1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

A Bulk

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by DeafNgari, May 19, 2006.

1. DeafNgari

DeafNgari Well-Known Member

Hey all!

I doubt many (if any of you) remember me, but I decided to return to the forums because I decided to stop being in the maintaining mode I have been in for a very very long time. A little history. I found these forums roughly 2 years ago and start cutting and down to look like the picture I put below (the cut ones). I stayed like that for 6 months or so and then let it slip (willingly). It is a ton of work:lol: I tried bulking for a bit then let my body find a weight it was comfortable with and just maintained for a while. The last year was crazy. I moved to Palo Alto (bay area) to start work on my phd in biophysical chemistry at stanford. Settling in to my new life meant little time to dedicate to me (hence more maintaining). I am almost done with my teaching commitment so research and working out is taking over so I am commiting again to a serious bulk. I also got engaged last december (wedding still a year away, gal in pic below the fiance). Other pics are my current state.

Stats: 5' 8" 23 years old
    Currently ~165 lbs

Ripped pics I was 139 lbs.

I have a workout scheme all setup and have already started. Using the following supplements, Bev. Intl. Multi Vit., Creatine Ethyl Ester HCL, Glucosamine, Whey, Glumatine. Diet is gradually being upped in calories and getting more strict. I am trying to get back into the fitday habbit. Pics coming in next couple posts.

2. DeafNgari

The old pics

My old ripped pics...

Attached Files:

3. DeafNgari

Fiance

My fiance and I

Attached Files:

4. DeafNgari

Pics from 5.18.06

From 5/18

Attached Files:

5. DeafNgari

5/18/06 Update

Todays Thoughts:

So I see pics of people who are completely ripped and guys in the gym, and I think after 3-4 years of working out I finally don't care. I know I have the ability to do it, but it just is not worth it to me. Maybe I'll feel that way about being "big" once I get there too and decide it is not worth it. We shall see. I guess the thing I have really learned is that being healthy is all you need. There are a ton of people who look amazing but live pretty unhealthy lives. Work out today rocked me. Couples kinds of presses and deadlifts. I still can hardly walk from my squats and sled from yesterday, but somehow gimping around makes me all warm inside. I made the mistake of eating lunch out today with friends. They took me to a truck that pulls up to campus and serves chinese food. You go into it and fill a container and pay for your food by how much the thing weighs. I filled it with what I wanted to eat (and remember I am currently eating quite a lot) and got told it was too light even for the lowest price. Man our country is out of control with food portions. Have a great night all.

6. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

dude, your super cut pictures are amazing

amazing

but I understand (only from reading, obviously) how much work it would be to maintain

I also agree with you on being healthy being more important - so good luck in your journey and I look forward to following along!

7. sfc01

sfc01 Well-Known Member

I agree with Silver. The cut pics look great. That said the current pics aren't all that shabby either.

Good luck with the bulk!

Congrats on the engagement as well.

8. George

George Senior Member

Oh man, welcome back! You were(and still are) one of my biggest inspirations on here.

9. DeafNgari

Thanks for the kind compliments all. Yeah whenever I see those old cut pictures part of me wants it back (but a smaller and smaller part). Who knows maybe I will do it again. I know I will cut again after this bulk but not sure to what level. I've found my body maintains fairly easily at 10ish%bf so that will probably be what I go back down to. Anywho...

Today: go into work and start fixxing the electrosrapy head for the DESI source I am building for our new mass spec (sorry for the science mumbo jumbo). Once we get our MS up and running though I do plan on running samples of my AllTheWhey supplements just to see what is really there and how pure they are (not that I expect any surprises just sounds fun). I do my biceps/back/abs tonight.... pulls up till I basically cry. My father and his wife are coming to visit me this weekend so I get to play host, but it does mean they will take me out to eat a fair deal. Tonight it is INDIAN!!! Yummy, lamb saag, lamb curry here I come. Enjoy your fridays all.

10. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

The cut pics are, obviously, impressive. But you look happy, healthy, and strong in the newer images. Congratulations on everything. This should be fun to watch.

11. DeafNgari

5/19

Todays workout was wonderful... biceps/mid/upper back/abs. After a shower and a shake I went to the departmental wine and cheese party (no wine for me... post work out wine consumption... no thanks). About to head out to dinner with my father and his wife, I believe it is still going to be indian food. Tonight at the party, I was referred to as looking jacked which made me smile although I wouldnt describe myself as being jacked. Tomorrow I am taking my pops to the monterey bay aquarium and going to drive 17 mile drive (pebble beach, spanish bay, etc...).

12. DeafNgari

Last couple days have gone well. Having my pops in town was nice but playing tour guide gets old rather fast. Workouts are still rocking me. I am waking up sore in a way I haven't for at least a year which is always a fun feeling. There is something rewarding about gimping around the next day. I am hovering around 167 right now and slowly going up it appears on the graph being constructed:P but I havent put error bars on it. I head to Seattle for 5 days on friday which means no working out, sat,sun,mon,tues because the chance that our hotel will have a suitable weight room is basically nil. Ohh well some time off will probably do me some good.

13. krosspyder

krosspyder Well-Known Member

dude how did you maintain during your phd? thats impressive.

i will be going into my second masters program in the fall and i need all the help i can get.

im kinda worried. props on your lifestyle man.

14. DeafNgari

Well the answer is just not doing much else... I pretty much do my research, work out, shop for food, sleep. I do have fun between experiments and on the weekends (if I take a day off)... ohh well I love it. What is your 1st masters in and what will the 2nd be?

Life is going well. Seattle conference was awesome (American Society of Mass Spectrometers... yeah Im a member ha). There was 7-8k people there... all dorks (so I fit in). I did not like the idea of 5 days off of lifting so I found a golds gym in the middle of my stay and worked out once.

I am up to about 170 and the measurements (including my waist a smidge) are creeping up. I had always avoided doing squats, deadlifts, cleans, snatches, etc... due to previous injuries.. but now I can do them without being bothered so they are really rocking my body. It is quite fun. Today I throw up 205 on the bench for 4 reps on my 3rd set (135, 185 1st two) which made me quite quite pleased. I could barely 4 rep 185 on my 3rd set 4 weeks ago. Diet has been sporadic but overall regular eatting and pretty healthy minus a weekly in n out trip (Seattle excluded).

Ever been frustrated on how slow your arms or legs get bigger? Me too. So I made a graph... if you assume your arms or thighs are just cylinders of fixxed lengths (unless your arms can get longer... more props to you.. APE) it is easy to see that each added inch of circumference is not equal in terms of the actual volume you are adding. It is actually the area increase of a slice that matters (again fixxed length thing) which changes as radius^2. As you can see if you start with 8 inch arms you add area in a non-linear fashion... for fun I put a line that mocks a linear rise (assuming starting from same area). So the moral: You're going to have to work much much harder for each inch.

Attached Files:

15. Kilter

Kilter Well-Known Member

Damn! You look freaking good here. What an inspiration! That's my new goal. :tu:

16. DeafNgari

Thanks for the compliment... there are days I still wish I were that thin... anywho. Bulk is progressing! Up to 172ish. I put up 225 on the bench today with ease which for me was a big big deal. I am pretty happy with the progress I have been making. I am including a pic... I definately have some slight love handles coming in:P (but shrug had small ones when I began... theyll go away with the cut at the end). Critique if youd like/mind. I think my rear shoulders are underdeveloped... time to troll over my workout and play with it a bit. My arm, quad measurements have creeped up a bit which for me have always been the hardest to get up (well and forearms).

Everytime I have tried to bulk I always half-heartedly do it once I start to put on some fat then just end up back in maitenence but not this time. Thanks for reading.

Attached Files:

17. Silver

Silver Well-Known Member

I think this is going to be interesting to watch, as I've never 'intentionally' bulked. No real comments on the results because I don't know what I'm looking for :lol:

18. MarkY

MarkY Active Member

Looking good. Now a question. I'm sort of in the same mindset as you state above. I "half-heartedly" bulk, but then always revert to maintenance due to putting on fat. How long did you actually "bulk" this time?

I'm currently at about 10% BF and was thinking of bulking until I was at about 12 or 14%. However, I was going to do a slooooow bulk, maybe try and gain a pound a week.

How fast a rate were you gaining pounds? I'm 5'7" and currently weigh about 150. I'd like to get to 160 or 165.

Thanks

19. DeafNgari

Mark- the couples time I bulked before I became set on putting on 20lbs, but by the time I got to 8-10 I got sick of all the eating and loss of figure (not that there was all that much more fat with 8-10, but when I use to have very low BF anything made a big difference). As for weight gain rate. The last two times I tried I shot for 1lb/wk or so. This time around I am going for 2-3lbs/month because that is a more reasonable rate for me to keep up with as far as eating, and it will help minimize some of the weight I do not want.

For me it is all about experimenting, maybe it is because I am a chemist. I thought about doing SUP2, but then thought that while I might not be able to do as well alone as I could with a program like that but I certainly could still make my goals.

20. DeafNgari

It appears I am not eating quite enough as my weight is still hanging around 172. I do not have it in me to count calories right now outside of rough estimates (6months at a time seems to be my limit... I add them up in my head but stopped with fitday, I anticipate +-300 a day). At least I am not eating too much. I plan on adding another ~200-300cals/day this week and then bumping that up more as time goes on.

Wednesday-Sunday I am going to Denver
    Sunday-Tuesday-Vegas
    Tuesday afternoon- Move into new place with the fiance (she is coming out for 2months this summer... we're in seperate states still cause of different schools)

So this will be a good week, but short on workout time.