1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

5K Challenge

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by leftyx, Jun 9, 2012.

1. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I challenge anyone to run a 5k before Oct. 1, 2012. I don't care if you walk or run. But it should be in a real race. I guess its as much for the spirit of running competitively with others. Or co-operatively if your a hippie. :lol: And really anyone who has run a 5k in a race in the last few months probably doesn't need a challenge.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

As someone who will never meet the 225 Overhead Press Challenge, the 500 Pound Deadlift Challenge, and many others JSF challenges, I'd join you in this, but.....;)

On a more serious note, good luck with the goal and I hope you inspire others to challenge themselves. Jordan, remember that based on where you're at now you have plenty of time to increase the distance. Do it conservatively so that your body has an opportunity to acclimate and you can lessen the chance of injury. You can do this! :tucool:

3. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I appreciate the advice. I intend to take it slowly. I've found this 5k that runs the last day of the challenge, september 30. The hebrew home home run 5k. The good thing is it isn't on the holidays and it's also late in the summer which will be better then the beginning of september which is also the baltimore grand prix auto race. This is all predicated on the hope that my knees stay well. so far so good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

#3 leftyx, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  4. Sedentary_Endomorph

Jumping On

I'm jumping on this challenge. The last organized 5k that I was in was at least 30 years ago. The last year I ran cross country was 8th grade. I must have weighed 140 pounds! Never a great runner, I took it up again as part of my overall fitness routine. I couldn't run much at first--at 250 pounds--my joints and lack of fitness would not permit it. I'm still not a great runner, but now 211 it's doable. I'm running 1-2 days per week now up to 3 miles. A formal 5k would be a good idea as I am doing a Tough Mudder in October. The course is 12 miles!

SE

5. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Welcome to the challenge SE. We have another forum member who has run the tough mudder. And from what he wrote it really is.

6. TooMuch

TooMuch Well-Known Member

Ran 5k last month in 26:28, does that count? :)

7. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Thanks too much but it's not a contest. Glad you finished the race out so well.

8. TooMuch

Good luck to you too :)

9. Sedentary_Endomorph

July 21st

There is a 5k in my home town on July 21st. That's the day!

10. TooMuch

Ran 5k today again in 25:40, almost a minute better :)

11. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Congratulations that was a really good time for you.

12. Sedentary_Endomorph

5 K today

I ran a 5 k today in 27:31--a full 5 minutes better than my two practice runs. Competition makes a difference!

13. TooMuch

Ran 21k in 01:52:01 yesterday :cool:

14. Sedentary_Endomorph

10 k

Followed up my 5k with a 10 k last saturday. Goal was to finish without stopping and average a 10 min/mile. I didn't walk and averaged 9:27. Doing a Warrior Dash this Saturday and a Tough Kidder next month. Been road cycling as well. One major setback however; been nursing an inflamed iliotibial band at the right knee. Seeing the GP tomorrow and will follow up with PT. Have cut back my running and cycling for the next month or so.

SE

15. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Never finished up on this post so here is the final story. I ran a 5k on sept 30, 2012. My time was nothing special at about 43 minutes. My daughter ran too and she did under 9 minutes a mile I believe.
    Not to stop my progress I signed up for another 5k and finished in a bit over 40 minutes.

That's the story and I am very happy I accomplished this goal. Thanks to all who participated in this thread. And good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

16. LWalter

LWalter Member

That's really great!! I must be such a great feeling to accomplish a goal you've been working at for several months. Definitely gives you motivation to workout when you have a goal in mind.

17. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Thanks LWalter. Very nice feeling. I hope you get to feel it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

18. LoneStarChick

LoneStarChick Well-Known Member

Wow! I could really use a challenge, and this one looked good, but these are all so old! No challenges going on currently, I guess. :kickrock:

19. jsalazar

jsalazar Active Member

you and me then :D, im currently working towards running a 5k. i could barely run 1 mile the other day:blank:
    i need to work on my cardio.

20. LoneStarChick

LoneStarChick Well-Known Member

Yeah, my cardio is pretty poor also. I thought about starting a challenge, but it doesn't look like it'd get much traction. I'm running a 5k with my kids in the end of March. Want to keep each other accountable here? When is yours?