1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

A bit overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by Heather, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Heather

Heather Active Member

So, I am new around here (I joined awhile back and then kind of left for awhile and now I am back) I have been reading a lot on the board all of the different advice and plans and it is all a little overwhelming.

I have a lot of weight to lose and being a woman I know sometimes we lose the weight even slower :( and I thnk my problem is I get discouraged if I don't see results and I haven't been patient.

Since I have a lot of to lose, the new way of eating and healthier lifestyle is going to take some getting used to. Do you think I should just jump right into the routine (eating, cardio, weights) or do you think that will be an overload?

I am 5'5" and current like :gulp: 196 :doh:not at all impresive and a lot more than I thought I weighed which is never a fun thing to learn. So I am really motivated, just want to make sure I start in a way that I am going to continue and not get burnt out.

2. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Heather,

I am going to jump in and give you an idea to think about. There is a cheap book that will spell out a complete program. You can work with just body weight exercises, free weight exercises or Machine exercises. It spells out a complete diet and what to buy. It is written by a trainer that has been training people for over 37 years, he has written over 42 books. The book should answer all your questions on the plan.

I hope you will buy the book or possibly get it from a library. Read it and decide if you will choose to follow it. He conducted a 6 week study with 109 women, they had an average body weight of 156 lbs, an average height of 5'4", an average age of 37.4 years. They lost an average of 14.94 lbs of fat and gained an average of 3.5 lbs of muscle. They lost 3.25 inches from waist and 2.25 inches from hips. Some women did better than average with over 20 lbs of weight lost.

The book is A Flat Stomach ASAP by Ellington Darden, Ph.D. It is a good and easy read. The program takes less than 90 minutes a week for exercise. It is worth having on your shelf even if you decide to go another way.

That's my advice for you. :gl:

3. Robert2006

Robert2006 Active Member

Start with getting your diet sorted. Then start ramping up your activity levels. You don't [and shouldn't] need to start out with a marathon. Start with small increases. But keep increasing your work levels. Build slowly and you won't even notice the extra work.

4. Ectomorphic

Ectomorphic Active Member

Other people I know that I've gotten into fitness or got themselves into fitness and came to me for advice have said that they found it best if they did the whole deal in steps. Instead of just jumping into everything at once, cardio, weights, diet (which is a huge part), and other, related things, they found they could keep at it longer and get it to be a more permanent change if they changed/added things one by one. People have said that when they just jumped right into everything all at once, they burned out after a few weeks.

Remember that if you force yourself to do something for a long enough period of time, it eventually becomes habit; a part of your daily routine or lifestyle. The catch is that you have to be consistent with it because you're basically teaching yourself a new trick. So you might start out by changing things one at a time and sticking to it for a few weeks or however long it takes you to get comfortable with it as part of your normal routine that you don't want to miss.

In no particular order, you could add cardio, start lifting weights, start eating 4-5 small meals per day instead of 2-3 large ones, make healthier food choices, get a scale, take body measurements, keep a log, and other pertinent things. Yes, it's definitely overwhelming for most people if you start trying to do ALL of this out of the blue one day, overnight. It might be more palatable to change one of these things at a time. When your comfortable with something, move on. If you're in a hurry, this might be a problem. So if you don't plan on dying next week and can do these slow changes over a few months or whatever, then you could do that.

As for getting discouraged by not seeing progress, it might help if you did what I did. I went from a normal analog scale (the kind with a needle/pointer) to a digital scale. The digital scale goes down to 0.2 pound increments. Say I only lost/gained less than a pound from one week to the next. With the analog scale I never noticed that because it's more general, less accurate. I'd get discouraged and add too many more calories or change my plan or whatever. In reality, it was just too small a weight to notice on a normal scale. With the digital scale I could definitely see a change - it might be 169.8 one week and 169.2 the next week, then 168.6 the week after but it was clearly progress. Now, my goal has been to gain weight, while yours is to lose, but the principle is the same.

As for patience, well you're just going to have to get some of that. :p

It's not easy, but you CAN do this! When you get discouraged or find yourself ever lacking in motivation, think of your goals and think of what your current state makes you feel like. And keep coming back to these forums, it's a very positive and knowledgable place. :)

tl;dr version (too long; didn't read):
    • If you burn out easily, small changes may be better, rather than just jumping right in.
    • If you do small changes, work on making them natural parts of your routine. If you make yourself do something consistently and for long enough, it becomes habit.
    • Get a good digital scale that is consistent (it has 0.1 or 0.2 increments). You will be able to see changes, even if they're small.

5. LateStart

LateStart Well-Known Member

This is an EXCELLENT approach, IMO. True, it takes a little longer and therefore requires more patience. The rewards, however, are great. For one thing, making incremental changes in your lifestyle requires a lot less willpower than making a massive, all-at-one-time change.

The sequence I implemented over the last couple of years was:

First, reduce food portion sizes to get calories in line with daily needs
    Add daily multivitamin
    Then add cardio 2-3 days per week
    Later add strength training 2-3 days per week
    Begin to utilize "clean" foods and improve macros (Carbs/Protein/Fat)
    Incease water consumption to 1 gallon/day
    Increase sleep hours from 6 per night to 7-1/2
    Eliminate alcohol from my diet

Each change was a few months apart and wasn't really all that painful to incorporate. Since July of 2005, I have gone from 209 lbs and 28% bodyfat to 188 lbs and 16%. That is roughly a loss of 31 lbs of fat and an addition of 10 lbs of muscle. Yet, because the process was gradual and incremental, I was never hungry or miserable. Plus, my current habits are both enjoyable and sustainable, for life!

As the old saying goes: "You can eat an elephant a bite at a time."

:gl:

6. timwalsh300

timwalsh300 Well-Known Member

Ectomorphic's advice about phasing in lifestyle changes one at a time is some of the best you will ever get.

I also think you should take a look at this thread in the Beginner's forum and some of the stuff I've said there (my second post, in particular) about sticking to a program and keeping things simple.

Tim

#6 timwalsh300, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  7. Hmac58

Hmac58 Active Member

Through my roller coaster of weight loss and gains I've learned this. When you're getting started it is very difficult to do everything right immediately.

If you've cut out soda and fast food you've made a huge leap to getting healthy. If you're getting more exercise this week than last you're making progress.

Look for the positives and don't be hard on yourself. This is not easy. Start with cardio 2 or 3 times a week - slowly increase that over a few weeks to 6 or 7 days a week. There's no rush and no one is going to scold you for not doing it all at once.

I've been back on track now for about 3 weeks myself - but I started around the 1st of February by cutting out the garbage and started eating cleaner, healthier food. I wasn't eating perfect but much better than I had been.

Now I feel wonderful and full of energy. I look forward to getting up and doing cardio in the morning because now I have the energy to do so. I get 8+ hours sleep a night and I don't feel bloated all day long from eating fast food all the time.

Good luck to you - stick with it - be consistent and don't give up on yourself. Stay active on the forums - there are some great people here who will help you along the way.

Monte

8. haleygirl82

haleygirl82 Active Member

hi heather, i know how you feel i have a lot to lose as well as having patience issues :) feel free to message me if you want someone to talk to, good luck!!!

9. zenpharaohs

zenpharaohs Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I think jumping right in actually is preferable. I don't think it is likely to be an overload.

One thing that can keep you motivated is if you see and feel progress, and in the beginning, you can get away with hitting things pretty hard compared to later on when you are leaner.

10. Heather

Heather Active Member

Thanks everyone for stopping in to give me some great advice. It has always been a challenge for me to not be overwhelmed or take the time to sort things out and use being overwhelmed as an excuse. This time won't be like that!! ;)

11. Heather

Heather Active Member

I got my butt out of bed and was at the gym by 5am this morning :eek: that is an accomplishment for me!! I feel great so far this morning and I am hoping to keep going in the mornings!

12. bballer143

bballer143 Well-Known Member

Nice job, Heather! :tucool:

13. Jedi

Jedi Well-Known Member

heh well done Heather :tu: the first two or three weeks are the hardest then things become more of a positive habit, especially as Zen said you start to see progress and are motivated by that :) you may want to start your own journal in the journal forum to chart your progress :)

14. Hmac58

Hmac58 Active Member

Great job Heather! Stay active on the forums - I think it helps to keep fitness on your mind and something to post to hear positive feedback. We all need that! The best thing about losing weight is when people notice and make comments!

Tomorrow morning if you're tired and don't feel like getting up - remember how good you felt about yourself and how proud you were that you were able to do it today. Don't ever forget that.

I hate getting up early - but I hate being out of shape more. I hate not being able to do so many things in the summer because I'm fat. The sacrifice of going to bed early so I can get up early is well worth it.

Keep up the good work!

15. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

What does your workout consist of?

16. Heather

Heather Active Member

I decided to just focus on cardio this week and try to get my body used to getting up that early again as well as working out again. Next week I have a scheduled apt. with a trainer and I am going to go from there.

17. shannonlee

shannonlee Active Member

I commend your commitment! Good for you! :tu:

18. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

Great stuff !!!