1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

53" HDTV for sale...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by John Stone, Dec 2, 2006.

1. The_Tic

The_Tic Well-Known Member

:drool: awwww...now I want one too....

2. SCHTEEVIE

SCHTEEVIE Well-Known Member

Cool. That new DLP looks amazing!

As you may have noticed from my set-up, I had to put the TV slightly higher then normal (I custom built that cabinet to hide the "heating oil tank" (yes we have a very old, but quaint house ;) )
    The tank is accessible from the other side of the wall in the furnace room.
    - only the left half of the cabinet is usable storage - the right side has faux doors.) :whistle:

Anyway - due to my set-up needs, the vertical viewing angle issue is what initially limited me to Plasma.

I have never used AVIA; I find DVE a little strange to navigate.
    It seems like they made it "first time user friendly" to the point where if you know what you are doing and want to get to certain test patterns, it is a pain... or at least it seems that way - I only used it the one time right after I got it, so maybe there is an other way to do it, but I was some what frustrated with how un necessarily long it seemd to take. :bang:

Let us know how you find it when you get DVE. :confused:

#42 SCHTEEVIE, Dec 13, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  3. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

This is definitely the type of TV I'm going to get when I move out of my parents house.

What's with the unusual oval lighting?

4. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Me being a goof in photoshop in a pitiful attempt to highlight the TV. :o

5. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

ahh, I thought it was some ideal illumination to maximize viewing angle and effective brightness. :p

6. SeanB.

SeanB. Active Member

My wife got me this same remote - Harmony 880 for Christmas. :D

I was already a fan of Harmony remotes, but this one really takes the cake!

7. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

I'm SOOOO tempted to order this exact set. $1797 shipped from Frys.

Since you've had it a few days now, is it everything you'd hoped? Have you happened to have hooked a PC up to it to see how good it works? I'll have a MCE PC attached, so PC display is important to me.

I've been planning to get a bit smaller Samsung DLP, but this price is tempting. Sam's has the same TV for $2300+.

8. TarSeal

TarSeal Well-Known Member

What's the difference between 1080p and 1080i? I know john will know...

9. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

That's a great price!

The TV rocks. HDTV is amazing. Still, there are two things I don't like about it:

1) After watching HDTV it makes my standard def. DVDs look fairly lackluster by comparison. The DVDs look very good (especially upconverted to 1080p), but they don't drop my jaw the way good HD programming does. So this is bad because I have a lot of DVDs and now I want to get into HD-DVD and Bluray. :)

2) I have now seen rainbows with this set. Lisa can not see them at all. I can only see the rainbow effect under very limited and specific conditions: usually bright white against black, and then only if I quickly avert my eyes or turn my head. It's not a big deal and it happens infrequently enough that it doesn't really bother me.

Knowing what I know now I still would have purchased the same set in a heartbeat. The picture is incredible looking out of the box, and jaw-dropping once I calibrated it.

"i" stands for interlaced, which means that first the odd lines on the screen are drawn (in 1/60th of a second), then in the next 1/60th of a second the even lines of the screen are drawn.

"p" stands for progressive, which means the entire picture is drawn sequentially in 1/30th of a second.

Progressive pictures are more "solid" (no flicker) and less prone to "artifacting" (noise). Due to these things, there is also a perceived increase of resolution over 1080i.

"1080" simply refers to the vertical resolution.

10. SeanB.

SeanB. Active Member

The "i" stands for interlaced and the "p" stands for progressive. This will either help you out or confuse you further. :lol:
    http://hometheater.about.com/od/beforeyoubuy/a/progressivescan.htm

Edit: John beat me to it - I thought you were on vacation. ;)

11. The_Tic

The_Tic Well-Known Member

12. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Glad to hear. I procrastinated on the deal because I was trying to decide if I should wait until after CES to see the new stuff, and if I really wanted to get a TV with Cable Card capability.

The price promptly went back up several hundred dollars.

13. SeanB.

SeanB. Active Member

CES isn't likely to reveal anything you are going to want to pony up for yet though. You'll be waiting a couple of years before anything shown there becomes affordable.

If you want to look at a "cutting edge" display that is coming down in price, check out the DILA, LCOS, or SXRD - all different acronyms for the same technology.

14. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

Are you so sure?

30% reduction in price on thinner DLPs sounds like something I might consider :)

15. SeanB.

SeanB. Active Member

According to the article linked at the bottom, they are going to be 30% thinner at a 20% price reduction. While that is still excellent news and ample reason to wait on DLP, they don't mention if it's going to yeild any better picture. If you decide to go that route, make sure the get the extended warranty. First gen products are notorious for bugs. I'd imaging cutting 30% of the depth has got to involve some major technical changes.

The best news, in that (second) article, is that LG is going to release a dual format HD-DVD/Blue Ray player. I'd rather someone win the format war and just go to a single format though.

16. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

LG's also releasing a PC HD-DVD/Blue Ray drive as well.

I'm also checking out the Samsung LED DLPs. I'm wondering if these new models include that.

I would consider these new sets evolutions, though. I doubt the engine is that much different, but its projection is probably different to spread the image out faster in a shorter distance via lenses or some such.

17. SeanB.

SeanB. Active Member

No matter how you slice it, things are definitely getting better for the consumer. I can't believe what I could get now for the 3k I paid for my Sony RPLCD just three years ago. Of course, I've been able to enjoy it for that time so that's worth something as well.