quite confusing at the start :) I am currently 5'10 & 190 lbs with 24% body fat. 3 months or so ago I was 210, but lost that weight by quitting drinking (beer) and eating better. I am now in the second stage; fitness.

I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone will take the time to answer:

1) My goal is 170 lbs with 15% body fat in 10 months. Is this realistic?

2) I am currently doing cardio three times a week (eek!, hate it) and weights (circuit) twice a week. Could I reverse that and do weights 3 times, cardio 2 times (ie weights Mon, Wed, Fri)?

3) I read that a good post-workout meal is a protein shake and a banana or 2 (for carbs & sugar). I just ran into a situation where I had no bananas, so I had a protein shake and a glass of orange juice afterwards. Was the glass of orange juice a good idea?

I have a million other questions, but I am doing alot of reading on this great site and hoping to find answers to all those questions.

Cheers,

Prodigy

2. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

CAPS:

I'D CONTINUE TO READ/RESEARCH/READ THE STICKY POSTS, ETC., AND COME UP WITH A SOLIDIFIED/INTELLIGENT PLAN OF ATTACK THAT ADDRESSES CARDIO, AN IMPECCABLE DIETARY APPROACH, AND A WORKOUT/REST PROTOCOL TO COMPLETE THE TRIO.

~SC~

3. kismocles

kismocles Well-Known Member

Hi Prodigy

Congrats on your successes so far. You've done a lot of hard work to get where you are now.

I'll defer to the expertise of the others here on your other questions, but I can tell you that for me, over the last 2+ months, lifting 3x a week with cardio 2x has helped a lot.

Are you doing HIIT or LISS or something else for your cardio?

Your goals seem very realistic, maybe even attainable in a shorter time.

Keep it up

4. ucfmatt

ucfmatt Active Member

I like to put a banana right into my protein shake

My recipe looks something like:

2 scoops protein powder
    8 oz skin milk
    8 ice cubes
    1 tbsp Natural Peanut Butter
    1 large ripe banana

Blend for 30-40 seconds

5. Prodigy

Prodigy Active Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

As for my cardio, I am doing LISS. My plan is to do this for a few weeks and then switch to HIIT so I can cut down on the amount of time spent doing it.

I read somewhere that after weights, it is a good idea to include some fruit with your protein shake. Most popular choice seems to be a banana. Is this incorrect? Should I just stick to the shake?

Thanks,

Prodigy

6. Prodigy

Prodigy Active Member

Love cardio? I don't think that will ever be possible :) However, I will do it because I know I need to. I am currently doing the eliptical(?) machine but want to switch to the bike. Is the bike good cardio?

I am only planning to do the circuit for about a month, really just to get me into the swing of things (haven't lifted weights in MANY years). I then plan on putting together a better weight program, with the help of this forum of course.

Thanks for the info,

Prodigy

7. SwoleCat

I could have sworn I addressed this above?

~SC~

8. Prodigy

Prodigy Active Member

Just double checking. :cool: I have in fact read that many people include bananas in/with their shake, so I was curious as to why if it is not a good idea (as you indicated above).

Prodigy

9. SwoleCat

Post-workout, a banana or fruit in a plain protein shake is use-less.

Many may include it at other times of the day, yes, but pwo if you want an intelligent approach to pwo nutrition this does not qualify whatsoever.

~SC~

10. tedpod

tedpod Well-Known Member

theres alot of info out ther on pwo nutrition...you will undoubtfully find yourself trapped in hours of reading , thinking youve got it all figured out..then you will read something posted b someone else(generally a reutable source) that totally contradicts what you thought you just learned....CONFUSING right???...wrong

the first thing you should learn is there are alot of different opinions, methods out there....and alot of nice physiques to back them up with...

dont get discouraged though...dont think well dangi just dont know what to eat pwo and because of that im njust gonna go to wendys...or man im donw cause my workout went awesome but i havent quite cracked this pwo window nutrition rubix cube of confusion...pwo is one meal out of at least 6....its a good one...important one...but just use common sense on whichever approach you decide...some people feel that ice cream is good pwo.....so yeah just back up breathe and think...also dont be afraid to experiment...

my advice for you is to use mixtures....
    personly what i do is 1.5 scoops whey
    40 grams of dextrose(fast acting sugar)
    40 grams of carbs from anouther source..(i prefer oats)...
    ive also been known to throw a handful of berries in there too....antioxidants can be very beneficial..

do some reading searching..figure out what works for you...

11. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

Agree!

What's your diet look like now and how many calories are you consuming?